You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

top two, draw completes, oppo donk shoves - NL4

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This is a villain I've not seen much of. Although he was playing 2 or 3 tables nothing stood him out from the "common rabble"

This is the first pot he's tangled with me in.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
clubhammer Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.98
xBig blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.16
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

garner909 Fold     
matsam Fold     
The_Don90 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £5.48
loonytoons Call  £0.16 £0.38 £7.44
clubhammer Fold     
xCall  £0.12 £0.50 £3.04
Flop

• A

xCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  £0.38 £0.88 £5.10
loonytoons Fold     
xCall  £0.38 £1.26 £2.66
Turn

• Q

xCheck     
The_Don90 Bet  £0.95 £2.21 £4.15
xCall  £0.95 £3.16 £1.71
River

xAll-in  £1.71 £4.87 £0.00
The_Don90

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Sucks to be you. This is alway a fold. Played the hand perfectly to get value from draws and Ax but if he had Ax I would have thought they are just going to x/c three streets. Therefore he either got there on the turn or more likely he has the flush.
  • edited May 2013
    Call... Take note. If he's going to be playing his draws this face up, that information is worth the price. If he's not, that information is worth the price. If this opponent's multi-tabling you can assume you'll see him again.

3:1 on your money? I'd call. You're probably not good 1/4 times so readless it's a fold, but you want reads so call.

I probably wouldn't bet so much on the turn because you're making it hard for him to call with a draw. What do I know, though? He called so it worked out.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: top two, draw completes, oppo donk shoves - NL4:
    Call... Take note. If he's going to be playing his draws this face up, that information is worth the price. If he's not, that information is worth the price. If this opponent's multi-tabling you can assume you'll see him again. 3:1 on your money? I'd call. You're probably not good 1/4 times so readless it's a fold, but you want reads so call. I probably wouldn't bet so much on the turn because you're making it hard for him to call with a draw. What do I know, though? He called so it worked out.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    So you're happy to lose another 42BBs to this player just to get "reads" on them even though you think there is a < 25% chance that top two is good here? How often do you see a new player take this line (call from blinds, x/c, x/c, shove river) without the nuts? If reads are so important, why not just wait until he takes this line against another player and let them pay half a stack? I think calling here is a mistake.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Don,

Interestingly, it looks like the same situation from craigcu12's recent post so you might be interested to go check that out. In that instance, x value shoved the turn with a set. So all in all with that information, I think it might be a fold.

The fact that the replies have been divided shows how tough a decision it is though.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: top two, draw completes, oppo donk shoves - NL4 : So you're happy to lose another 42BBs to this player just to get "reads" on them even though you think there is a < 25% chance that top two is good here? How often do you see a new player take this line (call from blinds, x/c, x/c, shove river) without the nuts? If reads are so important, why not just wait until he takes this line against another player and let them pay half a stack? I think calling here is a mistake.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    No, you're right. I don't think we're going to be winning 25% of the time but I don't think we're going to be losing 100% of the time either.

I guess it's just how much of a dent you're happy to take for the information. If you're winning only 10%/15%/20% of the time, is the information worth the difference? I'd call because I don't think it's massively losing and I don't think that my opponent is necessarily going to play against other players the same way he'd play against me... and I'm a calling station. :)

As I say, it's a fold readless but it depends how much you value the read.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Don, Interestingly, it looks like the same situation from craigcu12's recent post so you might be interested to go check that out. In that instance, x value shoved the turn with a set. So all in all with that information, I think it might be a fold. The fact that the replies have been divided shows how tough a decision it is though.
    Posted by tomllew22
    Theres quite a big differance, mostly because craig has reads, where as i dont. 

For what its worth, given that we have a bankroll is i benificial to have a note on a guy who we know is playing more than one table. I think it is. So that 50BB we're saving could gain us alot more in the long run. As Borinloner says, most people who multitable inparticualr will play other multitablers different to those that dont. 
  • edited May 2013
    oppo still does this with hands you beat
  • edited May 2013
    cadburys
    are
    lame
    lol
  • edited May 2013
    So what did he have then Don? I know that you are too much of a station to have folded.
  • edited May 2013
    So what did he have then Don? I know that you are too much of a station to have folded.
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Im not that uch of a station now, but i still like my hero's. he had 3rd pair.