You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How do I play?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Over the last few days I've posted up quite a few hands.

In most of them I've been making pretty bad mistakes. You can see them down below this if you havnt seen them already /> />>>>>>>>

I know these hands are in a vacume, but it does represent how I play. In these hands I've also put down on my thought processes and why I did what I did. To get decen feedback on where I am going wrong.

I don't seem to have anyone style, sometimes I am loose and aggressive, sometimes I am tight and aggressive, other times I am tight and passive, like the hand when I had the nut flush draw on a paired board.

I was just wondering, from looking at my hands do I need to radically overall how I play cash? Make a lot of changes and adjustments?

I'm going to try and change it up over the next week or two, where i'm going to have a good go at 10nl.

I know it's maybe hard for people to answer based on a few hands etc, but any comments feedback on how people think I should change my game would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you:)

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In short, never be tight passive, like ever, and I wouldn't be loose aggressive either at micro stakes.

You've read Dohhh's guide, just stick to a tight aggressive style. Play in position as much as possible, play strong hands, bet bet bet for value.

At microstakes against weak, passive players we just wanna b/f, b/f, b/f cos they'll call down light loads but when passive players then decide to raise, they'll have something big. (obv we don't b/f when they raise and we're sat with a hand where we want them to raise).
  • edited May 2013
    Larson when it come to what work best and when what I generally think myself is you should be most of the time tight aggressive the only time you should use passive play is if you have a maniac or LAg where you can then use a trapping trick.
    as for loose aggressive play the only time I would play like that is when you are in position, have 1-2 villians and they are loose preflop but become very tight and passive post flop.

with styles of play it is quite useful to not have just 1 style of play the more you vary you play the harder it will be for villain to read you.

IMO The best way to vary your playing style is preflop always do a raise if it is folded round to you. But still have a tight hand selection especially if UTG if your the cut off you could start to include hands like QJo A8+s 78s+ and OTB Q/J 10o Axs most ABs and some ACs. then postflop is where to change and you can become more loose cbetting most hands  that you made a raise with preflop even if you missed. the main time not to bother with a cbet would be if you faced maniacs calling stations or if you have 3+ callers still to act and your OOP.
  • edited May 2013
    Cheers lads,

Sometimes I just try and be 2 fancy, next few sessions i'll try and get stuck into ta.
  • edited May 2013
    Don't worry about labelling your play tag lag etc. try make the right play for the given situation you are in. From your posts there are basic concepts in poker which you are not applying correctly
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: How do I play?:
    Don't worry about labelling your play tag lag etc. try make the right play for the given situation you are in. From your posts there are basic concepts in poker which you are not applying correctly
    Posted by grantorino
    What basic concepts mate?
  • edited May 2013
    LARSON7 Small blind  £0.05 £0.05 £10.76
    A Big blind  £0.10 £0.15 £29.99
    angermoose Sit out     
      Your hole cards
    • A

devonfish5 Fold     
    sRaise  £0.40 £0.55 £12.91
    bulgaden Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  £0.65 £1.20 £10.11
    A Call  £0.60 £1.80 £29.39
    sCall  £0.30 £2.10 £12.61
    Flop

LARSON7 Bet  £1.05 £3.15 £9.06
    ACall  £1.05 £4.20 £28.34
    sAll-in  £12.61 £16.81 £0.00
    LARSON7 All-in  £9.06 £25.87 £0.00
    A Fold     
    s Unmatched bet  £2.50 £23.37 £2.50
    LARSON7 Show
    • A

sShow
    • K
    • K

Turn

River

LARSON7 Win Flush to the Ace £21
    The times ive played you in my opinion this hand sums your game up...
  • edited May 2013
    Its nothing personal your asking for opinions on your game... If you stopped playing hands like this you'll do a lot better! Not just you but most micro players... I think you get bored?
  • edited May 2013
    Maybe i do play a lot of hands lol How is it going? Still winning by multi-tabling
  • edited May 2013
    No mate as you have witnessed my poker downfall is rage lol

Im to on edge at the minute and not in a good poker zone so im having a break...
  • edited May 2013
    lol You are a good solid player. The break will do you good.

You were doing really well at the lowerstakes games, and no doubt this will continue when you hit the tables again.

Good luck on your return
  • edited May 2013
    Larson, the main thing... and this is gonna sound like a massive thing (and it is), but you have to change your entire mindset towards how you think about hands and the game.

You have to actually think properly about every decision and why you're doing it.

For instance, why did you 3bet small with A4s? Did you want everyone to fold? Cos they won't for that size. Did yuo want everyone to call you when you have a weak hand and you're in the worst position on the table? If so, that's bad.

When you 3bet are you thinking BEFORE you actually do it, what hands will he flat with, what hands will he 4bet with, what am I going to do if he 4bets?

Even if you're thinking is wrong, you should at least be able to give a why for every single decision you make. When you bet it should be because you think there are hands in his range that are better than yours that you think you can make fold, or because there are hands in his range worse than yours that you think he will call with.
  • edited May 2013

Larson, the main thing... and this is gonna sound like a massive thing (and it is), but you have to change your entire mindset towards how you think about hands and the game.

You have to actually think properly about every decision and why you're doing it.

For instance, why did you 3bet small with A4s? Did you want everyone to fold? Cos they won't for that size. Did yuo want everyone to call you when you have a weak hand and you're in the worst position on the table? If so, that's bad.

When you 3bet are you thinking BEFORE you actually do it, what hands will he flat with, what hands will he 4bet with, what am I going to do if he 4bets?

Even if you're thinking is wrong, you should at least be able to give a why for every single decision you make. When you bet it should be because you think there are hands in his range that are better than yours that you think you can make fold, or because there are hands in his range worse than yours that you think he will call with.

I made a mistake in the hand. I was trying to target the other player (not the original raiser).

That's why my 3 bets so small. I wanted a call, and no matter what came down i was having a stab at taking down the pot. I know i'm out of position and it may  be a bad idea (given position), but that was my intention.

It's ashame for the opponent he didn't 4 bet, really imo he had to here against 2 opponents. Any 4 bet and i am away.

I know i am behind his range, with such a small 3 bet, i'm not expecting a fold, but a good amount of the time I can take this away post flop.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: How do I play?:
    Larson, the main thing... and this is gonna sound like a massive thing (and it is), but you have to change your entire mindset towards how you think about hands and the game. You have to actually think properly about every decision and why you're doing it. For instance, why did you 3bet small with A4s? Did you want everyone to fold? Cos they won't for that size. Did yuo want everyone to call you when you have a weak hand and you're in the worst position on the table? If so, that's bad. When you 3bet are you thinking BEFORE you actually do it, what hands will he flat with, what hands will he 4bet with, what am I going to do if he 4bets? Even if you're thinking is wrong, you should at least be able to give a why for every single decision you make. When you bet it should be because you think there are hands in his range that are better than yours that you think you can make fold, or because there are hands in his range worse than yours that you think he will call with. I made a mistake in the hand. I was trying to target the other player (not the original raiser). That's why my 3 bets so small. I wanted a call, and no matter what came down i was having a stab at taking down the pot. I know i'm out of position and it may  be a bad idea (given position), but that was my intention. It's ashame for the opponent he didn't 4 bet, really imo he had to here against 2 opponents. Any 4 bet and i am away. I know i am behind his range, with such a small 3 bet, i'm not expecting a fold, but a good amount of the time I can take this away post flop.
    Posted by LARSON7
    This seems confusing to me. If you are trying to isolate bb you need to 3bet big. It's also not a great hand to be trying to isolate oop with imo.  Not so sure you will take it away postflop as often as you think either,
  • edited May 2013
    Who are you targeting if not the only person showing an involvement in the pot?

If GT is right and you're trying to iso the BB, do you know/care that you're definitely getting called by the opener too?

Flawed thinking RE: him not 4betting. Yes in this spot he makes you fold pre and doesnt end up losing, but why would he want to make someone fold when he is IP with a hand that crushes you? We 4bet to get called by worse or fold out better... you're not folding AA to any bet and if he thinks 4betting makes you fold everything but KK/AA (n, why would he do it?ot saying he'd be right about that).

You're behind his range for just an open raise? Then just fold. If he's that tight that you're behind his range for just opening then you're in serious trouble V his range for calling 3bets or 4betting.
  • edited May 2013
    Don't over complicate what is a very simple level of cash poker

Players that beat nl10 play very straightforward thinking poker -

You intentions are good but your application is way too much fancy play and beleive me I know all about FPS )

if your going to iso then do it with value hands

Your actully making it more difficult for yourself