You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Would anyone else play this draw this aggressively in the very early stages of DYM?!

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
LONG-TIME Small blind   15.00 15.00 1855.00
Graveltrax Big blind   30.00 45.00 1980.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

TOMBRADY12 Call   30.00 75.00 1830.00
jomac Call   30.00 105.00 1840.00
Dozza Raise   150.00 255.00 2185.00
BLUE988 Fold        
LONG-TIME Fold        
Graveltrax Fold        
TOMBRADY12 Call   120.00 375.00 1710.00
jomac Call   120.00 495.00 1720.00
Flop

TOMBRADY12 Check        
jomac Check        
Dozza Bet   495.00 990.00 1690.00
TOMBRADY12 All-in   1710.00 2700.00 0.00
jomac Fold        
Dozza Call   1215.00 3915.00 475.00
TOMBRADY12 Show
  • A

Dozza Show
  • K
  • K

Turn

River

TOMBRADY12 Win Flush to the Ace 3915.00   3915.00

Comments

• edited December 2009
    + does anyone know how much more ive got to raise it pre-flop to get rid of these fish?! i called his all-in because i had him covered (500 chips left).

But why would he put his whole tourney life on the line at this very early stage with just a flush draw?

comments much appreciated.
  • edited December 2009
    I had the same situation in a cash game over the weekend and was advised to raise it 5 x BB plus one BB for each limper. So if you raised it up to 210 or even more you should get rid of the most of the bad hands but some players do like calling with suited cards and are hard to get rid of.
    As for playing very strongly with only a flush draw, This tends to be coming a common event in the DYM games.
    Firstly, they have a chance to win the hand by getting you to fold or they then have about a 30% chance of hitting there card on the turn or flop.
    Not a lot you can do if they get lucky.
  • edited December 2009
    hi dozza

i dont think u played the hand badly, just got unlucky that your opponent made their flush.
    I think part of the all in play is that it is a 9 high flop, so they put you on a steal with a couple of higher cards.  They then have two ways to win, you folding or hitting the spade.

There is an arguement for folding here though.  As you say, its early enough in the dym for you to outplay your opponents, plus you could be up againt a set of 9's etc after the flop.

unlucky mate
  • edited December 2009

If I'm gonna play ace 3 suited, and they give me that flop, then absolutely I'm gonna play it that strongly. Not gunna play ace 3 of spades, flop 2 spades, then fold!

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    hi dohhh

yes, i would tend not to be in the pot with a3 suited, but the flat call seems to be looking for a flush hand.  Surprised he called the re-raise, but you're right, once the nut flush draw lands, he's going to be getting busy.
  • edited December 2009
    hey dohhhh,

3 out of 6 players cash in DYM, so if that was me with A3 suited in that spot, i would have definitely folded and carried on playing until the later levels waiting for a better spot. sure im 150 chips down after making the dodgy call pre-flop (which i wouldnt have made) but im not exactly crippled and still relatively close to the other stacks in terms of chips. To put your whole tourney life on the line with odds of 2/1 at this very early stage seemed a bit silly to me, he must have had a good idea he was getting called after my pot size bet.

The only thing i put him on was limping in pre-flop with kings, queens. mayb even jacks, or making a set with 9s. I could have got away but was curious to see what he had called my 5BB raise with.

Nice comments Buistyboy, would you have been disciplined enough to fold the kings?
  • edited December 2009
    he could have limped pre-flop with aces aswel lol
  • edited December 2009

I played these DYM's on another site for a 2/3 week period maybe 18 months ago.
    The only real winner here is the site.
    I think they are terrible things to play if you are trying to progress as a poker player and develop your game.
    Seriously if I was to become a poker coach I would ban my pupils from going near them, but I understand, as an established player, confiedent of his/her game, they can become profitable.

Dozza I fold it pre flop 100% of the time, but you have to get inside this blokes head, and if hes calling pre flop for a flush (thats basically what he is doing) He's alot closer to htting his flush on the flop than pre flop, so hes never going away.

And I don't fold kings! lol

DOHH

• edited December 2009
    yes, i would play it that aggressively coz if i was on a dym table it is due to a misclick and i would be trying to get off it asap.  in fact i would just shove pre lol
  • edited December 2009

I may have missed it somewhere but do you say what size of DYM it is? if this is 30p 60p or up to £3 DYM then it's pretty satndard to come across that down there. £5  and above you tend to see a slight raise in game and would come across it less often. The stake size can dictate the types of plays you are likley to see.

DOHHH is right though, if he is going to play A 3 at all what is he hoping for other than what appears, an overcard and the nut flush draw so 12 outs i think - at 4 % an out on the flop he is racing if you have kings or lower, he has the Nut flush draw to fall back on if you have his ace dominated and as he is holding one it is less likley that you have PP aces. With your pot size bet he is probably putting you on the overpair to the board and discounting trips from your range at this point (even on a flushing board, heads up your less likley to be THAT protective unless you have a pair and nothing more) so he is almost sure the ace is good if it comes along with any spade

EDIT* the above is presuming that the guy is trying to work out what you have at all, have gone away and thought about i have decided this would not be applicable as he has called you pre-flop aand is obviously doing that "I Hope I Hit A Hand" thing lol

• edited December 2009
    They are profitable dohhhhhhh... they just easy non-risk way of making lil bit of money.
  • edited December 2009
    5.50 DYM, i'd expect to see this at the 30p tables but was surprised to see this type of play made at the 5.50 level.
  • edited December 2009
    A 3 way pot with that sort of flop... bin your kings when you get reraised.