You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT with overlay cancelled this morning

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
So after the site came back, I regged for a £30 speed bh at 7:30am thinking one other runner DTM quite fancy a hu duel with tons of overlay. Well we get to 7:30 no other players register and what do sky do, cancel the tournie!

Now come on sky, you cant ramp your proposition when it suits you and advertise overlay, eg for an evening me or super roller, and then pull the plug when it suits you for a smaller mtt. 

Another sky poker own goal. 

Comments

• edited May 2013
    In Response to MTT with overlay cancelled this morning:
    So after the site came back, I regged for a £30 speed bh at 7:30am thinking one other runner DTM quite fancy a hu duel with tons of overlay. Well we get to 7:30 no other players register and what do sky do, cancel the tournie! Now come on sky, you cant ramp your proposition when it suits you and advertise overlay, eg for an evening me or super roller, and then pull the plug when it suits you for a smaller mtt.  Another sky poker own goal. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    I don't know the full details, but an unexpected additional Outage was necessary at around 7.30am this morning, to resolve a small issue which arose from the original, scheduled Outage. It was a very brief outage, right across the SB&G Platform, but I would assume that all Tourneys were postponed/cancelled if their scheduled start time was within the Outage.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: MTT with overlay cancelled this morning:
    In Response to MTT with overlay cancelled this morning : I don't know the full details, but an unexpected additional Outage was necessary at around 7.30am this morning, to resolve a small issue which arose from the original, scheduled Outage. It was a very brief outage, right across the SB&G Platform, but I would assume that all Tourneys were postponed/cancelled if their scheduled start time was within the Outage. Apologies for any inconvenience.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay thanks for the feedback, but this happens all the time. I have had several occasions where small field mtts have cancelled due to low numbers, I am not sure if you need 3 players to make a mtt run, but for me overlay is overlay and the site should run the game.
  • edited May 2013

Fair point Mr Gooner.

There has to be a line drawn though, it would be self-defeating for the Site AND the players if there were not.

If, for whatever reason, only 1 or 2 players Register for a Tourney with a Guaranteed Prize Pool & the Tourney runs, what do you imagine the long-term outcome would be? Correct! - the Guarantees for most Events would be removed. That would be lose-lose for everyone.

As poker players, we all chase value, & rightly so, but Overlay is never a good thing long-term, as it is not sustainable. There is a budget for overlay (it's called "subsidy" in the Business) but it has to be tightly managed, as it simply takes spend from elsewhere in the promotional budget. That money all gets spent on Promotions one way or another, but "subsidy" is far from the most optimal way to spend it. 

Hopefully, in the future, the Lobby Description will say "minimum x players required". Everyone knows the position in advance then.  
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: MTT with overlay cancelled this morning:
    Fair point Mr Gooner. There has to be a line drawn though, it would be self-defeating for the Site AND the players if there were not. If, for whatever reason, only 1 or 2 players Register for a Tourney with a Guaranteed Prize Pool & the Tourney runs, what do you imagine the long-term outcome would be? Correct! - the Guarantees for most Events would be removed. That would be lose-lose for everyone. As poker players, we all chase value, & rightly so, but Overlay is never a good thing long-term, as it is not sustainable. There is a budget for overlay (it's called "subsidy" in the Business) but it has to be tightly managed, as it simply takes spend from elsewhere in the promotional budget. That money all gets spent on Promotions one way or another, but "subsidy" is far from the most optimal way to spend it.  Hopefully, in the future, the Lobby Description will say "minimum x players required". Everyone knows the position in advance then.  
    Posted by Tikay10

That makes perfect sense Tikay and yes I agree somewhere possibly in the mtt lobby, it should say min runners to run.