You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Can I only book winning sessions at 10nl playing like a LAG, yet only beat 4nl playing like a nit?

This 10nl run is over a fair few sessions on a couple of networks now.

Doesnt make much sense

Comments

• edited May 2013
    u cant bluff on 4 nl as alot or beginners play there so basically play like a nit premium hands only and when hit bet big 

i prefer the bigger stakes 30nl - 50 nl as they respect your raises so u can bluff alot more 
  • edited May 2013
    Could be just luck. You are best sticking to the same style of play for 10nl as 4nl. The standard isn't that much different, still a lot of bad players, Are you playing less tables at 10 nl, makin you play looser?
  • edited May 2013
    lol donk you can bluff a lot at 4nl given the right table/ players.

Its a myth to say you cant.
  • edited May 2013
    This just aint true, I'm pretty sure you could win at pretty much any level on Sky, you can certainly do it at any level from 4NL - 30NL (they're the only ones I have experience of).

Depends on what your opponents are like, you shouldn't say I'm a TAG or I'm a LAG (or w/e) so that's how I play all the time, you just choose the option which stands to make the most money from the type of opponent you have at the time.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Why:
    This just aint true
    ????

It is true.

It might not be conventional, but it is certainly true.

at 10nl, granted mostly on another network, but some on Sky.

I did not keep of how many sessions I played transferring my normal 4nl game. I would estimate about 15-20 and it was about break even overall.

I then moved to a wider range and more aggro game. Basically it seemed the players just called me down lighter, and enabling me to get paid off.

Over about 25 sessions I would say about 15winning, 5 breakeven and 5 losing.

I think it was due to the face up nature of my 4nl game not being good enough to beat 10nl.

I know this isnt a great sample size, but the games just seemed easier when playing more LAG than TAG.

Although I agree about playing the type of players, thats very true.
  • edited May 2013
    If you have any understanding of poker whatsoever and have a big enough br (even just 15bi's) then just play 10nl imo. Zero point in playing 4nl
  • edited May 2013
    I always get shouted down for this but I do believe there is a difference between NL4 and NL8 and difference again to NL10. They do not play the same.

However, as Lambert said, its all about how the table and its inhabitants are playing the game.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Why:
    If you have any understanding of poker whatsoever and have a big enough br (even just 15bi's) then just play 10nl imo. Zero point in playing 4nl
    Posted by percival09
    That is a bit harsh to all the 4nl grinders.

Have had several circa £300 months at 4nl.

Hardly any thinking required.
  • edited May 2013
    Agree with lambert, It's all about adapting Calcalfold , atm i've been playing 4 tables at 10nl lets say 3 of them i might be playing really solid tag poker but due to how one table is playing and the specific opponents i'm up against i might be playing a really lag style. I don't go into a session thinking right i'm going to mix it up loads today or i'm going to mega nit up, i sit down get a feel for the table and make the right adjustments e.g. loose table of stations i will play like a rock, be patient and pick them off. A table full of nitty grinders i'm going to mix it up try and put them in awkward spots etc etc- don't be so quick to conclude that one style of play is more effective try and adjust to each specific situation- i think the thing is with nl4  you may not have to adjust so often as alot of the time you will be facing a table of stations so can rock up and that will be the most effective way of playing, obviously as you move up that changes a bit. Thats just an assumption btw as have never played much nl4.