You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hate this so much :(

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
robbie1992 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £28.12
gibbzy Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £74.20
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

steve1602 Fold     
AFCBrett Fold     
taximania1 Call  £0.20 £0.50 £18.68
robbie1992 Raise  £0.80 £1.30 £27.32
gibbzy Raise  £3.50 £4.80 £70.70
taximania1 Fold     
robbie1992 Raise  £7.60 £12.40 £19.72
gibbzy All-in  £70.70 £83.10 £0.00
robbie1992 All-in  £19.72 £102.82 £0.00
gibbzy Unmatched bet  £46.18 £56.64 £46.18
robbie1992 Show
  • K
  • A

gibbzy Show
  • A
  • A

Flop

• J

Turn

River

gibbzy Win Two Pairs, Aces and 6s £54.84  £101.02
such a waste, remember having a convo about ak and getting it in pre and i worked out your never ahead and i got critism from a few players for saying this is a bad play, but what a waste of money this is,

Comments

• edited May 2013

Probably just call the 4 bet, the size of the 4 bet looks really strong.

With the 6 bet all in, you serioussly can fold here, it looks so much like Aces or Kings.

Unless yu have reads otherwise.

At the end of the day AK is a strong starting hand, ideal in tournies for shoving later on. But at cash do we really want to be getting it all in pre, when most of the time we will be flipping?

• edited May 2013
    Basically, you are 4betting to get it in here. If you're not happy about getting it in, then don't 4bet. Against a complete fish, or a good player I'm happy 4bet/getting it in. It's only super nits where I'd consider flatting to keep their range as wide as possible.
  • edited May 2013
    Robbie, you remember the conversation as being about getting AK all-in pre-flop. That's not what the conversation was.

What was actually being said was that you shouldn't 4-bet AK intending to fold unless you have very specific reads. When you 4-bet, it has to be because you think you can be called or 5-bet by worse. If you think you can't be called or 5-bet by worse, then don't 4-bet.

You also have to accept that sometimes your opponent will have the top of his range. If you believe that your opponent can 5-bet all-in with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, AQ or AJ, then it's the right decision to 4-bet with AK pre-flop. Sometimes he's going to have AA or KK but it doesn't mean that your decision to get it in was wrong because you're making the right decision against his range.

If your opponent's range is much tighter for 5-betting all-in or calling the 4-bet, then 4-betting is bad. If he can only continue with AA, KK or QQ against that action, don't give him that action.

You're making the same mistake I've criticised you for before - Thinking only about the absolute value of your hand, not the relative value. Nobody has been saying to you "Always get AK all-in pre-flop" without providing any context to it. That would be dumb. It would be just as dumb to say "You can never get AK all-in pre-flop".

Against some players you can get AK all-in pre-flop for 100BB profitably. Against other players you can't. It's up to you to figure out which players belong in which column.
  • edited May 2013

this is probably one of the few times AK could be worth making the fold.
    the button could be holding quite a varity so when you do a raise it is probably heading toward KQ+ AJ+ A10s 99+.
    when the BB then does a raise himself unless we have a note down that he is a fish or maniac the chances are we now just going to toss a coin because what he is most likely holding now is JJ+ or AKs maybe the outside chance of AQs but unlikely.
    another positive you could have had from just calling preflop is with a board like the one above you could have semi- bluff yourself to win the hand if a Q  hit the turn

• edited May 2013
    This opponent 3betting so large out of the BB is a very narrow range- i won't go into too much detail but my general advice would be think about oppo's sizing in other situations- being in position i prefer a flat against this particular opponent, although i can't comment on dynamics you had at the table at the time and that would obviously factor alot into the decisions.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Hate this so much :(:
    This opponent 3betting so large out of the BB is a very narrow range- i won't go into too much detail but my general advice would be think about oppo's sizing in other situations- being in position i prefer a flat against this particular opponent, although i can't comment on dynamics you had at the table at the time and that would obviously factor alot into the decisions.
    Posted by benc
    100% agree with this. 

Lambert also picks up on something else critical to this hand. 

Please censor names thus has effected so much responce here sigh. 

• edited May 2013
    hmm true i proberly wouldnt have semi bluffed this particular opponent i dont think though .  I had even done the equity calculations aginst nit , fish, and tag ranges weeks ago with this hand because there was some disscussion and it showed your never a favourite with this hand pre, best was like 55/45% .

The thoughts where i think i could be ahead off this villians range alot and if not im coin flipping.

Im oop so if i flat im gonna c/f alot, i wont be getting too fancy here.

would should i have been thinking?
  • edited May 2013
    standard to get in pre bvb

only if oppo is like a PASSIVE nit can you consider folding or calling to the 3 bet
    so you have to say ok you never raise this spot with 10'S/AQ/AJ

• edited May 2013

You can just fold v that sizing.

bvb it's harder coz you can level yourself but if he's honestly never light (3 betting to 18xbb suggests he isn't), or raising 99/TT/JJ/AQs/KQs for value, just let it go and lose 4xbb instead of 150xbb.

Don't like flatting. 4b for V or fold.
  • edited May 2013
    i dont mind the fold preflop 
  • edited May 2013
    i wished i had folded pre flop, the 4 bet was for value against this opponent, but he just looks strong in my opinion and i have well over hundred bb, dont really wanna risk that for a flip....at best
  • edited May 2013
    In your shoes vs this villain I'd have played it the same, and usually be delighted to get it in. The only thing unusual is their 3b size, which is on the large side for them.

Thanks for leaving name in, free notes ftw!

Ul this time mate.

• edited May 2013
    Prob folding vs that sizing readless, if they always 3bet to that size then pretty happy to 4bet/call
  • edited May 2013
    Opps forgot to take names out lol yeah there was a bet sizing tell but didnt expect aces tbh. Splashies I backed Clive platt top goals scorer in league 2, what happened to him :(
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Hate this so much :(:
    Opps forgot to take names out lol yeah there was a bet sizing tell but didnt expect aces tbh. Splashies I backed Clive platt top goals scorer in league 2, what happened to him :(
    Posted by robbie1992
    Oh dear.