You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Everyone going broke here?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
On the river here, is anyone just calling this?

LARSON7
Small blind  £0.15 £0.15 £38.87
pantsbluff Big blind  £0.30 £0.45 £12.19
  Your hole cards

Adicts89 Raise  £0.90 £1.35 £28.60
mtt Fold     
LARSON7 Call  £0.75 £2.10 £38.12
pantsbluff Fold     
Flop

• A

LARSON7 Check     
Adicts89 Check     
Turn

LARSON7 Bet  £1.05 £3.15 £37.07
Adicts89 Call  £1.05 £4.20 £27.55
River

LARSON7 Bet  £6.00 £10.20 £31.07
Adicts89 Raise  £14.10 £24.30 £13.45
LARSON7 All-in  £31.07 £55.37 £0.00
Adicts89 All-in  £13.45 £68.82 £0.00
LARSON7 Unmatched bet  £9.52 £59.30 £9.52
LARSON7 Show

Adicts89 Show
  • A
  • A

Adicts89 Win Full House, Aces and 4s £57.50

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Reads?

Bet turn bigger

Bet river smaller. As played you are beaten when he raises loads, if readless I prob call given odds, but it's AA TT or 44 more than smaller boats or overvalued 4x. 
  • edited May 2013
    Gotta ask yourself what he re-raises with here on the river. In this case its either a bluff or the nuts...Or maybe 2nd nuts (10s). He won't raise an ace here. Possibly raising A4 which we beat. But there's really no case for shoving over the top. If he's bluffing he folds, if he has it we lose more...
  • edited May 2013
    Losing set over set is probably not where the major leaks are in your game. You should bet bigger on the turn.
  • edited May 2013
    I like turn bet, gets value from 3s-10s which he can check back here. Hes played it pretty horribly flatting the turn going to river with a 4.20 pot. If he does this with AA he does it with A4 also. Once you overbet river and he raises his line makes sense for AA however terrible it is. I prob put it all in though
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Everyone going broke here?:
    I like turn bet, gets value from 3s-10s which he can check back here. Hes played it pretty horribly flatting the turn going to river with a 4.20 pot. If he does this with AA he does it with A4 also. Once you overbet river and he raises his line makes sense for AA however terrible it is. I prob put it all in though
    Posted by RobIles
    That was my thinking. He's slow played it to death, and was thinking if he had me beat he wouldn't have played it in such a way.

So with a rush of blood I shoved, waiting to collect the money lol

• edited May 2013
    Larson i was unable to reply to this until today but this hand is a very interesting one. 

Ive spoke with others too over this hand.

Basically what my first thoughts are is look at our opponents line. Hes raise pre, checked flop, called our nut turn and then just over click raised over our overbet on the river. 

Now when we put all that together we have to assume they have nutting hands. So few people will bluff like this. Can we include A4 in their range, if not then i think we're almost always beat. That said i probably cant fold in game. 

Reads would be useful in this spot, but i know youve taken a shot here so your unlikely to have any. 

Best of luck

P.S. i love the overbet on the river. 
  • edited May 2013

I had sat down at the table and the same guy doubled me up with a set of 7s, when he had AK, on an A 7 x board. So that was the only hand/ read I had on opponent.

Yeah, bearing in mind what every1s said it should just be a call to the reraise.

But he has taken such a strange line through out, just coming out with aggression on the river, that's why i thought i was good.

He has the nuts on the turn against 4th nuts, and the pot on the turn is £4!!, i don't like this line at all.

• edited May 2013
    I had sat down at the table and the same guy doubled me up with a set of 7s, when he had AK, on an A 7 x board. So that was the only hand/ read I had on opponent. Yeah, bearing in mind what every1s said it should just be a call to the reraise. But he has taken such a strange line through out, just coming out with aggression on the river, that's why i thought i was good. He has the nuts on the turn against 4th nuts, and the pot on the turn is £4!!, i don't like this line at all.
    Posted by LARSON7
    The issue is ive spoken to several people much better than me. And the basic responces we where getting said unless A4 is in their range we're beat. TT/AA more often AA. Therefore why would we call v a range that only beats us. 

The issue is though we are readless so its hard to tell that. 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Everyone going broke here? : The issue is ive spoken to several people much better than me. And the basic responces we where getting said unless A4 is in their range we're beat. TT/AA more often AA. Therefore why would we call v a range that only beats us.  The issue is though we are readless so its hard to tell that. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I know the villain is a TAG player, he'll open up 6-8 tables at a time. So given you know this don, are you suggesting this is an easy fold? 
  • edited May 2013
    I think it's a fold to be honest. I can't see any half decent player raising for value with a worse hand than ours, or bluffing after we've overbet the river. Even A4 probably flats tbh seen as he has the nut worst house (not counting 46 and 4T obv).

In game, dunno if I could make the fold, I might just sigh call even though I know I'm beat but 100% never 3betting all in.
  • edited May 2013
    when you overbet river, what do you think oppo think's about this for oppo to now raise

gonna flat all hands that u beat

gonna raise air/nutted hands

gonna be nutted the majority or do you think oppo thinks your overbet is weak ?

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Everyone going broke here? : I know the villain is a TAG player, he'll open up 6-8 tables at a time. So given you know this don, are you suggesting this is an easy fold? 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    No no no, not one i can personally make. Although im not great at this "range assignment", what range would you put villian on in this spot mate? If we cant inc A4 then we cover 66, TT is possible and AA is possible i think thus making it a fold. 

Im not good enough to make that fold in 15 seconds thinking time, but ive spoken with far better players who all think it is/ 
  • edited May 2013
    im lmao here on people think u can fold  come on ffs 

in game really how many are u folding  peeps only say this when they see the outcome im never folding here 

if u posted the hand n said is it a call if the villain shoved every 1 would say yes :) 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Everyone going broke here? : No no no, not one i can personally make. Although im not great at this "range assignment", what range would you put villian on in this spot mate? If we cant inc A4 then we cover 66, TT is possible and AA is possible i think thus making it a fold.  Im not good enough to make that fold in 15 seconds thinking time, but ive spoken with far better players who all think it is/ 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Op gave no reads when he posted hand readless and I don't think we should fold v random sky villain at 30nl getting 3/1 when only 7 combos beat us.  Against a competent reg after hero over bets river then I think it's a fold when he gets raised
  • edited May 2013
    im lmao here on people think u can fold  come on ffs  in game really how many are u folding  peeps only say this when they see the outcome im never folding here  if u posted the hand n said is it a call if the villain shoved every 1 would say yes :) 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Ive already admitted i cant fold in game. 

However when you assign a range i dont think we're ahead often 
  • edited May 2013
    was discussing similar hand on another forum recently, mixed opinions. Villain is repping a super super super narrow range, all of which beats us. Now the question is, is he ever bluffing? And I doubt it strongly. I suppose we sometimes have to factor A4 into this though which maybe makes it a call
  • edited May 2013
    I've said, in game, I probably call but I wouldn't be happy about it. If I looked at it post-session like this then I might be able to find folds in future.

FWIW, a very good player commented somewhere else about this and I agree after his explanation that a call is probably the worst option. If he can be over-valuing worse houses and 4x hands, then we should jam and get value from the times he has these cos he's never folding after raising an overbet, but if he can't over-value these type of hands, then it's a fold.

Villain is probably bluffing like 0.001% of the time as played.

How many hands can he possibly have that raise for value that we beat. Assuming we're readless as OP is then I'd assume villian could open A4 from the CO, but I'm pretty much completely disregarding 4T, and 46 is pretty unlikely for most.

99.9% of people just don't overbet bluff rivers at this level like ever, so think we can assume Hero NEVER has a bluff.

I think it's fine saying you'd probably call in-game but when you look into it more, I don't see how we can call readless.
  • edited May 2013
    tbh when addicts raised the river im never going all in im just calling here 
  • edited May 2013
    I've said, in game, I probably call but I wouldn't be happy about it. If I looked at it post-session like this then I might be able to find folds in future. FWIW, a very good player commented somewhere else about this and I agree after his explanation that a call is probably the worst option. If he can be over-valuing worse houses and 4x hands, then we should jam and get value from the times he has these cos he's never folding after raising an overbet, but if he can't over-value these type of hands, then it's a fold. Villain is probably bluffing like 0.001% of the time as played. How many hands can he possibly have that raise for value that we beat. Assuming we're readless as OP is then I'd assume villian could open A4 from the CO, but I'm pretty much completely disregarding 4T, and 46 is pretty unlikely for most. 99.9% of people just don't overbet bluff rivers at this level like ever, so think we can assume Hero NEVER has a bluff. I think it's fine saying you'd probably call in-game but when you look into it more, I don't see how we can call readless.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Without trying to figure out is raising better than calling, we need to be good more often to raise than to call
  • edited May 2013

After the turn the pot is £4.05.

Opponent has a total monster, and has played this way to passive.

Take my hand out of the equastion, if i check the river, what is his bet pot? Bit more than pot? 3/4 pot?

Whatever way he is not getting much more value with the 2nd nuts.

It's due to the way it played, i shoved, i know the raise on the river looks super strong, but i still thought i was good. It's so hard to put him on aces or tens, outside of the action on the river.

Also, i don't think we can fold ever fold to the raise on the river, there is so many times we are good here.

On the turn, i want to get it all in, and i got my wish lol

At the end of the day, we can wait for the total nuts, but the 4th nuts isn't to shabby.

• edited May 2013
    After the turn the pot is £4.05. Opponent has a total monster, and has played this way to passive. Take my hand out of the equastion, if i check the river, what is his bet pot? Bit more than pot? 3/4 pot? Whatever way he is not getting much more value with the 2nd nuts. It's due to the way it played, i shoved, i know the raise on the river looks super strong, but i still thought i was good. It's so hard to put him on aces or tens, outside of the action on the river. Also, i don't think we can fold ever fold to the raise on the river, there is so many times we are good here. On the turn, i want to get it all in, and i got my wish lol At the end of the day, we can wait for the total nuts, but the 4th nuts isn't to shabby.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Outside of the action on the river is exactly why i have them on this range of just AA/TT 
  • edited May 2013
    I think Borin Loner mentioned this either earlier on this thread or maybe it was another, but you're looking at the absolute strength of your hand and not the strength of your hand relative to your opponents range.

Rather than just guessing, what hands do you put in villian's range to raise your overbet on the river? Obv we know he raises with TT and AA, what other hands do you think he would raise with (that he can feasibly have after the way it played)?
  • edited May 2013
    After the turn the pot is £4.05. Opponent has a total monster, and has played this way to passive. Take my hand out of the equastion, if i check the river, what is his bet pot? Bit more than pot? 3/4 pot? Whatever way he is not getting much more value with the 2nd nuts. It's due to the way it played, i shoved, i know the raise on the river looks super strong, but i still thought i was good. It's so hard to put him on aces or tens, outside of the action on the river. Also, i don't think we can fold ever fold to the raise on the river, there is so many times we are good here. On the turn, i want to get it all in, and i got my wish lol At the end of the day, we can wait for the total nuts, but the 4th nuts isn't to shabby.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Don't worry about whether villain played his hand correctly

I wouldn't be too hard on you for going broke in game, but you need to start thinking about your hand v villains likely range rather than oh I have the 4th nuts lets go broke. You think he didn't play AA well, fair enough, but you need to think what hands open pre, checks flop, c/c turn then raises a river overbet. If you think your still good to shove it in and get called by a range of enough worse hands then you played it fine
  • edited May 2013
    Larson when you overbet river your polarising your range, so when oppo raises you just gotta ask yourself is:

1. is oppo over valueing hands that I beat
    2. bluffing
    3. nutted

yes you could be merging for oppo to call with a bluff catcher but readless your just not

if your readless then just call
    You have to be so certain that oppo going to raise trips and call off and also if oppo can hold A4
    Also is oppo bad enough to call off with A4/trips, what do they think of you.

Very easy to say lower down that everyone is bad, but as you move up you will come across better players.

Without knowing the player you must not be rash