You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

the boxing thread

edited February 2014 in The Rail
I thought I keep all boxing stuff in here instead. My fav boxers are wladimir klitscko, saul alvez and carl froch.

Anyone see the ricky burns fight last night. What a tough lad, he was struggling a wee bit, but switched his style to rope a dope, dragged the guy into a war, he was shattered and quit on his stool.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In Response to the boxing thread:
    I thought I keep all boxing stuff in here instead. My fav boxers are wladimir klitscko, saul alvez and carl froch. Anyone see the ricky burns fight last night. What a tough lad, he was struggling a wee bit, but switched his style to rope a dope, dragged the guy into a war, he was shattered and quit on his stool.
    Posted by meadowskil
    yeah i seen it, ricky burns has the heart of a lion, took some thunderous shots and just totally sucked it up and kept going, i think he was the only man in there with a heart to be fair because to give up on a still over a broken hand or wrist is pathetic. i think burns would have took every round for the remainder of the fight when he quit and clinched a draw if gonzales carried on.

cant wait for froch v kessler 2, gona be a classic.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: the boxing thread:
    In Response to the boxing thread : yeah i seen it, ricky burns has the heart of a lion, took some thunderous shots and just totally sucked it up and kept going, i think he was the only man in there with a heart to be fair because to give up on a still over a broken hand or wrist is pathetic. i think burns would have took every round for the remainder of the fight when he quit and clinched a draw if gonzales carried on. cant wait for froch v kessler 2, gona be a classic.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    me to, ive actually got tickets to go mate as well. :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to the boxing thread:
    I thought I keep all boxing stuff in here instead. My fav boxers are wladimir klitscko, saul alvez and carl froch. Anyone see the ricky burns fight last night. What a tough lad, he was struggling a wee bit, but switched his style to rope a dope, dragged the guy into a war, he was shattered and quit on his stool.
    Posted by meadowskil
    poor chap struggling to wee,and then sat on his stool,no wonder he was shattered :):):):) ok, ok, i no i,m such a pain xxx
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: the boxing thread : me to, ive actually got tickets to go mate as well. :)
    Posted by meadowskil
    lucky you, how much did you pay for your ticket? you will get value for money anyway thats for sure!!!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: the boxing thread : lucky you, how much did you pay for your ticket? you will get value for money anyway thats for sure!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573

90 quid mate. tbh the betting on Kessler, giving 3 to 1 for him to win on points.

One of my favs lucas matthysse koed lemond steroids Peterson yesterday in 3 rounds. His two losses imo he won against yanks.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: the boxing thread : 90 quid mate. tbh the betting on Kessler, giving 3 to 1 for him to win on points. One of my favs lucas matthysse koed lemond steroids Peterson yesterday in 3 rounds. His two losses imo he won against yanks.
    Posted by meadowskil
    yeah stayed up to watch it, deadly puncher mattysse, him and garcia will be a battle of the bombers, did you watch the devon alexandre v lee purdy fight, think kelle brooke would have taken alexandre out if he wasnt injured
  • edited May 2013
    glad I've seen this thread, not a huge boxing fan, but love to watch the big fights. 

Watched the Ricky Burns fight against the fella from central America I think? maybe 2 weeks ago?

Can you shed any light on what happened?

The Puerta Rican fella totally owned him for 6 rounds, in the 7th, had him on the ropes within a few blows of a knockout. Then Burns came back in the back end of the 7th, totally dominated the 8th, and then the fella quit on his chair before the 9th?

Something like that. 

He claimed to have a broken hand?

Was that ever proven? It's the most dramatic turn around in a fight I've ever seen. And I've seen all the Rockys. 

Has to be true about his broken hand? either that, or it was rigged?

Comms claimed "burns broke his heart"? 

Not really. Fella was all over him for 7 rounds out of 12. I doubt u wud get a World title fight if you can't box for 12 rounds?

Thoughts?
  • edited May 2013
    glad I've seen this thread, not a huge boxing fan, but love to watch the big fights.  Watched the Ricky Burns fight against the fella from central America I think? maybe 2 weeks ago? Can you shed any light on what happened? The Puerta Rican fella totally owned him for 6 rounds, in the 7th, had him on the ropes within a few blows of a knockout. Then Burns came back in the back end of the 7th, totally dominated the 8th, and then the fella quit on his chair before the 9th? Something like that.  He claimed to have a broken hand? Was that ever proven? It's the most dramatic turn around in a fight I've ever seen. And I've seen all the Rockys.  Has to be true about his broken hand? either that, or it was rigged? Comms claimed "burns broke his heart"?  Not really. Fella was all over him for 7 rounds out of 12. I doubt u wud get a World title fight if you can't box for 12 rounds? Thoughts?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    if your fighting for a world title theres no way you quit on your stool with a broken hand, he gave ricky burns all he had and totally punched himself out and didnt have the heart to continue, i remember danny williams fighting on with a dislocated shoulder and still carried on fighting and winning for that matter, he could have just jabbed and moved and tried to get threw the fight but he took the gutless way out in my opiniion, class fighter though all the same!!!
  • edited May 2013
    Had froch about 4 rounds up. Def at least two, but imo a clear win for him. 

Id like to see him move up to light heavyweight or fight ward in nottingham.
  • edited May 2013
    Had froch about 4 rounds up. Def at least two, but imo a clear win for him.  Id like to see him move up to light heavyweight or fight ward in nottingham.
    Posted by meadowskil
    he has to fight ward for his own piece of mind i think just to see if he has what it takes to revenge his loss, i highly doubt it, andre ward is head and shoulders above everyone in the super middleweight division, id like to see him him fight george groves or james de gale, they are potentially big domestic fights in maybe a years time.
  • edited June 2013
    Heres a tip for you guys to put a tenner on.

Put 1p pecne on Sergey Kovalev to beat Nathan cleverly in Cardiff. He will be underdog betting wise, but he could be worth a gamble.
  • edited July 2013
    david haye v tyson fury, cannot wait til david haye silences that big mouthed tool. think it will be over in 4. big bet going on!!!
  • edited July 2013
    david haye v tyson fury, cannot wait til david haye silences that big mouthed tool. think it will be over in 4. big bet going on!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    cant stand david haye, got completely schooled by Wladimir and imo could come unstuck against an improving Tyson Fury.

Haye poor cardio, he will have to end this within the first 6 rounds.
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: the boxing thread : cant stand david haye, got completely schooled by Wladimir and imo could come unstuck against an improving Tyson Fury. Haye poor cardio, he will have to end this within the first 6 rounds.
    Posted by meadowskil
    im a fury fan, but both fighters will be gassed if it goes more than 4/5 rounds
  • edited July 2013
    Who is brook gonna fight then?

Hearn says it is a big name.
  • edited July 2013
    Who is brook gonna fight then? Hearn says it is a big name.
    Posted by DrSharp
    Maidana is prob the fave choice atm
  • edited July 2013
    In Response to Re: the boxing thread : cant stand david haye, got completely schooled by Wladimir and imo could come unstuck against an improving Tyson Fury. Haye poor cardio, he will have to end this within the first 6 rounds.
    Posted by meadowskil
    good big man allways beats a good little man thats why vlad schooled him, think haye would do better in a rematch, tyosn furys a b u m and will be found out for sure, what makes you think haye has a cardio problem, he finishes his fights so early you wouldnt no, if he can go 12 rounds with vladamir then theres nothing wrong with his cardio.