You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM Advice needed asap

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
I've been playing the lower level ones for quite a while now, and am finding it impossible to progress due to so many bad calls getting rewarded, dominating hands losing etc etc. So I was just wondering at what level do these players stop playing. For example when do players stop calling 5x raises with suited Aces then call on all-in on a 4-to-flush when u hav KK/QQ, early in the tourney?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    quit poker IMO.  if you cant crush a DYM at that level then thats the best strategy.

seriously what is it with these people.  OMFG I don't wanna play fish cos they suck out OMG OMG OMG

edit:  if you consistantly lose, then maybe you are the fish.  have you ever thought about that?
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM Advice needed asap:
    quit poker IMO.  if you cant crush a DYM at that level then thats the best strategy. seriously what is it with these people.  OMFG I don't wanna play fish cos they suck out OMG OMG OMG
    Posted by scotty77
    Cheers mate.
  • edited December 2009
      The best way i have found of playing the low level DYMs is just to play tight early doors and let the chancers take eachother out and then begin to expand your game at the bubble stage. The point of these tournys is not to amass large amounts of chips but to outlast 3 other players. So sit back see how many loose players there are and just play pot control against them until certain you have them beat.

The bubble usually comes quite quickly in these games and if you have folded every hand you will still have a very playable stack with real fold equity.

Good luck
  • edited December 2009
    Instand reply without even reading the msg, just the title, is PLEASEEE STOP PLAYING THEM! THEY R THE DEVIL!

I'll read the msg now....

Read it, same applies....I hate the structure, I hate the idea that sitting there folding is a profitable strategy i just HATE them full stop.

My advice, QUIT!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009

Haha I swear I hadnt read anyone elses reply when I wrote mine, thats uncanny!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
      The best way i have found of playing the low level DYMs is just to play tight early doors and let the chancers take eachother out and then begin to expand your game at the bubble stage. The point of these tournys is not to amass large amounts of chips but to outlast 3 other players. So sit back see how many loose players there are and just play pot control against them until certain you have them beat.   The bubble usually comes quite quickly in these games and if you have folded every hand you will still have a very playable stack with real fold equity.  Good luck
    Posted by Talon
    I know it's all about play tight, don't play anything almost, but what are the hand ranges that are advisable to play? for example should I just fold anything lower than AK/AA/KK/QQ?
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to DYM Advice needed asap:
    I've been playing the lower level ones for quite a while now, and am finding it impossible to progress due to so many bad calls getting rewarded, dominating hands losing etc etc. So I was just wondering at what level do these players stop playing. For example when do players stop calling 5x raises with suited Aces then call on all-in on a 4-to-flush when u hav KK/QQ, early in the tourney?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    sorry 2 b the 1 that tells u this,the answer is u dont there r fish at every level????
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM Advice needed asap : I know it's all about play tight, don't play anything almost, but what are the hand ranges that are advisable to play? for example should I just fold anything lower than AK/AA/KK/QQ?
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    just play AA to be sure IMO.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to DYM Advice needed asap : sorry 2 b the 1 that tells u this,the answer is u dont there r fish at every level????
    Posted by millwise11
    I understand you, but why have you made it a question?
  • edited December 2009
     I have seen a guy who plays at the 2.25 level and he uses the same tactic everytime. He sits out for the first 15 minutes and then joins and plays aggressively. Many times he has cashed before he plays a hand and if he hasnt then 1 or 2 players are out and he still has 1800 chips to play with. I do not like this tactic but it does tend to bypass the silly call and suck out phases of the game and go straight to bubble play which is a skill to itself.

With big holdings like AA or KK sometimes the best policy is to go all in preflop as this will eliminate the marginal hands from calling and anyone  who does call is a long way behind.  It is sometimes better to take the blinds than to allow the opponent to overtake
  • edited December 2009
    I hate the structure, I hate the idea that sitting there folding is a profitable strategy i just HATE them full stop.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    +1

I play DYMs quite often, mostly at £10+1 level, but they bore the helll out of me. The only reason I play them is that I make a small profit overall (probably win about 66% of the time). I think the blinds are too quick, meaning that if you lose one decent-sized pot you very quickly find yourself in shove/fold territory. I think they'd be better with 7-10 minute blinds, as you'd have more of a chance to re-build your stack through standard play instead of having to shove cos you've only got 4bbs left...
  • edited December 2009
     I have seen a guy who plays at the 2.25 level and he uses the same tactic everytime. He sits out for the first 15 minutes and then joins and plays aggressively. Many times he has cashed before he plays a hand and if he hasnt then 1 or 2 players are out and he still has 1800 chips to play with. I do not like this tactic but it does tend to bypass the silly call and suck out phases of the game and go straight to bubble play which is a skill to itself.   With big holdings like AA or KK sometimes the best policy is to go all in preflop as this will eliminate the marginal hands from calling and anyone  who does call is a long way behind.  It is sometimes better to take the blinds than to allow the opponent to overtake
    Posted by Talon
    I can see the merits to this strategy, but even when you get down to bubble play there are still some outragious calls, and this is for their tourney life. The amount of times i've been called by rag aces when pushing with KQ-KJ is amazing. I know sometimes you want these calls if u hav a big ace urself but its still frustrating.
  • edited December 2009
    ps, my advice would be to play tight but not too tight early on. If you get the odds to see a flop/another card go for it in the first couple of levels, it's not costing you much, and a lucky straight/flush/weird 2pair will put you in the comfort zone.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM Advice needed asap : +1 I play DYMs quite often, mostly at £10+1 level, but they bore the helll out of me. The only reason I play them is that I make a small profit overall (probably win about 66% of the time). I think the blinds are too quick, meaning that if you lose one decent-sized pot you very quickly find yourself in shove/fold territory. I think they'd be better with 7-10 minute blinds, as you'd have more of a chance to re-build your stack through standard play instead of having to shove cos you've only got 4bbs left...
    Posted by richtea
    i agree.  i play the 11/22 whenever i want something brainless to occupy the time, or i cant wait for a seat to come free in cash.
  • edited December 2009

Sitting out is just a ridiculous option! Cnt he/she sit n watch n trust himself to fold like?

What if they get dealt AA 15 times in a row? or even once!!! SHOK, still beta to fold it?

Cmon, this format shud be banned, ESPECIALLY for beginners, being succesful at this game will hamper/hinder ue enjoyment of poker, it takes away 95% of what the game of poker offers u!

Learn the rest, then come back and play these games, but please dnt start out with these then try and progress, ppl will walk all over you!

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    quit poker IMO.  if you cant crush a DYM at that level then thats the best strategy. seriously what is it with these people.  OMFG I don't wanna play fish cos they suck out OMG OMG OMG edit:  if you consistantly lose, then maybe you are the fish.  have you ever thought about that?
    Posted by scotty77
    You need to get a grip scotty, being rude to people asking for advice is the lowest of the low on here.

If you dont like whats posted ignore it.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM Advice needed asap : You need to get a grip scotty, being rude to people asking for advice is the lowest of the low on here. If you dont like whats posted ignore it.
    Posted by Torryladd
    they can ignore me.

and the guy wasn't asking for advice.  his post was basically im too good to beat bad players.  

which IMO is the stupidest of the stupid but w/e.

also i tried to help the OP in the strategy section the other day and he didn't take it on board so no point.

• edited December 2009
    dudeskin for the first 4 levels maybe 5 dont play a hand unless you have qq/kk/aa maybe ak.

that is my strategy anyway, just watch the other players get knocked out and then when the blinds get to around 75/150 or 100/200 start playing poker, DYM are really that simple, not sure what level you play at but its easy to double up from 30p to £5.50 level, the £11 are a little trickier imo and probably need something more about your game to double up

hope this helps
  • edited December 2009
    I've been playing the lower level ones for quite a while now, and am finding it impossible to progress due to so many bad calls getting rewarded, dominating hands losing etc etc. So I was just wondering at what level do these players stop playing.For example when do players stop calling 5x raises with suited Aces then call on all-in on a 4-to-flush when u hav KK/QQ, early in the tourney?

So what is that then if it isnt asking for advice.   Read the thread properly goodness me
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM Advice needed asap : they can ignore me. and the guy wasn't asking for advice.  his post was basically im too good to beat bad players.   which IMO is the stupidest of the stupid but w/e. also i tried to help the OP in the strategy section the other day and he didn't take it on board so no point.
    Posted by scotty77
    LMAO, that is exactly my point. Although i'm not saying im some great player just that I think if I was playing other players with my mindset i would be a lot better off, in other words where do these players exist?
  • edited December 2009
    ok then the £110 level.  enjoy roll building.  :toppa:
  • edited December 2009
    ok then the £110 level.  enjoy roll building.  :toppa:
    Posted by scotty77
    LOL cheers, no need to be so aggressive when making ya point tho mate.
  • edited December 2009
    The original question was : So I was just wondering at what level do these players stop playing. For example when do players stop calling 5x raises with suited Aces then call on all-in on a 4-to-flush when u hav KK/QQ, early in the tourney?

The guy is basically asking is there a level at DYM where the fish will disappear and people respect the raise rather than bingo call it ;)

An answer i wouldn't mind knowing either, an it's one of two isn't it...... either you have fish at every level or they don't play too much after say £5.50 DYM level ;)
  • edited December 2009

Loooooads of regular forum users always talk about these DYM's! When and what level do u play? I wouldnt mind playing against you and discussing it as the game is in progress (after each hand obv).

Let me know, DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    Well 60p, so I know it is a breeding ground for fish.
  • edited December 2009
    The other players would luv that lol
  • edited December 2009
    Loooooads of regular forum users always talk about these DYM's! When and what level do u play? I wouldnt mind playing against you and discussing it as the game is in progress (after each hand obv). Let me know, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

was that for me dohhh? or dudeskin?
  • edited December 2009
    Loooooads of regular forum users always talk about these DYM's! When and what level do u play? I wouldnt mind playing against you and discussing it as the game is in progress (after each hand obv). Let me know, DOHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    ill be happy to play any upto 22.  we'd have to all be ready to reg at the same time tho, but it would be good for hand analysis.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM Advice needed asap : ill be happy to play any upto 22.  we'd have to all be ready to reg at the same time tho, but it would be good for hand analysis.
    Posted by scotty77

your out of my league scotty boy!!! i only ever usually play up to the £1 DYM as i am not a pro like you buddy!! ;)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: DYM Advice needed asap : your out of my league scotty boy!!! i only ever usually play up to the £1 DYM as i am not a pro like you buddy!! ;)
    Posted by margatemaf
    Same here. :)