You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hit & Runners -- Settling the Score

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Class post mate as always

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Another day, another chance for regs across the country to whine about Hit&Runners. So, once and for all, I thought I'd try and level the playing field a little. So, without further ado, let's get into it.

-- Breaking it down --
    1) Usually, the regs anger boils down to these three reasons.

a) They've been losing thus far
    b) Have just got whacked in a big pot
    c) Have just been Hit+Run in a game that lasted a couple of minutes

So, with a bit of a sore bottom, they start tilt-spewing jibberish because they want a chance to get their money back. "U SUK U DONK" "SO SCUMMY DISGUSTIN". Heck, I've even had well-respected and loved pros take to the twittersphere, photoshop me into... interesting pictures... :P, or attempt to smear my name! (h8rs gunna h8, wat wat)

2) They feel that their opponent is weak, and they want as much of a chance of getting their money as they possibly can. Playing on someone elses terms seems unfair to them, and having no control over when the game ends can frustrate someone immensely, especially when they think they have an edge over a good 'spot'. This can be even more annoying when HU, when the swings/variance/their edge is bigger.

-- Analysis --
    Most of this seems trivial, so first of all, let's clear a few things up.

Uno) It is the regs job to facility the game, and accomodate for the weaker/recreational player. Whatever they say should usually go, and seeing as you're the one making money here, you should be more than happy to play by their terms (for many obvious reasons).

Dos) By losing your cool based on the result of the match (as I rarely EVER see regs whine when the recreational player leaves after losing), you show the world how results orientated you are, and thus, how you're probably acting on emotion, and not logic. You're telling everyone that (by not balancing your whining-range (hehe)), that when YOU lose, it's unacceptable. When THEY lose, it's absolutely dandy. I'm sorry, but... who's the 'professional' here?

Tres) Let's say the opponent stacks you, in a big cooler, and you lose every penny you have on the table. You have one of two options. Either A) Reload, or B) Leave the game. The default (i.e. neither) is to just sit there, and do nothing with your £0 stack. By reloading, you essentially ask your opponent for a rematch, another round, an chance to continue the game. They have every right to leave after they've stacked you, because for all intents and purposes, the match is over. If YOU want to reload, that's your own choice, and seeing as there most likely wasn't a pre-arranged number of set hands or hours, it should be deemed more than acceptable.

But most of all, there's one thing I never hear said about Hit+Runners, and it's why I have no problem whatsoever with them playing me.
    Let me get this straight, for everyone here.
    I
    LOVE
    HIT+RUNNERS.

Here's why.

-- Crunch Time --
    Up for the session, Quits. Down for the session, Quits. = Someone who plays short sessions, risk averse, or just hates variance. This is NOT a hit and runner. This is someone who leaves regardless of whether they're up, OR down.
    Up for the session, Stays. Down for the session, Stays. = Someone who can handle big swings. Most likely an experienced player, or just an outright degenerate (Y)
    Up for the session, Stays. Down for the session, Quits. = A recreational player getting used to losing money that might matter to them, someone who always wants to play their A-game w/o the psychological part affecting them so much or possibly someone who just sees this as a way of handling tilt. (ME)
    Up for the session, Quits. Down for the session, Stays. = Hit + Runner.

If it isn't extremely obvious after that little synopsis, as to why I ADORE HnR's, then here goes.

All you need to do, is get them stuck just a litttttttttle bit, and it will snowball into massive wins for you. When they're winning, when they have momentum, when they're running good, confident, potentially playing the better poker, they leave. They don't capitalise on the times they're ahead. But when they start losing? Well, the winning player stays playing well, running well, and the guy who's down, running bad, stays too. Recipe for disaster.

So, an open letter to pretty much every HU bumhunter, and all regs out there apart from the solid 100NL grinder crew, get a damn grip. If you don't want to play HnR's day in, day out, that's your call.

I know I sure as hell will be.

Much love y'all,
    Smitaaaaaaalos xx
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Hit & Runners -- Settling the Score:
    Nobody cares you silly fat b3stard
    Posted by Lewisp
    [x] Silly
    [x] Fat
    [/] Bar-Steward (debatable)
    [ ] Nobody Cares (Your post was a paradox/oxymoronic, wp)

2.5 outta 4, was a good effort, I'll give you that.

ARAZI: Thank you man! Too much ramble but I'm glad ya enjoyed it, ty sir :D
  • edited May 2013
    Feel for you sir nothing better to do with your time than sit an write a pathetic post that is basically pointless
  • edited May 2013
    You are such a great character, you always make me smile when i read one of your posts.
    Keep up the good work mate :)
  • edited May 2013
    Nice post, any chance of more videos in the future or are they already out there, am i looking in the wrong places or are you just not doing any atm? enjoyed all your others especially the HU 1000nl one, so much better watching vids of sessions with a bit of humour injected rather than a monotone american voice.
  • edited May 2013
    This is my problem Smitalos...

If Im sitting at an empty 6-max table its because im trying to get a game started. If im not playing a lot of tables and a game breaks and its me and another reg then most of the time i will carry on playing for 20-30 mins to try and get the table full again. Even though i basically never sit at HU tables i will play HU on 6-max giving away whatever edge in hopes the table will fill.

So when you sit with me and stack me and insta sit out it just feels like a really cheap ploy. If im at a HU table then fine, i concede that my opponent could leave at any moment but at 6max you know im sitting there not bumhunting but trying to get a game going. When you sit down i feel like its with the understanding that its to start a game and not to try and win a buyin off me and leave.

I cant recall any other regs ever doing that. What makes it even worse though is that you go about proclaiming to crush and be able to make 100k in 6 months or whatever so it left me thinking "wait, what? You're gonna do this 1 buyin at a time then leave as soon as you hit 200bb?" It didnt really fit with the persona you're projecting.

Theres many things which arent rules but could be considered good etiquette. Most pros feel like hit and running is one of them. Where do you specifically draw the line? Would you steal someone blind at 10/20 and be fine with keep doing that? At the endo f the day you can do as you please but other people might play by different rules than you.

• edited May 2013
    This is my problem Smitalos... If Im sitting at an empty 6-max table its because im trying to get a game started. If im not playing a lot of tables and a game breaks and its me and another reg then most of the time i will carry on playing for 20-30 mins to try and get the table full again. Even though i basically never sit at HU tables i will play HU on 6-max giving away whatever edge in hopes the table will fill.
    I usually try and do the same. (When I sit down at a 6max table waiting for action, I can't recall myself ever refusing it, from whoever decides to play.) Sometimes though, if the number of tables available drops below around... 6ish, or if I've just been whacked in several big pots and can feel myself tilting :S And occasionally I have to go do some personal business or w/e (like collect dindins), then I'll usually just close all my tables, regardless of who I'm playing or how good the action is. If I have to run a few errands I'll try to tell the person I'll be back, wish them luck, blah blah blah.
    Naturally this is sometimes going to coincide with me being up in a HU (6max table) match. For those times, ofc I apologise for having to dash, but ya know, cookie crumbles, and I'm sorry. However, I feel like a LOT of regs forget when someone insta-leaves when they stack their opponent, (as they see this as totally acceptable, while leaving when up, is not) and they only recall the times that someone's quit when up Vs them.
    So when you sit with me and stack me and insta sit out it just feels like a really cheap ploy. If im at a HU table then fine, i concede that my opponent could leave at any moment but at 6max you know im sitting there not bumhunting but trying to get a game going. When you sit down i feel like its with the understanding that its to start a game and not to try and win a buyin off me and leave. I cant recall any other regs ever doing that.
    Herein lies the problem imo. A reg doing something out of the norm, something you don't expect and not used to. There was at least once in the last week or so when we played a little HU, trying to get a game started, and I spewed like, K2 < 88 on K82 like a moron. As soon as you stacked me, I just insta-quit my entire session. But this never gets brought up as a counter to the times when it's the other way round (and nowadays, i'll try and stay (will expand on this in a sec).
    What makes it even worse though is that you go about proclaiming to crush and be able to make 100k in 6 months or whatever so it left me thinking "wait, what? You're gonna do this 1 buyin at a time then leave as soon as you hit 200bb?" It didnt really fit with the persona you're projecting.
    [I'm about to say something that will come off extremely arrogant, pretentious, and rude. Gunna pleeeeeeeease ask you guys to challenge your own initial reaction, instead of an emotionally charged "Who's got the bigger d1ck contest" (which it most certainly ISN'T meant to be.)]
    imo, I'm currently one of the best players (that i've played with) on the site. My win-rate is huge, I never refuse any action, (but most importantly) I play in ways that I see no-one else even trying to immitate -- "THAT'S BECAUSE YOU SUCK, SHITALOS! LOLOLOL!!" -- Well, that MAY be true :P But from the what I've seen, how i'm playing, all that jazz, I feel the opposite. I personally feel like the 100k prop was lost on mitigating factors, and when I tried to arrange the same bet, with the same guys, they all refused (apart from one who said "maybe, we'll see").
    The reason for me saying all of this is because, before I'd consider myself a fully-fledged professional (i.e. Prior Feb2013), I DID used to hit and run when I hit 200bb HU or SH vs regs at a 6max table. My hands are up, it's something I know that probably breaches general ettiquette guidelines, and it's not cool. In my defense, whenever I used to get really tilted, I'd sit and play someone HU for like.... up to 10% of roll or something rediculous. This isn't a brag, this is me demonstrating how much of a massive tilt-monkey I was (and to some degree, still am), and WHY, on those occasions I have been known in the past to hit and run. I've never had any sort of BRM, and when you lose a pot that's like, 20% of your current net worth (back then my entire roll was everything I had to my name)..... it can hurt. A lot. :P
    (Again, this isn't bit an excuse, or a get-out-of-jail moment here. I know regardless of the reason it's still a bit iffy to HnR someone. I'm just letting you know why I did it then, and will never be seen doing it now.)
    It's all because I've had absolutely huge portions of my roll on the table, and legitimately cannot afford to get stacked.
    Theres many things which arent rules but could be considered good etiquette. Most pros feel like hit and running is one of them. Where do you specifically draw the line? Would you steal someone blind at 10/20 and be fine with keep doing that? At the endo f the day you can do as you please but other people might play by different rules than you.
    I honestly have little to no problem with people hit and running Vs me. Getting steamed up when someone does HnR, is a purely emotional reaction, and there lies the problem. I have people come and hit'n'run every single day and it doesn't bother me, because I know when they lose just a little bit, I'm getting their entire stack (or roll, trololol :P). If they leave after a short period, regardless? Then they're not a HnRer, and they can do whatever the hell they please. It's OUR job as regs, (good ettiquette, you might say), that we cater for the needs of the rec. players and adhere to their style. If you guys want to pass up on the opportunity to play someone who'll leave after they whack you in huge pot, be my guest. I don't have that emotional attachment, and can seperate myself from my ego enough to know that they're damn well within their right to do whatever the hell they like (within reason), as they're the ones coming for a good time.
  • edited May 2013
    d when I tried to arrange the same bet, with the same guys, they all refused (apart from one who said "maybe, we'll see").
    Posted by Smitalos
    pretty sure the issue with the bet is nothing to do with you being super duper awesomeeeeeeeee and rather locking up a large amount of money for 6months is really not something people want to do, especially when you give 0 updates
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Hit & Runners -- Settling the Score : pretty sure the issue with the bet is nothing to do with you being super duper awesomeeeeeeeee and rather locking up a large amount of money for 6months is really not something people want to do, especially when you give 0 updates
    Posted by LOL_RAISE
    This shouldn't turn into a... "Does Carl suck at poker, YAY/NAY" thread, but b/c I can do it super quick...

1) a) So people have a problem with locking up money 9 months ago but not now? :/
        b) Pretty sure I've stated I don't care about locking money up anyway. I'll always will and always have paid up, and have a good track record of paying up on bets. Just sayin'.
        c) I didn't put a limit on how much we can prop for, so saying "I dont want to lock up a lot of money" is pretty invalid. EV is EV and you think i'mma dog to do it, let's just bet.

2) I gave limited updates about it not going well constantly. I said you guys were a lock about 2-3 months in, because of my situation, and that you've probably already won it. Nothing changed, you got semi-regular updates, along with you getting paid a decent chunk early. :?

3) It's not just you that had action or has the potential to get action Vs me ya know. This is an open invitation to everyone. Considering I've had little action from people from it, and none of you three wanting a Round 2, what else am I supposed to do/say? Heck, pool a bunch of you together to make the bet substantial. I just want action, and have/will do anything facilitate that.

(If you wanna talk more about the prop, Matt, MSG me on here, FB, or Tweeeeeeeeeeeeetta, if that's cool. ty!)