You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SKY POKER *THE BIG GAME*

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Wouldn't it be good if sky followed the pokerstars big game format for it's televised cash games.  i'd love the chance to sit at a table with greats like matthew le tissier and norman whitside. I could tell people I played against them and they might think I was athletic rather than a lardy a*se pushing poker chips back and forth (mostly forth) across a table.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    This has come up before,  

Think the possibility of "The Big Game" having issues with Sky "Borrowing" their format, was one of the reasons it wasn't insitigated 

But I agree, a great idea 
  • edited May 2013
    jus call it the 'not so big game' an make a couple differneces.. sureley every site has satalites into bigger games, only not all live an televised.. but must be ways round that
  • edited May 2013

These suggestions will be considered, but please remember, the idea is to get these Shows televised on Sky Sports, that is the commercial angle which justifies the spend, because it exposes Sky Poker to a new audience, many of whom are not poker savvy, & therefore do not currently have accounts with Poker Sites. And that generates new sign-ups.

Sky Sports require us to give them a certain type, or profile, of player, so that the Shows are, broadly, interesting for their Sports viewers. The best players on Sky Poker, with due respect, are not necessarily interesting to watch for a Sports audience - entertainment is the key word.

By the way, the second "Sky Poker Cash Game" for Sky Sports was recorded around a month ago, & is currently in Edit. We will let you know when tx dates are finalised.   

• edited May 2013
    I will look forward to it Tikay. Rastafish and Rob Yong made the last series for me.

If you are sticking with the sports stars I would recommend some more talkative characters. Jimmy White was quieter than anticipated.

Id like to see a boxer at the table - Audley, Eubank, Haye. Someone with a big mouth and a big ego.

• edited May 2013
    if u could promote it right i  would have a satalite system using the poker points, this surely would encourage deposits and play -- you could have a base points 'freeroll' to 'the big cash game'- say 250 points this feeds to higher semi- points or real money buy-in which feeds the monthly final again points or real money-- 
    the money sky may save on C4P could go to production etc

could be way off but daily 250pts base freeroll

weekly 1kpts feeder to 
    monthly 5k points final to the big daddy live game with sports stars and pros combined.. then its just thinkin bout how to run the live event- seeing as players would be using there own points/money, you'd need to come up with another way of inducin action so the qualifier woulnt nit up to book some cash... maybe a seperate TSP package for the 'most profiting player' 

promo summin like this right and u got a winner..!!

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER *THE BIG GAME*:
    I will look forward to it Tikay. Rastafish and Rob Yong made the last series for me.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    He had a nine, you know? A nine. I don't know if he mentioned it but he definitely had a nine, at least.

• edited May 2013
    ...Sky Sports require us to give them a certain type, or profile, of player, so that the Shows are, broadly, interesting for their Sports viewers. The best players on Sky Poker, with due respect, are not necessarily interesting to watch for a Sports audience - entertainment is the key word. ... 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Quick Q: Then why does management keep picking nits and/or people who are mute at the table?

There are plenty of players at the lower limits who tick 2 of the 3 boxes.

(1) [X] - Player gives action at the table, lots of hands, big pots = Interesting TV.
    (2) [X] - Player has good social skills, likable and good in front of the camera.
    (3) [  ] - Player is a Professional, and they will make great decisions, most likely to win.

Just for an example, AFAIK Tommy Dyer fits the description above, but isn't chosen over other, really nitty, really camera shy pros.
    Heck, as much as I think he's a total fish at the tables, I can even see why Scotty was picked. The guy ticks box 2 and (arguably) 3. He'll rep the site well along with showcasing a little personality for the show too.

Just puzzles me as to what your criteria REALLY is. And while I agree that bringing on names not in the poker world to appeal to wider audience is a solid move, some of the picks have been... ugh, not so great.

Learn off the competition, emulate the other shows produced by the bigger more successful sites, and you'll be on the right track (imo). Any player who doesn't play recreationally should tick ALL THREE boxes every time, without hesitation. The whole idea behind these shows is for your pros to give SkyPoker a good image, and let everyone know you're not just some small wishy-washy site people should overlook.

The base you have to work from here gives SkyPoker a huge opportunity to leave their footprint on the UK poker scene. Just baffles me anyway how this chance isn't been lapped up for all it's worth.

10 internet points for the mods if they don't delete my post. 5, if you give me warning and a reason for doing so, purrrrleeeez. Thank you. :D
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER *THE BIG GAME* : Quick Q: Then why does management keep picking nits and/or people who are mute at the table? There are plenty of players at the lower limits who tick 2 of the 3 boxes. (1) [X] - Player gives action at the table, lots of hands, big pots = Interesting TV. (2) [X] - Player has good social skills, likable and good in front of the camera. (3) [  ] - Player is a Professional, and they will make great decisions, most likely to win. Just for an example, AFAIK Tommy Dyer fits the description above, but isn't chosen over other, really nitty, really camera shy pros. Heck, as much as I think he's a total fish at the tables, I can even see why Scotty was picked. The guy ticks box 2 and (arguably) 3. He'll rep the site well along with showcasing a little personality for the show too. Just puzzles me as to what your criteria REALLY is. And while I agree that bringing on names not in the poker world to appeal to wider audience is a solid move, some of the picks have been... ugh, not so great. Learn off the competition, emulate the other shows produced by the bigger more successful sites, and you'll be on the right track (imo). Any player who doesn't play recreationally should tick ALL THREE boxes every time, without hesitation. The whole idea behind these shows is for your pros to give SkyPoker a good image, and let everyone know you're not just some small wishy-washy site people should overlook. The base you have to work from here gives SkyPoker a huge opportunity to leave their footprint on the UK poker scene. Just baffles me anyway how this chance isn't been lapped up for all it's worth. 10 internet points for the mods if they don't delete my post. 5, if you give me warning and a reason for doing so, purrrrleeeez. Thank you. :D
    Posted by Smitalos

I'm warning you that I won't delete your post 

Do I get 15 Points 

Mod_JockBMW ;o)

• zzrzzr
    edited May 2013
    a bit bored of this cash game on sky to be honest. why not mix it up with a dym and a bounty hunter and tourney, the games that a lot of people play, it would be more interesting to see if the reg pro's played it the same as the they keep tell us.
  • edited May 2013
    a bit bored of this cash game on sky to be honest. why not mix it up with a dym and a bounty hunter and tourney, the games that a lot of people play, it would be more interesting to see if the reg pro's played it the same as the they keep tell us.
    Posted by zzr
    I could not think of much worse poker wise than to watch a DYM on the tele!
  • edited May 2013
    I agree it would be good to have a SnG or something different but pleeeease not a DYM, it wuold be the worst thing ever to watch imo.
  • edited May 2013
    I'd watch almost anything, as long as it didn't have Rastafish in it.

I gave up on the last couple of episodes of the last cash game, he was just spoiling it for me.
  • zzrzzr
    edited May 2013
    all I ment was to mix it up a bit
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER *THE BIG GAME* : I'm warning you that I won't delete your post  Do I get 15 Points  Mod_JockBMW ;o)
    Posted by JockBMW
    I literally lol'd when I read this Jock. 15 points to Gryffindor!
  • edited May 2013
    I'd watch almost anything, as long as it didn't have Rastafish in it. I gave up on the last couple of episodes of the last cash game, he was just spoiling it for me.
    Posted by FCHD
    He had A nine, you know? Did I mention it before? Well I'll say it again. He had A nine.

(Repeat until your ears bleed)

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: SKY POKER *THE BIG GAME* : Quick Q: Then why does management keep picking nits and/or people who are mute at the table? There are plenty of players at the lower limits who tick 2 of the 3 boxes. (1) [X] - Player gives action at the table, lots of hands, big pots = Interesting TV. (2) [X] - Player has good social skills, likable and good in front of the camera. (3) [  ] - Player is a Professional, and they will make great decisions, most likely to win. Just for an example, AFAIK Tommy Dyer fits the description above, but isn't chosen over other, really nitty, really camera shy pros. Heck, as much as I think he's a total fish at the tables, I can even see why Scotty was picked. The guy ticks box 2 and (arguably) 3. He'll rep the site well along with showcasing a little personality for the show too. Just puzzles me as to what your criteria REALLY is. And while I agree that bringing on names not in the poker world to appeal to wider audience is a solid move, some of the picks have been... ugh, not so great. Learn off the competition, emulate the other shows produced by the bigger more successful sites, and you'll be on the right track (imo). Any player who doesn't play recreationally should tick ALL THREE boxes every time, without hesitation. The whole idea behind these shows is for your pros to give SkyPoker a good image, and let everyone know you're not just some small wishy-washy site people should overlook. The base you have to work from here gives SkyPoker a huge opportunity to leave their footprint on the UK poker scene. Just baffles me anyway how this chance isn't been lapped up for all it's worth. 10 internet points for the mods if they don't delete my post. 5, if you give me warning and a reason for doing so, purrrrleeeez. Thank you. :D
    Posted by Smitalos

+1 
    couldnt agree more.!!

• edited May 2013
    great post smit