You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Chips on cards

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
Evening All,

Just a query,  I've noticed in Live Games that when a player is making a decision he will sometimes put some chips on the top of his cards.   Does this mean anything or is a it just a habit a few player have got into 

Fairly new to this so if I'm asking an incredibly obvious question....  be gentle with me lol

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Hi Jock

I dont know the answer to your question, but I would be interested to know the answer, so thanks for asking it.  On this forum, feel free to ask anything as there are a great bunch of people on here who are only too happy to answer questions. 
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Chips on cards:
    Evening All, Just a query,  I've noticed in Live Games that when a player is making a decision he will sometimes put some chips on the top of his cards.   Does this mean anything or is a it just a habit a few player have got into  Fairly new to this so if I'm asking an incredibly obvious question....  be gentle with me lol
    Posted by JockBMW
    i think it's to stop the dealer from mistakenly grabbing/mucking your cards .
  • edited December 2009
    i was under the same understanding as the previous answer, you can buy special chips in various designs for this too.
  • edited December 2009
    yep its generally to stop dealer thinking you have mucked your cards
  • edited December 2009
    Yip, that's right,does the same job as a card protector, which i've got a rather one ready for the SPT if i qualify!
  • edited December 2009
    i use half a golf ball i cut in half myself :) its a card guard basicly, some ppl just use chips from there chip stack. you can buy card guards and some players even think there lucky, being a Superstitious bunch we like are lucky charms lol
  • edited December 2009
    Not that you don't already know the answer by now but i thought i'd chime in anyway lol

Yes, the answer given is correct. It is to protect the cards a signify that they are still in play. Greg "The Fossilman" Raymer gets his nickname from using a fossil as his card protector but people who don't bring a specific one to tourny's tend to just use a chip from their stack
  • edited December 2009
    i like gnomes can i use 1 of them lol
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Chips on cards:
    i like gnomes can i use 1 of them lol
    Posted by 1arnace
     You can use anything else. I sat with Michelle Orpe before and she had a Nemo fish that when you squeezed it its eyes popped out, was great fun. Iv also played with James Brownings other half and she has a Shell, apparently its called Michelle!

• edited December 2009
    Iv also played with James Brownings other half

lol
  • edited December 2009
    You should always guard your cards, either physically or with a chip/protector.

At the WSOP this year, someone pushed all-in and got called by a larger stack. The caller flipped their cards over and the shover found the dealer had mucked their cards. Hand dead. Caller wins, shover out and very unhappy.

I would especially recommend it for self-dealt games too, avoids confusion.
  • edited December 2009
    How Cool,

Decided to watch a little of Sky Poker last night before going to bed,  Watching for about 30 seconds when I hear......... 

"we have a question from JockBMW"  I'm famous yippee,  they're talking about this question lol

Answer was as already stated here by many of you helpful chaps,  then Mr Giddens, pretty sure it was him, tells this amazing story about a French guy who's cards were mucked by the dealer incorrectly,  quick as a flash the guy notices that no one has seen this.  SO......

he pretends to cover his cards with his hand and goes all in,  everyone at the table folds and he picks up the pot.... WITH NO CARDS lol

You HAVE TO LOVE THIS GAME