You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Called down too light?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
taximania1 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £25.41
HachiKuro Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £22.50
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • K

albania Fold     
robbie1992 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £22.89
sighcall Raise  £1.80 £2.70 £17.90
surf22 Fold     
taximania1 Fold     
HachiKuro Fold     
robbie1992 Call  £1.20 £3.90 £21.69
Flop

• K
  • A

robbie1992 Check     
sighcall Bet  £2.93 £6.83 £14.97
robbie1992 Call  £2.93 £9.76 £18.76
Turn

robbie1992 Check     
sighcall All-in  £14.97 £24.73 £0.00
robbie1992 Call  £14.97 £39.70 £3.79
robbie1992 Show
  • Q
  • K

sighcall Show

River

sighcall Win Two Pairs, 6s and 4s £37.90  £37.90
I cant believe i was on a able with somone who gives me advice on my hads regularly and see him stack off with 2 unreal hands. one a bluff and one just somthing ridiculous.  Am i unlucky here? or isit too ligjt to call down?

on the flop i thought i was ahead , and on the turn iv still got any diamond K or Q as an out, or is this just to spewy?

I was doing so well in my session, id upped my tables too 3 and had played well in a long session, then i lost this and £10 more when i had ace high against this player, and the river come an ace and he was slowplaying top set.....

im sick of losing all the time, im not having a rant im just so frustrated with the game atm, i was well and come away losin i play bad and come away losing, so fed up

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Yes.

He's 3bet, c-bet, then overbet shoved the turn on a really wet board and you don't even have TP. Granted you have the 3rd nut flush draw but with only 1 card to come, that's not huge equity especially when all outs might not be clean.

You don't know you have any K, Q or diamond as an out, which is the problem. If you did that's 13 outs which I think warrants a call on the turn, but I don't think you will have all them outs.
  • edited May 2013
    You've been reraised pre.  If you don't fold there you should definitely be folding the flop with an Ace on it IMO.  You are only beating a bluff or a lower PP... but as it's impossible to tell. You should either raise here or fold on the flop.

You cannot call that turn card... like ever.  It's clear you have to hit and you are not getting good odds.  Youre head should be screaming "fooooollllddd" at this point.
  • edited May 2013
    okay that sounds fair advice.

But he had just bluffed off a stack and was 3 betting me everytime i raised, which wasnt even that often...would a 4 bet pre be bad? usually i wouldnt call a 3 bet with kq but against him i was prepared to stack off if i hit, the thing is i was correct until the turn, on the flop i win this hand 4/5, then even on the turn i win it 1/3.  Maybe i got too carried away, what range should i be prepared to stack off with against this opponent then??
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah, assuming we don't have any dynamics or reads on the opponent (you didn't mention any), I'm not a massive fan of flatting 3bets OOP too often.
  • edited May 2013
    do you not adjust for a Lag opponent, as if we hit our hand the implied odds are huge considering his style, but on some occasions so are the reverse implied odds i guess.  So when he 3 bets you prefer a fold or 4 bet?

Say i 4 bet and the board come like this i cbet and he shoves or raises, i then fold ? its just abit akward
  • edited May 2013
    aarghh just wrote a long reply and got timed out

basically I have no problem with your play pre and post flop if wanting to target the aggro player, although it may not be correct or easy to play.

but on the turn, run away, he has turned up the heat too far. bluff or not.
  • edited May 2013
    I give people advice all the time. You shouldn't think of that as being a sign of a good player. :)

I don't know much about sighcall's game and you've not provided any reads on how he plays against you, his 3-bet range or on the range of hands you gave him for his flop and turn play. You thought you were ahead? Great... Why? What range of hands did you think he'd play this way?

I probably wouldn't be calling 3-bets out of position with hands like this, if I were you. You need to have a clear reason why you're calling and how you're planning to exploit your opponent through the streets. KQo out of position against a 3-bet isn't a brilliant hand. We're not super-deep either so I'd just fold pre-flop. If we think our opponent is messing about with light 3-bets, then a 4-bet might be better than a call. In position I don't mind the call. Out of position it's going to get pretty tough when we don't hit big and we can't necessarily build a big pot if we just hit one pair.

Having got involved pre-flop, I suppose it's tough to fold to one bet on the flop. It's likely that we're either way ahead or way behind, though. It would be nice to know that the villain gives up alot after this sort of flop action if he doesn't have it. If not, knowing we can't stand a second barrell, we should fold here.

The turn is bad. The fact it's an overbet is a bit weird but we need to have the best hand an awful lot of the time for this call to be good because whenever we don't have the best hand, we're quite a long way behind. The 13 outs you're thinking about only give you equity about 28% (off the top of my head), if they're all clean outs, and your pot odds are about 38%... so you need your King to be good alot of the time.

How often is your opponent shoving this turn with weaker than second pair, Queen kicker? Not often, I would imagine.

Sighcall's play on the turn is weird because normally you wouldn't expect the shove to be called by many worse hands but his pre-flop and flop play are pretty good. Learn from this hand history that some of your opponents are 3-betting you light, most likely believing that you'll play fit-or-fold post-flop. This wasn't ridiculous play from sighcall at all... apart from the turn, lol.
  • edited May 2013
    Lots of posts appeared while I was writing...

So he's been 3-betting you alot and bluffing light down the streets? He's been a bit of a maniac? That makes calling pre-flop a little less bad but our position makes things pretty tough post-flop. We need to be willing to check-call down with just top-pair and it's going to be fairly high variance. There's a big difference between top pair and second pair, though, and we have to accept that this type of player will sometimes make us fold the best hand. No need to worry about that if he's just going to fire off his stack when we have a decent hand.

Our implied odds for calling pre-flop are only good if we're sure he frequently bluffs off his stack on King or Queen high boards. I don't know if that's true of this villain or not. Obviously being out of position reduces our implied odds dramatically anyway.
  • edited May 2013
    double lol for double timeout
    basically +1 to Borin that oop is much harder to make this play
    and -1 to he isn't a good player
    #sigh to forum posting from a phone
  • edited May 2013
    Haha that's for the effort geldy I no whats it's like I write on forum from my itouch alot, thanks for the effort :p

Yeah but doesn't his hand prove he was a maniac and playing crazy, I think he could do it with alot 2nd pair, flush draws, complete air.  So what u saying I should wait for a better spot? Icant keep folding pre I no oop it's a hard hand to play but it's exploitable to be too tight aswell and his 3 bet shows what he was up to. If I 4 bet it risks him shoving/ or calling and I'm stuck with 2 nd pair
  • edited May 2013
    I would just like to explain my play.

Pre - I often 3-bet low combos like this. especially suited. and in position. Mabye I chose the wrong time to do it as I had just lost a pot makeing a bluff (cant even remember the hand lol) so my image would be spewy.

Flop. I hit a piece of it, im never not betting when checked to. Hope to get any K to fold. 

Turn. I dont want to see any more bad cards. I dont have enough to bet turn then fold river. I also think i can use my spewy image to my advantage as Id just lost by making a bluff. I think that a overbet shove looks more tilty/bluffy then a half pot bet.

To Robbie - I know you dont want my advice but personally I fold pre. I may have a hand like i do but im In position and even if im tilting i am going to be hard to play OOP. You cant narrow my range. I could have literally anything. If i am tilting then i will probably play more recless hands and u can win money off me in easier situations.

FWIW if i miss turn i give up.
  • edited May 2013
    I appreciate u explaining but when your giving me advice and then doing that it doesn't make sense.

Tbh I'm not that down about the hand I wasn't a million miles away from t beig a good read, just unforunatly for me u hit a card on the turn. Just frustrating thought I played decent today but got no reward for it, never mind lol
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Called down too light?:
    I appreciate u explaining but when your giving me advice and then doing that it doesn't make sense. Tbh I'm not that down about the hand I wasn't a million miles away from t beig a good read, just unforunatly for me u hit a card on the turn. Just frustrating thought I played decent today but got no reward for it, never mind lol
    Posted by robbie1992
    Are you trying to say you think sighcall played this hand badly? I don't agree (apart from the turn, as I said).

In an earlier post, you said you couldn't keep folding hands like this to his 3-bets because it's "exploitable". What makes calling better?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Called down too light?:
    ...Turn. I dont want to see any more bad cards. I dont have enough to bet turn then fold river. I also think i can use my spewy image to my advantage as Id just lost by making a bluff. I think that a overbet shove looks more tilty/bluffy then a half pot bet... 

...FWIW if i miss turn i give up.
    Posted by sighcall
    Why can't you bet turn then fold river? If we bet the turn, are called and the river is a diamond, Ace or King and Robbie bets into us, we just have to judge our pot odds against the chance that we have the best hand. If we judge that we have 0% chance of winning the hand, then why can't we fold with just £3 or whatever in our stack?

The reason I'm not a fan of the shove on the turn is that you really shouldn't be called by many worse hands after the diamonds have come in. It's unlikely that Robbie is holding the AxKd or another big diamond with top-pair... and every other made hand you beat is likely to be folding. We do, after all, have just bottom two-pair and it's unlikely that Robbie has many big Aces after flatting the 3-bet pre-flop. Obviously you got the call this time but I'm not sure it's a profitable play in the long term.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi,

I see you have been discussing the pre flop play and options to fold, call or four bet light...

I was recently in a similar situation (albeit with a solid reg at nl50) where over 50% of my open raises pre flop were being 3 bet by said player next to me... this was happening for around an hour and i just wasnt getting the premium hands to call or 4 bet with so  i decided to play with 4 betting light

I decided to four bet light as an experiment with a marginal, but playable hand... 67s ('im happy to either fold to a 5 bet or see a flop with these) i sent the hand in for analysis and they anlaysed it live on sky poker last night,... which was great, they gave some really sound advice and actually it turns out that my hand wasn't the optimum 4 bet light hand...  I was in position and the analysts said it would have been better to flat call the three bet with this hand as the fact i was in position was a huge bonus, they did however  say that if i was out of position it may have been more beneficial to 4 bet light preflop ....

so this brings us back to your hand...

you're out of position and you have a marginal hand, especially after the 3 bet, after listening to the advice last night, you have two options here with this hand, to either fold pre flop, or 4bet light with the outlook to fold to a 5 bet, or   give up  on the flop when they call, unless you got really lucky...

I've been trying to work out what are the best 4 bet light options and its a tricky one. my thoughts after taking mental notes over the last few months of playing are opponents 3 betting light are likely to be holding the following

AA - 99
    Axs
    Ax0
    Kxs
    sometimes  suited connectors and one gappers

so where does this leave us  with 4 betting light options as far as playable hands when we see a flop?

I presumed mid  suited connectors would be good but the analysts thought this wasnt a good idea and would be better played as a call to a 3-bet when in position.

On the TV last night the analysts implied that 4 betting light, when done at all! (reads essential) should be done with a hand from a similar range as the above minus the suited connectors and one gappers as, suited connectors should be used to call a 3 bet light when in position

my concerns with using Ax's and Kx;s as 4 bet lights would be that it would be quite likely that the opponent would have an A and if we hit an A on the flop we could get into trouble... personally i think that Kx's may not be a good idea either in fact i think there may be no optimum 4 bet light hand ....!?

so my thoughts on the hand here are that the call preflop is not good due to your position , either fold or 4 bet light and take it from there, only call a 3 bet lgithly when in position

I also think that your chosen hand is not great hand to be either calling or four betting with so a fold would be best...  I would prefer to be playing my mid suited connectors in this spot than KQo but thats just me!--- fit or fold!

thats my two cents, 

best

John

• edited May 2013
    I agree with the above except we shouldn't be 4betting light to just c/f the flop everytime we get called and don't smash a flop. The whole point of 4betting light is that we rep a very strong range, so can c-bet people off alot of flops.

Be pretty easy to read if every time you 4bet AA you c-bet, and everytime you 4bet 8Ts you c/f.

Not saying we always have to 4bet light with Ax hands but they are good because we have the Ace blocker. If we have an Ace in our hand, it's less likely that our opponent has one, and it's VERY unlikely they've got 2 of the remaining aces for AA, so we're repping a really strong range and we know it's virtually impossible for them to have AA. Also, how many Ax hands are most people really gonna be happy continuing with to a 4bet? AK, AQ for some, AJ probably not, so we can fold out hands that have us crushed when he 3bets light with A5+ and we hold say A4

With hands like 67s, we want to see a flop and we can just easily fold a lot of flops or play draws aggressively, but we're not really that eager to see a flop with A4o cos it's just junk.
  • edited May 2013
    fold river how are u ever ahead here everything has got there 
  • edited May 2013
    Agreed, yes we shouldn't be 4betting light with the view of giving up most of the time... however when four betting light it should be against an over active 3 bettor who will most of the time (hopefully) be folding to the 4 bet, so the majority of the time i am looking to be making money by my opponent folding... and yes sometimes I will be c-betting a missed flop of course, but we must take into account that if our opponent has called our four bet we are almost all of the time crushed by AA, KK or QQ,  maybe JJ.... and so it may be wise to C bet only in optimum spots ... i think this is where there is a big difference post flop in 3 bet and 4 bet pots... we really have to be careful not to get ourselves stacked when fourbetting light...

Regarding the Aces... yes, very good points... most will not call our 4 bet with Ax, a factor i had somehow not taken into consideration and perhaps in retrospect Ax suited is the best hand to four bet light with... many thanks
  • edited May 2013
    what are you beating

a bluff ............