You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Bad start to the month HELP!

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
hi guys I have had terrible start to may only 11days in and i`m down around £300 playing between 20-40nl.The last year I have been keeping track of my results and this is the 1st month I have started the month losing, it`s defo effecting me mentally, usually have a little downswing either in middle or near end but always seem to make a profit.

I also ain`t playing my best but ain`t running great either i`m just no where near my a-game and my confidence is never been so low just wondering if they are any helpful advice from others that have had similar months in past help get through the month was really thinking just giving up this month and take couple weeks off start next month fresh.

any advice appreciated thanks

Comments

• edited May 2013
    read my diary............then feel good about your game lol
  • edited May 2013

Thought of posting some of your hands on the Poker Clinic or sending some in to the Analyse My Play shows on Sky Poker TV?

• edited May 2013
    serious advice now.....

Drop down or have  the 2 weeks off....not sure if you are aware of my situation but I tried to play through it and blew my roll. (innuendos ftw)

If you are not having a break then def drop down, even to 4nl and get some confidence back mate......impossible to play well without it
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Bad start to the month HELP!:
    Thought of posting some of your hands on the Poker Clinic or sending some in to the Analyse My Play shows on Sky Poker TV?
    Posted by Sky_Poker

theres too many hands lol nah don`t want 2 fill up with clinic with some standard coolers/bad beats when people genuinlely want advice to improve their game but may post a couple see what yous think thanks.

• edited May 2013
    serious advice now..... Drop down or have  the 2 weeks off....not sure if you are aware of my situation but I tried to play through it and blew my roll. (innuendos ftw) If you are not having a break then def drop down, even to 4nl and get some confidence back mate......impossible to play well without it
    Posted by waller02
    your 1st post lol

2nd post yeah going to drop down get my confidence back never felt so bad about my game in the whole time playing poker but cheers for advice.

• edited May 2013
    It's not that bad Liam, £300 @ 20-40nl on avg is about 10 buyins?

Not just saying it, but I often win/lose that in a day. This shouldn't be unusual, if it hasn't happened before you're very lucky!

That being said it's still cr@ p when you're losing.

Breaks/moving down levels works for some. I try and get a winning session in asap, the confidence soon comes back.

Grind/focus really hard in your next session, maybe start with fewer tables and think through even the most basic decisions twice, get in to rock solid grind mode, then increase and book a win.

Wouldn't panic @ 10 buyin swings though, gl!
  • edited May 2013
    It's not that bad Liam, £300 @ 20-40nl on avg is about 10 buyins? Not just saying it, but I often win/lose that in a day. This shouldn't be unusual, if it hasn't happened before you're very lucky! That being said it's still cr@ p when you're losing. Breaks/moving down levels works for some. I try and get a winning session in asap, the confidence soon comes back. Grind/focus really hard in your next session, maybe start with fewer tables and think through even the most basic decisions twice, get in to rock solid grind mode, then increase and book a win. Wouldn't panic @ 10 buyin swings though, gl!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    yeah had these swings before just think its affecting this time because i`m in the red this month usually if I go on downswing i`m already in profit in the month so don`t feel that bad.

Right now though honestly confidence is all time low and i`m usually really confident play any1 at right up to 50nl because I feel when playing ma best  I don`t think i`m dog againist most at these stakes apart from a few players.

but thanks for advice m8 yeah think dropping down like waller said is the way to go.
  • edited May 2013
    From what I see your a good player, u don't become a bad player overnight.  Concentrate on your play and trust ur a good player and the maths of your good play will be shown soon by he money Iv earned.

Chin up mate!
  • edited May 2013
    What Dohhhh said mate

That amount is standard to me and alot of others over those limits.

You know your more than good enough to win at these levels and when your being hit with coolers and suckouts it really does hit your confidence and then leads to you making mistakes which then makes your problems even worse.

Just stick to 20nl 3 or 4 tabling until you start feeling better about things and im sure you will be fine.

Just PM me if you need any help

Good luck mate.

Daz.
  • edited May 2013
    hi Liam,
    deffo drop levels and play less tables and shorter sessions
    I'm playing just the 1 table atm,and finding it better and I get a definitive result from that,ie;a win lose or draw and no other tables or factors are involved.
    also by playing 1 table my concentration and reads,etc are better all round,i think.
    maybe give yourself a 2 buy-in stop loss per session.

gl buddy,
    :)
    dev

• edited May 2013
    I had a bad start to this month aswell mate. This was my first losing start to a month since i started playing a bit more seriously this january, so i know where your coming from.

You just need to go over your hand histories after every session and make sure none of the losses were down to bad play as this is under your control if you want it to be, low confidence often leads to bad play, and can cause auto pilot, not thinking through hands as you normally would.

I'm not sure how many tables you normally play but reducing the tables as dohhh said should help as you will have more time to focus on hands and make good decisions.

You defo seem a decent player so I'm sure you will get back to your A game soon enough an start booking wins again, variance is a b i t c h which can't be controlled so just play solid and the ££££ will come.
  • edited May 2013
    I don't play any cash, so cant really comment on the amount of buy-ins etc as I don't have a clue what I'd be talking about.

I had a really bad February this year.  Confidence took a massive dent as I hit a minor downswing and then a major downswing when I started chasing my money back - going up stakes, making bad calls and generally playing pretty poor as I was getting more and more anxious over winning my lost money back.

What really helped me was taking a break.  I took a month off poker altogether, and totally blocked it from my mind.  After a month I came back with a new start with a new bankroll... started on lower buy ins (I only do MTTS), playing for fun more than anything else and the money didnt really matter as long as I was confident I was playing to the best of my ability - i.e. not chasing back the money I had lost.  Ive only just made back the money I lost initially... but a break did help massively to regroup and break out of my frustrated mindset.

So yeah, from my experience a short break wouldnt be a bad idea and maybe drop down a level when returning to ease back into it.

Hope this helps.

All the best.
  • edited May 2013
    good advice from some great players thanks guys, just to answer in a whole yep defo goin to drop down or play less tables usually play 4-6 tables 20nl+ will also just plod on and keep making right decisions regardless of outcome.hopefull my confidence comes back soon beacuse yeah it`s tough to play my a-game without it.

foldufairy- i`ve took poker a little more serious also for around a year ,out the year I have had 1 losing month,1 break even and rest been winning months but I don`t play a lot of hrs compared to some regs but coz I have work and college to attend but I mainly play poker because I love the competitiveness involved and who doesnae like money lol.
  • edited May 2013
    go back to nl10 mate...

there's always a few fish about.  lol

^^^^ <*((((((< ^^^^

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited May 2013
    Don't worry too much because it's "the start of the month". You don't need to win every single month to make a profit.

If it matters that much to you, collate it as an annual figure, Then a few days of a downswing in the middle of the year won't be that much of a mental problem.