You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

your thoughts?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Small blind 100.00100.007800.00
profman15Big blind 200.00300.007840.00
 Your hole cards
  • K

DTWBANDITCall 200.00500.003560.00
jay1663Fold    
oscarpetFold    
whipitFold    
Call 100.00600.007700.00
profman15Check    
Flop

• K
  • K

Bet 200.00800.007500.00
profman15Call 200.001000.007640.00
DTWBANDITFold    
Turn

Bet 1000.002000.006500.00
profman15Raise 2000.004000.005640.00
All-in 6500.0010500.000.00
profman15Call 5500.0016000.00140.00

profman15 
  • K

River

Win 16000.00 16000.00
Hi all,

Well i've taken a break for a couple of months(6week cruise plus a bit of poker apathy) and came back for a friendly DTD. Its funny but i couldn't get back into the betting rythm or hand assessment really. I'd been fairly involved and this is a hand that highlights my thoughts. Please put what you'd be thinking of doing and any criticisms(i can take it!).

With k4 0ffsuit i wouldn't normally involve myself. Folds around to sb who completes and i take the free card where the flop cheers me up! SB had not really had chance to complete or raise uncontested before as far as i can remember so no clues there. He bets out small. I decide to just call. Turn offers straight and flush draws. He bets bigger than i'd expect for value with nuts so test with rer. All in follows. Has he Kx ?(my 4 should be counterfeited by river though i expect to lose if he has case k). 

So what would he take this line with? 
Pair in his hand so does he think i've the king?
Two spades (9T s may/should tempt him down but the all-in?
Outright bluff(no previous evidence and both above average stacks). Nuts may look for value.

I decide to call? What do you think of this action? Appreciate your views....... No matter the outcome, i'm tempted to think that this was a poor call. I'll put what he had on later. Cheers...

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Think the way you've played it makes it pretty obvious you have Kx minimum, so if opponent is competent and knows this, and still shoves, then I think you're beat. If he had any sort of draw (which I think is unlikely) I think he'd just flat the turn and try to bink a river.

Personally, I think you should just flat the turn. When you min raise what are you ecpecting him to call you with?

After all of the action, most likely holdings are 77, 88 and hands like KQ/KJ/KT imo.
  • edited May 2013
    It's a 1/3 pot size bet on the flop which looks really week, I would be re-raising here. 600 or so.

On the turn given our line on the flop, I would just be calling for pot control.

With the reraise on the turn, I would probably be folding there's not much we are beating here.

But would really depend if you had any reads on the opponent to suggest anything different.

Wonder if he has some w acky hand like 8 spades x spade lol
  • edited May 2013
    You can't fold the turn after raising. You have trips and when you raise with a hand like that it has to be because you think you'll get action from worse hands. If you don't think you can get action from worse hands, then why raise at all? Do we want to be bluffing with hands as strong as trip-Kings? We don't want to be doing anything with the idea of testing our opponent.

You shouldn't think of the turn call in isolation. You need to have your plan in mind before making the raise. Planning to raise-fold would be very bad, I think.

I think you should just call the turn bet. When we raise we should expect our opponent usually to fold most hands that our King beats and continue with hands that beat us. Obviously that's not a desirable outcome.

So just flat call the turn bet. Allow him to keep betting with his weaker hands or bluffs on the river rather than forcing him to fold. If we raise, we probably only get it in when we're beaten, against most opponents.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: your thoughts?:
    You can't fold the turn after raising. You have trips and when you raise with a hand like that it has to be because you think you'll get action from worse hands. If you don't think you can get action from worse hands, then why raise at all? Do we want to be bluffing with hands as strong as trip-Kings? We don't want to be doing anything with the idea of testing our opponent. You shouldn't think of the turn call in isolation. You need to have your plan in mind before making the raise. Planning to raise-fold would be very bad, I think. I think you should just call the turn bet. When we raise we should expect our opponent usually to fold most hands that our King beats and continue with hands that beat us. Obviously that's not a desirable outcome. So just flat call the turn bet. Allow him to keep betting with his weaker hands or bluffs on the river rather than forcing him to fold. If we raise, we probably only get it in when we're beaten, against most opponents.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Umm, if we raise, and face an all in, can our King 4 kicker ever be good enough of the time?

Inmo, I don't think we are, so I think it's a fold. One mistake is better than two lol
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: your thoughts? : Umm, if we raise, and face an all in, can our King 4 kicker ever be good enough of the time? Inmo, I don't think we are, so I think it's a fold. One mistake is better than two lol
    Posted by LARSON7
    That's missing the point though. You can't afford to allow yourself to make one action, see what happens and then decide what it all means. You need to think ahead.

Raise-folding is worse than raise-calling because raise-folding shows you're not thinking ahead. Raise-calling at least shows you're making plans, even if they're not very good ones at the moment.

Simply put; having a bad plan is better than having no plan at all because once you start thinking ahead you've put yourself on a path to make good plans in future. Otherwise you're just clicking buttons.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: your thoughts? : That's missing the point though. You can't afford to allow yourself to make one action, see what happens and then decide what it all means. You need to think ahead. Raise-folding is worse than raise-calling because raise-folding shows you're not thinking ahead. Raise-calling at least shows you're making plans, even if they're not very good ones at the moment. Simply put; having a bad plan is better than having no plan at all because once you start thinking ahead you've put yourself on a path to make good plans in future. Otherwise you're just clicking buttons.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    We can a have a strategy going ahead.

In chess, you can think several moves ahead. There is pretty standard permetations as to what might be moved, and the follow up moves.

It's maybe a bit harder in poker. In this example, we re-raise the turn, opponent can fold ship or call. If he re-raises I understand your point this must have been what we wanted by re-raising.

It's not a game of 100% certainty. We have re-raised and got quite an absolute answer.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: your thoughts? : That's missing the point though. You can't afford to allow yourself to make one action, see what happens and then decide what it all means. You need to think ahead. Raise-folding is worse than raise-calling because raise-folding shows you're not thinking ahead. Raise-calling at least shows you're making plans, even if they're not very good ones at the moment. Simply put; having a bad plan is better than having no plan at all because once you start thinking ahead you've put yourself on a path to make good plans in future. Otherwise you're just clicking buttons.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    We can a have a strategy going ahead.

In chess, you can think several moves ahead. There is pretty standard permetations as to what might be moved, and the follow up moves.

It's maybe a bit harder in poker. In this example, we re-raise the turn, opponent can fold ship or call. If he re-raises I understand your point this must have been what we wanted by re-raising.

It's not a game of 100% certainty. We have re-raised and got quite an absolute answer.

• edited May 2013
    flat turn and flat most rivers prob

hate min raising ott
  • edited May 2013
    hate the min raise on the turn i prefer a shove then a call 
  • edited May 2013
    Cheers guys. I agree min raise was wrong. Guy had K7 offsuit so i was crushed.......onward and upward eh?
  • edited May 2013
    Flat turn, revevaluate river, prob call if he bets small