You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What do I do on turn?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
opponent is solid reg, his 3 betting range pre is narrow. having played my top pair/nfd aggressively on flop, what do I do on turn? Check or jam? Should I raise all in on flop to avoid this decision?
robbie1992 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £20.67
xBig blind  £0.20 £0.30 £19.80
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Webb92 Fold     
mattless Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £28.62
robbie1992 Fold     
Raise  £2.00 £2.90 £17.80
mattless Call  £1.60 £4.50 £27.02
Flop

• Q

xBet  £2.60 £7.10 £15.20
mattless Raise  £7.45 £14.55 £19.57
xCall  £4.85 £19.40 £10.35
Turn

xCheck     
mattless Bet  £14.55 £33.95 £5.02
xAll-in  £10.35 £44.30 £0.00
mattless Unmatched bet  £4.20 £40.10 £9.22
xShow
  • K
  • K

mattless Show
  • Q
  • A

River

Win Two Pairs, Kings and 7s £38.30  £38.30

Comments

• edited May 2013
    If I raise the flop, then I'm shoving pretty much any turn as you did.

Might raise slightly smaller on the flop but meh I'm not folding at any point.
  • edited May 2013

What do we mean by "his 3-betting range pre is narrow"? I'm not suggesting it should necessarily be a fold pre-flop but I am saying we need to keep that range in mind post-flop.

When we raise the flop, what do we want to happen? If his range for 3-betting pre-flop is really narrow - AA, KK, QQ and AK - what's the value in raising here? We're not getting him to fold the hands that are beating us and we don't want him to fold the AK's that we're beating. We do have the nut flush draw but we also have top-pair so we don't need to be semi-bluffing. If we get more money in on this flop against a nitty player, we're probably only doing so against a better hand. There's no reason to charge any draws since we have the As.

Obviously if he had a wide 3-betting range, which you've indicated he does not, then we don't want to push him off the weaker hands he's betting.

I think, given your reads on this opponent's 3-betting range, you've given yourself a problem by raising the flop. On the turn you should only shove if you think he can call you with worse hands, otherwise take a free card and hope to see a cheap showdown if you don't improve. 

Think about his pre-flop 3-betting range and the flop play. The turn isn't the issue here, really.

• edited May 2013
    Really I think you need to be more specific on his 3 bet range vs you, what you both think of each other, how capable is he/ can he adjust, his 3 bet range when in the blinds/ in the blinds vs a button open/ in the blinds vs YOUR button open. This makes your decision pre alot easier. 
    Post flop what Borin said really. 

It's easy to think 'Ive got AQ on the button he could 3 bet wide from the blinds, call!' when we could be making a mistake every time we do it. 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What do I do on turn?:
    What do we mean by "his 3-betting range pre is narrow"? I'm not suggesting it should necessarily be a fold pre-flop but I am saying we need to keep that range in mind post-flop. When we raise the flop, what do we want to happen? If his range for 3-betting pre-flop is really narrow - AA, KK, QQ and AK - what's the value in raising here? We're not getting him to fold the hands that are beating us and we don't want him to fold the AK's that we're beating. We do have the nut flush draw but we also have top-pair so we don't need to be semi-bluffing. If we get more money in on this flop against a nitty player, we're probably only doing so against a better hand. There's no reason to charge any draws since we have the As. Obviously if he had a wide 3-betting range, which you've indicated he does not, then we don't want to push him off the weaker hands he's betting. I think, given your reads on this opponent's 3-betting range, you've given yourself a problem by raising the flop. On the turn you should only shove if you think he can call you with worse hands, otherwise take a free card and hope to see a cheap showdown if you don't improve.  Think about his pre-flop 3-betting range and the flop play. The turn isn't the issue here, really.
    Posted by BorinLoner

That makes sense. So if I flat the flop and he jams the turn - i fold?

• edited May 2013
    your post BorinLoner top stuff thank you sir gives me a lot of food for thought,
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What do I do on turn? : That makes sense. So if I flat the flop and he jams the turn - i fold?
    Posted by mattless
    Again, it comes down to what we think his range is. If we're thinking that pre-flop he probably has AK, AA, KK or QQ then we should fold to a big bet on the turn because we won't have the odds to draw to improve. Folding top-pair top-kicker with the nut draw might seem too tight but if our opponent can only have better hands...
  • edited May 2013
    your post BorinLoner top stuff thank you sir gives me a lot of food for thought,
    Posted by tatohead
    Thanks tatohead. I wouldn't advise just taking my word on things, though. I'm not right as often as as I'd like to think. lol
  • edited May 2013
    Borin is right.... BUT there are alot of nitty regs but there are VERY few whose 3bet range consists solely of QQ+ and AK. That's a ridic tight range, and if you genuinely think that's their 3bet range then just fold pre.
  • edited May 2013
    Borin is right.... BUT there are alot of nitty regs but there are VERY few whose 3bet range consists solely of QQ+ and AK. That's a ridic tight range, and if you genuinely think that's their 3bet range then just fold pre.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Definitely this^ and I probably shouldn't fashion my answer just on the basis of this tight 3-bet range. All of that range dominates AQ so folding pre-flop would be best.

Still, if we make it to the turn and he bets big it's more likely to be a fold than a call. Even if we widen his pre-flop range to include hands like JJ, TT, AQ, AJ or lower pairs and suited connectors, his range should be narrowed by the post-flop betting to only the top of his range... unless we have reads to the contrary, that they barrell light.

Assign a range - that's basically what I'm trying to say.
  • edited May 2013
    Really I think you need to be more specific on his 3 bet range vs you, what you both think of each other, how capable is he/ can he adjust, his 3 bet range when in the blinds/ in the blinds vs a button open/ in the blinds vs YOUR button open. This makes your decision pre alot easier.  Post flop what Borin said really.  It's easy to think 'Ive got AQ on the button he could 3 bet wide from the blinds, call!' when we could be making a mistake every time we do it. 
    Posted by Curt360x27
    i think he would consider me. loose aggro/spewy, in which case he probably 3 bets wider than qq+ and ak. I know thats contrary to op but dont know enough about his game other than he is reg and seems pretty solid. My thoughts on flop were its unlikey he has qq or aa so all i'm worried about is kk, after he calls raise, I'm now thinking aa or kk, in which case hes not folding to shove so maybe check on turn is better. I think he reshoves flop if he has kk without k of spades in which case i'm happy to get it in on flop.

Anyway - thank you to borin, lambert and yourself for thoughts
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What do I do on turn? : Definitely this^ and I probably shouldn't fashion my answer just on the basis of this tight 3-bet range. All of that range dominates AQ so folding pre-flop would be best. Still, if we make it to the turn and he bets big it's more likely to be a fold than a call. Even if we widen his pre-flop range to include hands like JJ, TT, AQ, AJ or lower pairs and suited connectors, his range should be narrowed by the post-flop betting to only the top of his range... unless we have reads to the contrary, that they barrell light. Assign a range - that's basically what I'm trying to say.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    I think the fact I'm on the button, makes his range wider than qq+ ak, but yes his reaction to my raise on flop does narrow his range massively I agree. In play I thought is range was wider, when originally posting I had decided it was narrower and now thinking about it some more I think it is wider again - arrrggghhhhhh!
  • edited May 2013
    Feel calling flop is a way better option then raising given reads. What are you hoping to get it in vs that you can beat? AxKs? theres only 3 combos of that.

As played, I think you're turning your hand in a bluff given description of villain, and its hard for him to have anything hes gonna fold so its most likely bad.
  • edited May 2013
    prefer flatting flop..

what is better for your perceived range...

Thinking too much about what oppo has, yeah you should have an idea on 3 bet range for you to call but once you decide to flat...think about your perceived range and what is the best thing to do on the flop/turn/river

we win money when:

1. oppo folds
    2. when we have the best hand at showdown

yeah oppo has KK, what else do they have - put the range together and decide what you should do against this range bearing in mind your perceived range

....if you flat flop..do they put in more money on the turn with a worse hand and how often
    ....who has the improvers ?

Why do you raise flop ? Will oppo come along with a worse range ?
    If the answer is no, then what should you do ?

Problem is flop, more so than the turn - turn is just sigh but probably the worst thing to do versus oppo range

gl