You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is there anything wrong with this play?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This was a £5 DYM... I was dealt the KQ clubs on the button and raise standard 3x and was called by the the BB and the preflop limper....was I right in raising on the button with suited connectors & was it a big enough raise or should I have shoved pre?
I got shoved at on the flop and was always calling with 2 top pairs.....

paulsmoneySmall blind 15.0015.001190.00*****Big blind 30.0045.001995.00 Your hole cardsQK   ******Call 30.0075.001990.00Bridge790Fold    larry1959Raise 120.00195.001470.00paulsmoneyFold    *****Call 90.00285.001905.00*****Call 90.00375.001900.00Flop  6QK   DollyAAAll-in 1905.002280.000.00mpl270527Fold    larry1959All-in 1470.003750.000.0

Comments

• edited May 2013
    UTG has limped so think it's fine to make it 4x at this stage which you did.

Never folding the flop.

As a side note:
    Loads of people are of the opinion that in level 2 of a DYM you can just put this hand in the bin pre, and they're probably right, I dunno.
  • edited May 2013
    I play quite a few DYM's and would have played it the same.
    Probably got 2 diamonds with that shove on the flop.
    Did you win the hand?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Is there anything wrong with this play?:
    UTG has limped so think it's fine to make it 4x at this stage which you did. Never folding the flop. As a side note: Loads of people are of the opinion that in level 2 of a DYM you can just put this hand in the bin pre, and they're probably right, I dunno.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Why would this be right? Are we not looking to exploit our edge when it's at its largest - in the early stages? We have a strong hand, in position against a limper. I can't see any reason to fold here.

Larry, you shouldn't be considering shoving pre-flop. You'd be putting so much money in that you could never be called by worse hands and the pot is far too small to be worth risking your stack to win. You'd be very unlikely to want to simply shove if you had AA, so why play KQ that way? Our stack is far too big to shove pre-flop.

Don't think of KQ as being suited connectors. Suited connectors would generally be JT and lower. Think of KQ as two high cards. It's an important distinction because, with a hand like KQ, when we hit just one pair there's a much better chance of it being good than if we hit one pair with 78.

Think of two high suited cards and suited connectors as different types of hands because they fare very differently when making a pair.

You've played this hand just fine. The 4x over the limper is perfect, since we don't mind if they call. If they call this raise and miss the flop, we win more with our c-bet than if they'd just folded pre-flop.
  • edited May 2013
    I play quite a few DYM's and would have played it the same. Probably got 2 diamonds with that shove on the flop. Did you win the hand?
    Posted by VespaPX

Villian turned over AK.....and hit his/her A on the turn...so it was adios amigo
  • edited May 2013
    not too much wrong there but i'd be slighlty concerned about them turning over trips. Giving the shove on the flop you'd imagine this isnt what they have as it would be a little too defensive against the flush draw with trips. 

The limp, call and shove on the flop is quite a strange play. If they had a big hand pre like AA, KK, QQ or AK you'd imagine they limped to induce a raise preflop with the idea then to shove/reraise your reraise (but he/she only flat called your reraise. if it was just a big slow play with AA they can't really complain because it's the chance you take by slow playing one of these big hands.

Because it's early stages of a dym I cant see them doing this with a flush draw (wouldnt rule it out though) and you'd call even if they did have the draw anyway.

What did he/she have?

edit: just seen your post. Playing AK like this preflop and on the flop in a DYM is just poor play (in my opinion).
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Is there anything wrong with this play? : Villian turned over AK.....and hit his/her A on the turn...so it was adios amigo
    Posted by larry1959

Thats just unlucky mate.
    Keep doing the same things.

I have noticed lately a lot of people trying to trap with big hands , seems to be the in-thing to do.
    Its quite funny when they get their Aces bust tho ! :-)
    GL
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Is there anything wrong with this play? : Thats just unlucky mate. Keep doing the same things. I have noticed lately a lot of people trying to trap with big hands , seems to be the in-thing to do. Its quite funny when they get their Aces bust tho ! :-) GL
    Posted by VespaPX
    Yeah seen a lot of people limping with KK and AA when the blinds get big and down to 4 players etc. I love watching KK get bust by A3 in that situation!
  • edited May 2013
    think you know you done nothing wrong your play is fine you just got ul.

also yeah a mind playing dym`s over a year ago for a wee while and a very experienced dym player gave me advice sayin fold pretty much everthing up to 25/50 level apart from aa/kk/qq/jj/10s and ak/aq and with small pairs/suited connectors just limp in late position when it`s cheap with these hands.

but when at 25/50 just open up your hand selection and play very aggro but tbh I sucked at dyms think I broke even over 800 games so don`t listen to me lol.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm definitely not advocating it myself Borin, just pointing out what some DYM multi-tabling regs might say.

I know lots of players (and JohnConnor even put it in his DYM guide) that say in the first 2 levels you should only be opening JJ+ and AK because in the early stages it just doesn't warrant taking any risk for probably little reward in a game where we just need to out last 3 other players because people will generally be tight so we'll only build a pot if we're coolering someone or beat.

DYMs are horrible aint they :)

Personally I would literally do exactly the same thing Larry did.
  • edited May 2013
    If you're content to play a DYM to a strict set of "rules", passing up obvious value opportunities because you don't have a premium hand, then fine. You might make a small profit in the long run from weak players.

If you want to make more money, then use your head and adapt. Don't pass up those obvious value opportunities.

You can use a guide when you're a total beginner to get a basic grasp of some of the concepts. Far too many "experienced" players never move on from those.

By the way, the player with the AK who shoved on the flop was the Big Blind not the limper.
  • edited May 2013
    think you know you done nothing wrong your play is fine you just got ul. also yeah a mind playing dym`s over a year ago for a wee while and a very experienced dym player gave me advice sayin fold pretty much everthing up to 25/50 level apart from aa/kk/qq/jj/10s and ak/aq and with small pairs/suited connectors just limp in late position when it`s cheap with these hands. but when at 25/50 just open up your hand selection and play very aggro but tbh I sucked at dyms think I broke even over 800 games so don`t listen to me lol.
    Posted by liamboi11
    I think this is particularly poor advice.

I appreciate it's not your own opinion, liamboi. I don't think you should be accepting this sort of counsel without forcing this person to justify their suggestion in every way. I don't think you'd be convinced.
  • edited May 2013
    I'm definitely not advocating it myself Borin, just pointing out what some DYM multi-tabling regs might say. I know lots of players (and JohnConnor even put it in his DYM guide) that say in the first 2 levels you should only be opening JJ+ and AK because in the early stages it just doesn't warrant taking any risk for probably little reward in a game where we just need to out last 3 other players because people will generally be tight so we'll only build a pot if we're coolering someone or beat. DYMs are horrible aint they :) Personally I would literally do exactly the same thing Larry did.
    Posted by Lambert180
    They are all wrong imo. 
    We can exploit weaknesses in other players at the table far more effectively when we are playing 60+ BB deep as opposed to the later levels where we can only shove or fold pre. I've seen that some good DYM regs actually advocate folding hands like this and low pairs etc. in the early stages and it makes no sense at all. You wouldn't open fold 22 in a cash game where we are playing with 60-100bb so why do it with the same amount of chips in a DYM? 
    The hand in question is a perfect example of getting into situations when the blinds are small where we can express our edge and crush players making awful mistakes. Why anyone would consider folding in this spot is beyond me and wrong imo.  
  • edited May 2013
    i wouldnt raise here preflop its a dym u want to play the first 4 levels really tight abc calling is fine tho see a cheap flop 
  • edited May 2013
    i wouldnt raise here preflop its a dym u want to play the first 4 levels really tight abc calling is fine tho see a cheap flop 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Having said what I've said to liamboi, I think I need to ask now: 

Can you explain why limping this hand on the button is a better value line than raising?

Does it not stand to reason that giving ourselves an opportunity to win the pot pre-flop or win a bigger pot post-flop with a c-bet is better than not having those opportunities?
  • edited May 2013
    going broke in early stages in a dym is criminal 

k q is a gd hand to see a flop i dnt think raising is good a mtt i be raising here not in a dym as every chip counts and need all the chips u can get for the later stages i play super tight till shove or fold mode i aint no dym expert but play a fair bit  

raising ya just bloating a pot and u dnt wanna go multiway keeping ya chips are essential in dyms but k q is just to good of a hand to fold imo 
  • edited May 2013
    going broke in early stages in a dym is criminal  k q is a gd hand to see a flop i dnt think raising is good a mtt i be raising here not in a dym as every chip counts and need all the chips u can get for the later stages i play super tight till shove or fold mode i aint no dym expert but play a fair bit   raising ya just bloating a pot and u dnt wanna go multiway keeping ya chips are essential in dyms but k q is just to good of a hand to fold imo 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Really bad reasoning imo
  • edited May 2013
    Fold KQ this early in a DYM.
  • edited May 2013
    probably but my style of play i just play tight till its shove or fold mode blinds 150/300  at this point they knock each other out usually 4 left so bubble time and i have a edge here picking spots to steal chips best way to play dyms imo play tight early let the crazy players knock each other out i cashed 14/16 the other day 

ive cahsed a couple of times without playing a single hand not a bad tactic just dnt think theres any need to play pots early doors u can lose ya stack n go out if u double up no guarentee ya gonna cash 
  • edited May 2013
    hi sir
    I can see why you played it but level 2 in dym...its just not worth getting involved imo and a lot who do tend to set mine with ppr's. I can see why once in you call but the problem is getting involved in the first place. I notice you only had about 1500 in chips. Why not leave level 1 and 2 for premium hands as the later levels require flold equity which small stack don't have. gl
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Is there anything wrong with this play? : I think this is particularly poor advice. I appreciate it's not your own opinion, liamboi. I don't think you should be accepting this sort of counsel without forcing this person to justify their suggestion in every way. I don't think you'd be convinced.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    it was over a year ago was given this advice and this person was crushing dyms at time but yeah defo not advice I would give anyone just stating what advice I was given.
  • edited May 2013
    I can't understand some of this.

I don't think anyone would dispute that raising KQ on the button versus a limper, then c-betting most flops, is likely to be a profitable proposition. Limp-callers generally play fit or fold post-flop and being in position allows us to take advantage of that.

So why would we not want those chips? Are we really going to say to ourselves "I can see this clear opportunity to add to my stack but I'm not going to do it"?

Do we have a better chance of cashing when we have 2000 chips at the end of the first level or when we have 2100?

Taking advantage of obvious opportunities to build your stack is not wasting chips. It's utilising all the skills you've gained from years of playing the game at a time when those skills give you the greatest advantage. Why would you want to forego that advantage?
  • edited May 2013
    I think you've raised a point there inadvertently that people will argue proves their point. To be honest, I think whether we have 2100 or 2000 at the end of level 1 will have close to zero impact on whether we cash or not, so the arguement is that we risk losing chips which are so valueable in a satellite style game, when the reward for winning them extra few chips is minimal.

Just playing devil's advocate because I do what Larry does, but I imagine that will be the arguement to your point.

I guess, as always it's all opponent dependent, and we can do this against weak opponents which imo anyone that open limps here is, but against someone better who is playing a very tight range for first few levels, there probably is very little point getting involved with marginal hands like KQ when we're never likely to be in good shape.
  • edited May 2013
    I can assure you that point was not inadvertant but deliberately placed to draw that argument from someone.

That is the one answer which displays the flaw in the thinking of this "DYM strategy". It's a short term attitude in a game which must be played in the long term. In any one DYM having that extra 100 chips is going to be a negligible advantage... but DYM's famously come with low ROI of between 5% and 10% or so, if you're really good. So across thousands of games, even if those 100 chips mean an increase of just 0.5% on your ROI, you're gaining a big proportional increase to your profits.

If I offered you a starting stack of 2100 and your five opponents started with 1980, you'd think that was an advantage. It clearly is an advantage. Obviously the extra 100 chips is just an arbitrary number but the point stands that by playing to a restrictive set of rules for playing DYM's, you're passing up opportunities to increase your profit. Passing up +EV spots.

Playing these hands is only a risk if you think you're going to make a loss from the play in the long-term, i.e. that raising the button with KQs after a limp, then c-betting lots of flops is a -EV prospect. You and I, Lambert, know that it's not -EV to do that*. "Taking a risk" is not an issue. It's just plain and simple good play.

The only argument to fold these spots, just to try to fold to the bubble, is that we don't think we can outplay our opponents in the long-term: So if we think, even on the button, even against an open-limp, we're going to be outplayed in the long run. If we've been playing the game for more than a few months, that surely won't be the case.

Adapting to the situation and taking advantage of opportunities is always better than adhering religiously to strict rules.

*Unless we have particular reads that one of the blinds shoves every hand and forces us to make ICM folds, or something like that. In a vacuum, I think you must agree with my point.
  • edited May 2013
    lol DYMS

Larry, don't waste time analysing situations where its pretty obvious you played pretty optimal poker. I really think you have been results orientated here and only posted it because you ended up losing.
  • edited May 2013
    raise pre, fold to a back raise

if your not raising pre than your not playing poker

lolz @ fold pre

flop is an obvious call