You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tourney questions

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi all, am currently in Vegas playing live for the first time -absolutely loving it.

Anyway onto the question. This was a tourney where no more rebuys were allowed, 14 players left of 17 and 93,500 chips in play. 6 players at my table (8 on the other). I had about 9,700 chips the other player covered me by 100 chips. The blinds were at 200/400 and shortly to go to 300/600, level after that was 500/1000. 20 minute levels, so I feel that very soon many people willbe playing short stacked.

My question is in two parts;

1. Should I be playing really aggressively and quite loose at this stage to try to build a stack as the blinds are very shortly going to cause a lot of people trouble-they are sitting there with roughly 6,000 in chips, or can I afford to sit and wait for the better hands whilst watching the inevitable all-in fest that will shortly take place? The other players are all playing pretty tight. Any ideas?

2. There is a raise to 800 in early position from someone who has been fairly tight and it comes to me in the dealer position with JJ. What should I do?

Thanks for reading guys and any suggestions welcomed, especially question 1 as I am planning on playing the same tourney again later today!

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I wouldn't say necessarily go really loose.  If you have a larger stack you can start putting pressure on smaller stacks for sure but only with position and drawable cards.

You haven't reached a time where shoving is necessary or healthy when you're risking youre tournament life..

If I were playing that JJ hand id be reraising on the button to about 2k with the look to getting it in.  If he shoves back, I call and sigh if he has AA, KK or QQ... happy to see AK for a race.  But i guess thats just me.

If he flat calls... see what the flop brings and reassess.

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Tourney questions:
    Thanks Gazzaa, I actually shoved to the raise of 800, I figured if I re-raised it would be quite a lot of my stack, plus if they shoved on me I would have decide whether to call, rather than putting them to the decision. 

They called, showed AA and that was my tourney over.

Still not sure whether what I did was the right play!