You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thursday's live show - with James & Reds (***OFFICIAL THREAD***)

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Well, hello!

It's been a while. But, this Thursday, I return to your screens, accompanied by one of channel 861's finest Hold'em experts...

Geddit? Anyway, we'll be offering the following five hours of programming:

7pm  Live Master Cash action
8pm  The Poker Clinic
9pm  Selected hands from the £12k Sky Sports Bounty Hunter
10pm  Top of the Pots
11pm  Highlights from the late stages of the Bounty Hunter

As usual, we want you to send in your Hand IDs (from the televised tables) for The Poker Clinic. As an incentive, I'm offering a *SPOT PRIZE* for the most interesting hand nominated for analysis.

And I'll be awarding another *SPOT PRIZE* for the most interesting question posed to my co-host. So, please take advantage of "General" Lee's poker brain, cash skillz, and Vegas pedigree.

E-mail:  skyopen@bskyb.com
Twitter:  #SkyPokerTV

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Hi chaps, with the WSOP not too far away can I ask Reds when he will be going and what events he plans to play. Also what do you think of this years structure and how much do you want to win a bracelet/think you will one?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show - with James & Reds (***OFFICIAL THREAD***):
    Hi chaps, with the WSOP not too far away can I ask Reds when he will be going and what events he plans to play. Also what do you think of this years structure and how much do you want to win a bracelet/think you will one?
    Posted by Janana
    Good stuff!

More of the same, please.

Plus hands. Lots and lots of hands...
  • edited May 2013

With sky's cash promo this weekend, it got me thinking!

How do people stay focussed when they are playing at Cash for longer periods of time?

The maximum i normally play for is about 1 and a half hours at any one time, normally a lot shorter than this(3-5 tables).

Sometimes it gets to a point, where i can see the cards, but don't really focus on them that well. Lke they are out of focus lol Last night for example, I had a straight on the turn, i bet big. Call. On the river didn't seem anything had changed, opponent checked. I bet pot and was shoved on which i snapped off! Full house, i hadnt even seen the board pair!

• edited May 2013
    18/05/2013 04:18654379117Hold'emMaster Cash 1No Limit£0.05/£0.10

i would like this hand analysed please i flopped the flush but i never really thought i was ahead on the river do i need to shove or can i just call?
  • edited May 2013
    Hi James & Reds,

Firstly, here is hand for you from the £11 Rebuy (Wednesday ME). Think there are virtually no flush combos he can hold when I have JTcc. If he's got A-high FDs then he's 100% c-betting the flop, so that just leaves K-high FDs and even then the 9, T, J and Q are all out so not many (any?) Kx FD combos that he'd raise pre with.

Given this, I'm virtually 100% confident I have the best hand and river has definitely improved his hand, possibly a passive and stubborn TT rivered a set, possibly QT, possibly the straight, but he definitely now likes his hand on the river. Do you think it's better to shove the river or will this scare off his weaker hands too often?

Hand History #652128451 (22:54 10/05/2013)

Interesting question for Reds to come....
  • edited May 2013
    Hello Team...

my opponent had been 3-betting me more than 50% of the time I was open raising for over an hour so his range is wide open... I wasn't getting the premium hands to call or 4-bet with so resorted to 4-betting light, I chose my hand because it is easy to fold to a 5 bet or a somewhat playable and disguised hand on the flop should he call...

my question is, is this a good hand to 4 bet light with? I think i prefer it to any Ax suited post flop because it is highly likely he is holding an Ace when light 3 betting...

what is the best way to combat over-active light three betting?

table master cash 8

thanks!

J0hns0n"
  • edited May 2013
    I have a 2 part question based on an article I read recently that mentioned a study carried out around human psychology. It was related to human greed and how it transfers into your poker game through things like revenge tilt.

It's called 'The Ultimatum Game'... there is £10,000 up for grabs and 2 players. Player 1 gets to decide how the money should be divided between the two of them. Player 2 gets to either accept the offer or decide that both of them get nothing. That's it.

So....

1) If you're player 1 how far would you push it, would you be 'fair' and just go 50/50? Take a bit more say 60/40? Or really push it and possibly get nothing?

2) If you're player 2, how low an offer do you accept? Would you take £100 for instance and let them have £9900 given that it is still free money and it's still better than nothing?

The study showed (albeit with a smaller amount at stake) that as the amount player 2 gets drops to about 30%, most people will choose to get nothing rather than 30% just to avoid player 1 'getting one over on them'.
  • edited May 2013
    Question for redmond. 

Not a hand history but based on a decision i was faced with recently. 

Basically when we have close to the nuts and we face a polarizing bet how do we treat it. - inparticular in mtts.

In my example hand, we have 2 red aces. the board reads 5678 - all hearts, and Jd.  Our opponent raised us on Jd 86hh flop cont on 7h turn and now bets 1.5 pot on the 5h river. 

We have little more than  a min raise back, but started the hand 200BB deep. 

How would redmond proceed in this spot. 
  • edited May 2013
    Are u in the 25k roller sunday redmond i managed to bink a seat into it last nite would be good to play ya 

My question is i have been doing well on mtts lately i think the main reason is i am playing some dyms aswell so i dont get bored just playing 1 mtt so i kinda nit up as i have my  dym head on 

question is do u play on other tables when playing a mtt and is it good to play on cash tables whilst play a mtt ?
  • edited May 2013
    Hi James and Redmond

Question for Redmond:-

Who would you like to be heads up with on the final table of the WSOP Main event?

Wish I was there again playing in the main event.  Good luck in Vegas Redmond.

Sue

xx
  • edited May 2013
    Mastercash 4  is this a gd spot on river to overbet hope the opponent has a big ace or flush ?

• edited May 2013
    Hey guys good show.

I always find it hard when I 3-bet on the button. I find it hard when to know when to keep betting when I miss but they are caling me. I usually end up folding. Would be happy for any advice.

I have an example from just now if you have time during the show
    23/05/201319:34656035909Hold'emMaster Cash 2No Limit£0.05/£0.10
    Thank you
  • edited May 2013
    Great show guys and thank you for the great advice... I can see now it that it may not have been the best response to Tommy D's 3 betting and also how lucky i got with this hand.

as you have heard by Tommy D just now it was my first 4 bet  during the game  and quite an experimental move for me..

thanks for the great advice, It's been very helpful

best

J0hns0ns
  • edited May 2013
    tnx for ya feedback reds normally i would flat with the 10 10 hand but the guy was on the button  folded round to him so didnt credit him with a hand oh well 
  • edited May 2013
    Evening James and Redmond.

I have a question about short-stacking in cash games and a hand to illustrate. The hand isn't that spectacular but the question is definitely something I'd like to be discussed. So I'll post the general question separately in case the hand is too dull. 

This hand comes from Mastercash 4, which I was playing as part of Anna's PTP last night. This was the first hand I'd been dealt into and I'd mistakenly bought in for 50BB.

Hand History #655780444 (21:04 22/05/2013)

My big blind is raised by a player who's fairly loose and likes to have a crack at me. Cenachav's range is pretty wide and I decide that I can't set-mine profitably as a result, given my short stack. I went for the 3-bet, knowing I'd probably be c-betting lots of flops and may have to call off the rest of my stack, even on scarey boards, because Cenachav will make things awkward for me.

That's pretty much what happened. I decided that Cenachav would be trying to push me off two high cards alot on this flop and the only hands that make sense to beat me are pairs between 88-TT, so made the call. I know; what a hero I am! lol

What do you chaps think of this hand?
  • edited May 2013
    The more general point I'd like to ask Redmond is this:

Short stacking is frequently berated and people are told it's the "wrong" way to play cash. If we're going to be doing it, should we be playing much more aggressively pre-flop? My thoughts are that we should be 3-betting or folding virtually all of the time, hardly ever calling - Thinking much more of the dead money in the pot than we would if we were playing deep and thinking about getting our opponent's stack through the streets.

What does Redmond think of this and does he believe that competent players could ever possibly INCREASE their edge by short stacking? If we're playing against players who are looking to see flops, we can leverage our 30BB-50BB stack simply by putting in a 9BB 3-bet?

Does this make sense?
  • edited May 2013
    #655544561 Is the raise very bad on flop plus does my line make sense mastercash table
  • edited May 2013
    Cheers for the analysis guys. :)
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Guys.

Sorry if too personal and understand if you dont want to answer...

Redmond how many days a month on average do you play cash and how many of these days are 'winning'?

How did you move up the levels, simply when your BRM allowed or did you just decide to take a shot one day?  How did you find this mentally playing at a higher level?

Finally, (sorry James), as a fellow Man Utd fan were you gutted, like me when Sir Alex announced his retirement.  I know he couldn't of done anymore and do think/hope David Moyes is a good choice?

Thanks, Derek.
  • edited May 2013

Dear mr hartigan... I think your brummie accent  needs some work  lol... are you really taking the mick out of us brummies lol

regards phil.....
  • edited May 2013
    Hi thanks for showing my hand in the clinic, i did think i have to call down the river but instincts and a bit of past history made me think otherwise was very interesting to hear your views on the hand. I have recently started playing cash alot more, just wanted to ask redmond ... when you first started playing cash how did you deal with the swings?, i have had multiple buyin sessions up and down recently- i'm in profit when i average out the sessions, but its very hard to view each session as part of a whole rather than individuallly, so when i have a big losing session it affects me more than it should any advice on how best to deal with this, does it just become natural with more experience?
  • edited May 2013
    Everyone seems to be thanking you for showing their hands. I don't want to seem rude, so thanks for that guys. :)

The reason I didn't want to set-mine for those 50BB against Cenachav was that too often I think he shows up with a bag of spanners there. In my mind, I felt I just wouldn't get paid enough on the occasions I hit my set to make up for all the times I didn't.

Against a tighter player, I may well set-mine there for my 50BB. If I had 100BB, I might set-mine against Cenachav. It's just the combination of Cenachav and only 50BB effective that made me think I had to play the hand more aggressively.

I'm sure you're not interested anymore. lol

Anyway, have a great show. I'm enjoying it alot, as always.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show - with James & Reds (***OFFICIAL THREAD***):
    Everyone seems to be thanking you for showing their hands. I don't want to seem rude, so thanks for that guys. :) The reason I didn't want to set-mine for those 50BB against Cenachav was that too often I think he shows up with a bag of spanners there. In my mind, I felt I just wouldn't get paid enough on the occasions I hit my set to make up for all the times I didn't. Against a tighter player, I may well set-mine there for my 50BB. If I had 100BB, I might set-mine against Cenachav. It's just the combination of Cenachav and only 50BB effective that made me think I had to play the hand more aggressively. I'm sure you're not interested anymore. lol Anyway, have a great show. I'm enjoying it alot, as always.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    You're right. Most of the time I don't have a hand there.  The good thing about my image is that I can get paid for quads with it :)  Swings and roundabouts.  Good call by the way
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show - with James & Reds (***OFFICIAL THREAD***) : You're right. Most of the time I don't have a hand there.  The good thing about my image is that I can get paid for quads with it :)  Swings and roundabouts.  Good call by the way
    Posted by cenachav
    Well... only if you're doing it with random overcards too. If you show up with 88 there, the hand plays exactly the same and I look like a proper mug by calling you down. lol
  • edited May 2013

hi james, reds...

10:12 PM main mini both % main in mini  

entered 414 561 185 45  
    left 44 84 9    

ELVIS73 3 27      
    yoyo 15 56      
    Rosco15 18 37      
    nin777 25 15      
    krstov 35 1      
    gazza127 37 4      
    Lightwood 38 12      
    boatrace 39 9      
    bbMike 44 62      

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Thursday's live show - with James & Reds (***OFFICIAL THREAD***) : Well... only if you're doing it with random overcards too. If you show up with 88 there, the hand plays exactly the same and I look like a proper mug by calling you down. lol
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Or a pair of 5's lol
  • edited May 2013

Evening guys

Enjoying the show as always. 

I have a couple of questions for Reds. 

1)  Can you ask Reds what a Donk Lead is please?

2) ( In honour of SPT Brum, James has to ask this in a Brummie accent )

Q - What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?

A - You can't wash your hands in a Buffalo !

I'll be attending SPT Brum to rail TKP and other friends, so look forward to meeting you there if you are going. 

Keep up the good work

Regards

Pen Fifteen
  • edited May 2013
    Question to Redmond:

"When did you realise that you could compete with pro players - was it a conscious moment, or was it more of a natural progression?"

• edited May 2013

Dear mr hartigan.... as you took the mick out of my accent... which was a really bad bluff lol.... can you get redman to give the brummie accent ago lol... do I get a free seat if redman can do a really good bluff of a brummie accent...

regards phil.
  • edited May 2013
    Brummie walks into a tailors...
    "Alroit, mate. I'd like a 70s suit, please."

The tailor says, "Certainly sir, and would you like a kipper tie?"

Brummie says, "Thanks mate, two sugars."