You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

N00b where to begin?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all,

I've been reading quite a few books but have always put off actually playing for real until now. The question is what are the best type of games to get some experience and maybe get some winnings, low stakes, Sit n Go (the tables seem empty ?), BH's, free rolls , hyper etc

Any advice appreciated. Also if anybody could recommend links or books on particular strategies for theses types of games. Thanks !

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In Response to N00b where to begin?:
    Hi all, I've been reading quite a few books but have always put off actually playing for real until now. The question is what are the best type of games to get some experience and maybe get some winnings, low stakes, Sit n Go (the tables seem empty ?), BH's, free rolls , hyper etc Any advice appreciated. Also if anybody could recommend links or books on particular strategies for theses types of games. Thanks !
    Posted by Calndest1n
    Hey Cal!

Welcome to the forum!

When you are starting out to get a feel of the tables, you can play for fun at the cash games section "free play", this would be helpful to give you a feel of tables get yourself used to the site.

If you are a new member, you will also have a certain amount of points you can use for freerolls, which are MTT tournies. These can be fun as well as getting used to the site lay out. Tho, the play on these can be fast, crazy and loose.

Once you have a good feel for the site, maybe try some of the low stake games,2p 4p cash, or low stakes MTTs. They do a deepstack tournie every night for a £1 buyin. Normally between 7 and 8. Given it's structure it allows plenty of time for play, but if you get a good run they can go on for a while.

Enjoy your poker, and if you ever have some hands you want feedback on post them up on here, people are really good at helping you out.

Good luck and have fun
  • edited May 2013

You're right, the regular, play-to-a-winner style sit and go's are dead on Sky Poker and they don't seem to want to do anything to rectify that, sadly.

However, I would say that these sit and go's are easily the best way to learn the game. Your losses are much more limited than in a cash game and you're far more likely to win than in an MTT. You also gain experience in tournament style play much more quickly because you play through each stage of an MTT in a much shortened format. You'll play short-handed and heads-up too, which is a vital skill.

Alot of people suggest learning the game in DYM's but that's bad advice in my opinion. All that will teach you is how to fold and not how to play for the win.

So I think you should play SNG's to learn the game... and the best place to do that at the moment is another site. I won't name it but you know the one. Hopefully Sky will get their act together on SNG's soon.

Come back and post on this forum if you have any issues and we'll still help you out. We don't care if the hand history is from another site.

• edited May 2013
    Thanks all makes sense