You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Low cost PLO8 fun this evening?

13»

Comments

• edited May 2013

8:40
    2 tables enabled 

muffman35211817.77  
    julie19648262.55  
    ArfurDaley7664.93  
    Janana7664.18  
    enabler1455967.50  
    Amarie5392.50  
    necmitch4596.25  
    TREMAYNE4420  
    0utlawz3864.30  
    daffo3597.52  
    flamefree2630  
    alexis742122.50  
    lind28013 
    FCHD014
  • edited May 2013
    6th/10th/14th, cash bubbling the first one so close but no cigar tonight.

Still, an evening's entertainment for £3.30, thanks Tikay for setting it up to Hawk for following it in such a detailed manner on this thread.

Best fun was winning the high part of a hand (against Tikay!) with a measly pair of fours!
  • edited May 2013

8:10 RESULT

Tikay has gone quackers The duck takes it down

daffy24460001£11.50
    jams8802£6.90
    paul31260303£4.60
    DiggerMan04 
    wetpaper05 
    mart5906
  • edited May 2013
    7:40

The three amigos

jams8834310.57  
    Ice_Tiger16097.35  
    VespaPX9592.08  
    daffo04£3.30
    paul31260305£2.70
    FCHD06

• edited May 2013

7:40

Heads up

jams8835910.57  
    Ice_Tiger24089.43  
    VespaPX03£4.50
    daffo04£3.30
    paul31260305£2.70
    FCHD06

• edited May 2013

Must of been a good year

julie196411740.26  
    enabler1458426.25  
    necmitch8107.87  
    muffman3527867.77  
    TREMAYNE7020  
    Amarie5492.50  
    flamefree5330  
    ArfurDaley5014.92  
    alexis744845  
    Janana4155.43  
    0utlawz011 
    daffo012
  • edited May 2013
    7:40 RESULT

Made marmalade of the field 

jams88600001£12
    Ice_Tiger02£7.50
    VespaPX03£4.50
    daffo04£3.30
    paul31260305£2.70
    FCHD06
  • edited May 2013

I wonder if Terry is helping him

enabler14514931.52  
    ArfurDaley12774.84  
    TREMAYNE11520  
    Amarie8585  
    Janana7755.43  
    necmitch6307.87  
    julie19646125.34  
    flamefree08 
    muffman35209 
    alexis74010
  • edited May 2013

Final table madness begins

ArfurDaley23850.68  
    enabler14516431.51  
    Janana10655.44  
    TREMAYNE9220  
    Amarie4185  
    necmitch3657.37  
    julie196407
  • edited May 2013

5 Left all cash from here

Janana22510.86  
    enabler14516031.51  
    ArfurDaley13595.25  
    TREMAYNE8520  
    Amarie7342.38  
    necmitch06
  • edited May 2013

Then there were 4

Janana23010.86  
    ArfurDaley18687.63  
    enabler14514781.51  
    TREMAYNE11520  
    Amarie05£3.06
  • edited May 2013

Another has been disabled 

Janana23572.37  
    TREMAYNE22840  
    ArfurDaley21587.63  
    enabler14504£3.74
    Amarie05£3.06
    necmitch06

• edited May 2013

Any chance of a chip count for Tikay1 please Mr updater?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Low cost PLO8 fun this evening?:
    Any chance of a chip count for Tikay1 please Mr updater?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Your wish is my command

tikay1021
    tikay1011
    tikay1016

I think that makes not a lot ;)
  • edited May 2013

Heads Up

Janana40172.38  
    TREMAYNE27827.62  
    ArfurDaley03£5.10
    enabler14504£3.74
    Amarie05£3.06
    necmitch06

• edited May 2013

8:40 RESULT

Janana680001£13.60
    TREMAYNE02£8.50
    ArfurDaley03£5.10
    enabler14504£3.74
    Amarie05£3.06
    necmitch06

Well done to all that took part and all that cashed.
    Hope you all had fun and did learn a bit.
  • edited May 2013
    8:40 RESULT Janana 68000 1 £13.60 TREMAYNE 0 2 £8.50 ArfurDaley 0 3 £5.10 enabler145 0 4 £3.74 Amarie 0 5 £3.06 necmitch 0 6 Well done to all that took part and all that cashed. Hope you all had fun and did learn a bit.
    Posted by hawk7112
    Yes it was fun i learnt that janana is better than me.Well played
  • edited May 2013

Great evening, well done everybody.

In the three Tourneys which were added for last night, we got, respectively, 30, 23, & 34 runners, so that was pretty good. 

Everyone seemed to enjoy it, & we'll do it again.

Big thanks to Squawky for the Updates all evening, he gets Free Entries to the same Tourneys next time we do them by way of thanks.

My efforts? Had better nights! Did nowt wrong in the first 2, in fact in the first, I never played a single hand in the first 4 levels, I was just not getting playable stuff, whilst two players on my Table played every single hand! Think part of the attraction of PLO8 to many is that we DO get a lot of action if we choose to play that way.

I got a good stack going in the third, then rather unwisely got myself involved in a very big 4 way coup, flopped the nuts, but failed to hold. With hindsight, not sure I should have got involved. 

Great evening, & thank you to everyone who took part, & played the game in the right spirit.  

• edited May 2013

No less than FIVE players approached me via the Chat Box to ask how we can get more PLO8 going on Sky Poker. Not the easiest medium to have such a debate, whilst 3 & 4 Tabling. (I was playing DYM's, too).

There is only so much the Business can do. If you want more PLO8, then play it more often. Liquidity builds itself if people play it.

I have made some proposals to the Business yesterday to improve the PLO & PLO8 MTT Schedules in the evenings, & these have now been partly implemented, as of today. I would like to tweak them further though, & have sent some more suggestions upstairs. I'll let you know how we get on.

In the interim, & with immediate effect, the nightly PLO8 MTT schedules have been changed, & now include 3 x £5.50 MTT's & one x £3.30. 

The PLO8 daytime schedule currently comprises a mix of £1.10 & £3.30 Tourneys.

The PLO schedule has been changed, too. 

Now is the time for PLO & PLO8 players to do there bit, & maybe we can rev up some nice regular action.     

• edited May 2013
    I was away all day yesterday, glad this went ok tho by the sound of things.

It seems i have lost my job here too lol, well done HAWK7112 on boosting numbers and your everlasting updates.

Hope to be back next week (when arranged).

Gl all at the tables, and as Tikay says lets get more playing OMAHA.
  • edited May 2013
    Really enjoyed last night.
    Only played in 2 of the MTT's , donked out early in one and came 3rd in another.
    Definetly will play more when i can.

Question for the more experienced PLO8 players:
    What do you think of the standard of play given that their are some newbies like me?

I did notice that some players were raising , like in holdem , when entering a pot and some chose to limp.

See you at the tables soon.
    Cheers
    Mick
  • edited May 2013

Hi Vespa.

The standard was mixed, exactly as it is any poker format.

PLO & PLO8 are VERY different games to Texas Hold Em, but by definition, almost everyone who progresses to PLO or PLO8 learned NLH first. And that produces some VERY interesting dynamics.

Firstly, NL & PL are chalk & cheese, completely different skills.

Next, PLO/PLO8 & NLH could not be more different in so many ways.

Now, here's the thing......

When NLHE players migrate to Omaha, they often bring NLH skills with them. In NLH, hands like A-K & A-Q, or even A-A & K-K, are absolute monsters, & we are happy to get the lot in. In Omaha, not so much - one pair very rarely gets us home, especially if we are multi-way, which in O, we often are.

So here's really clever bit. NLH players, when playing Omaha, very much over-represent the value of their hands. "Ooh, I have A-A, I should pot pot pot". Or they flop top pair (enormous in NLH) but it is poo in O. And the experienced O players are sat there thinking, well this chap has gone pot pot pot, he must have a set, or the straight, or whatever. So we chuck our 2 pair or low set in the bin! We can even bin "under houses" regularly.

And THAT is the whole beauty of it, & why anyone can play & enjoy Omaha variants, & cause even the most experienced players a proper headache.

Limping? I limp a LOT in PLO & PLO8. Try Potting a decent hand in early position (remember, this is POT LIMIT) & see where that gets you. We have bad aces & 4 players behind us have called. Good luck with winning that coup. You are about a 10/1 shot now. Takes a bit of mettle to pot any flop unless you set up...... 

We might have a very good low hand, with no high hand. We ONLY want to play this three way or more - we have NO INTEREST in playing this Heads Up. Why would we, we are only gunning to get half our money back? So we need this coup multi-way, & anyway, the flop might come all paint, & our hand is now worthless. So yeah, limping in PLO8 is OK. But remember LIMPING with marginals is one thingf, CALLING A RAISE with marginals quite another thing altogether. Limp, yes, station, not so much. Actually, not at all. 

Hope you enjoyed it last night - most folks did, I gather.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the detailed reply TK.
    Its all starting to make sense now , sort of ;-)
    It certainly makes you think more about your starting hands , position and reading the board.
    Looking forward to my next game , BR & time permitting and yes i did enjoy it last night.

One thing i did notice was that there was no moaning about bad beats!!  :-)

GL at the tables
    Mick

*edit*
    Thanks to Hawk for the commentary!
  • edited May 2013

As a general rule, Mick, PLO8 players are a different breed, & hardly ever do the "bad beat" nonsense.

The tables break more slowly, so we spend more time together, & you can't rush that game, you just sit there in cruise control mode & get chatting.

There were the usual horrendous beats last night, typical of O or PLO8, & I never saw a single whine or whinge.

I was in a hand with one chap, & I'd got him heads up via potting it, I had decent aces, double suited.

The flop came 5-5-2, & we somehow got the lot in. He had, obviously, 2-2 in his hand. Oops.

I half-hoped I might bink an Ace on the turn or river, but no such luck. Instead, another 5 rivered, giving me a better house...... 

• edited May 2013

I really enjoyed playing last night, I normally play 2.20 deep stack, offordable and mega stack on a Friday.

I would like to play and learn Omaha and PLO8 could i suggest a couple of
    tournaments with 1.10 buy ins on selected evenings would attract a lot more players to try the games at minimal cost.

I personally am not going to play 3.30 or 5.50 buy in but 1.10 2.20  would allow me to learn without breaking the bank.

Also starting an Omaha competition with small prize might help.

I used to love Take on TK and if he has the time a once a week tournament in each discipline would I'm sure be well supported.

Selected Omaha nights may help as the playing group could get spread too thin if people play on different nights.

Just my thoughts what do other potential players think.

Daggers. 

• edited May 2013
    I really enjoyed playing last night, I normally play 2.20 deep stack, offordable and mega stack on a Friday. I would like to play and learn Omaha and PLO8 could i suggest a couple of tournaments with 1.10 buy ins on selected evenings would attract a lot more players to try the games at minimal cost. I personally am not going to play 3.30 or 5.50 buy in but 1.10 2.20  would allow me to learn without breaking the bank. Also starting an Omaha competition with small prize might help. I used to love Take on TK and if he has the time a once a week tournament in each discipline would I'm sure be well supported. Selected Omaha nights may help as the playing group could get spread too thin if people play on different nights. Just my thoughts what do other potential players think. Daggers. 
    Posted by daggers747

Hi Daggers, check out the thread PLO8 League.  You will be more than welcome.
  • edited May 2013

Hi Daggers,

I'm trying to rev up PLO8 & PLO interest, & I try to organise & play in one or two nights every week where we have low cost PLO8 Tourneys, to help folks learn the game without spending too much.

As luck would have it, my ship came in this morning, and.......

There are now £1.10 PLO8 MTT's EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK.

I will do a seperate thread, as the scheduled PLO8 AND PLO MTT's have all had a bit of a jolly old shake-up.

• edited May 2013
    As a general rule, Mick, PLO8 players are a different breed, & hardly ever do the "bad beat" nonsense.
    Sooooo true tikay its really weird, been known to tilt in Holdem, can take bad beats but when its a really bad player getting super lucky at the worst time it can hurt, BUT ive not come anywhere close to feeling like this in PLO8, I have a strange sense of calm at all times even when racing, the sheer confusion that is a 3 or 4 way all in board run out doesn't allow for you to rue the end result I just tend to smile and think gg onto the next. Bubbles are still a bit rough as they should be but id never criticize another players style of play in PLO8.

was another fun and popular evening, I wasn't feeling it and donked out of first two but made up for that winning last one, ran pretty well as always, but im surprised and pleased when I outlast tikay (even when I do it almost every time lol).
  • edited May 2013
    I had a great time of it ran, pretty well and somehow managed a 1s and a 2nd in the 2 i played so will definatly be playing again sometime soon. Had 1 hand where i thought i was way behind for my tournament life and the board ran out trips and i won with ace high somehow lol

Will definatly be looking to play any low stakes mtt hi lo i can find when i have a free evening
  • edited May 2013
    Great evening, well done everybody. In the three Tourneys which were added for last night, we got, respectively, 30, 23, & 34 runners, so that was pretty good.  Everyone seemed to enjoy it, & we'll do it again. Big thanks to Squawky for the Updates all evening, he gets Free Entries to the same Tourneys next time we do them by way of thanks.   My efforts? Had better nights! Did nowt wrong in the first 2, in fact in the first, I never played a single hand in the first 4 levels, I was just not getting playable stuff, whilst two players on my Table played every single hand! Think part of the attraction of PLO8 to many is that we DO get a lot of action if we choose to play that way. I got a good stack going in the third, then rather unwisely got myself involved in a very big 4 way coup, flopped the nuts, but failed to hold. With hindsight, not sure I should have got involved.  Great evening, & thank you to everyone who took part, & played the game in the right spirit.     
    Posted by Tikay10

If the updates got more people interested in PLO8 thats good enough for me,
    Ref the offer above its very kind of you but could they possible go to the other thread as a start off for the winner of the league they are trying to get of the ground.