You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Satelite Strategy

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat

I played the mini sat last week £1.20, entry, 1 in 5 win a seat to the mini.

A guy shoved, with a shortish stack, i had 20-25% of the chips in play, and called with AK. He had ace 6, and hut a flush. Afterwards speaking to a friend, he said i should have just folded and not got involved because all i had to do was sustain my stack, with a few short stacks kicking about. I totally agree with this.

Tonight i was playing the same satelite, it was down to 5 handed, 4 got a seat, 5th got £4 odd quid.

I was in the BB, UTG shoves I have 5 8 suited and 4/5 big blinds, i decided to call hoping for live cards/ and knew if i lost atleast i had a profit. IS this an automatic call? Or should i just see another rotation of the table, where 2 other players might clash?

stokefc Small blind  600.00 600.00 8840.00
LARSON7 Big blind  1200.00 1800.00 5755.00
  Your hole cards

ELITE All-in  12345.00 14145.00 0.00
vegasman Fold     
Wilhelm Fold     
stokefc Fold     
LARSON7 All-in  5755.00 19900.00 0.00
ELITE Unmatched bet  5390.00 14510.00 5390.00
LARSON7 Show

ELITE Show
  • A

Flop

• K
  • A

Turn

River

ELITE Win Two Pairs, Aces and 10s

Comments

• edited May 2013
    As you've already cashed for 4/5ths of the buy-in of the seat I don't think its terrible to call here, but I can't remember if there was another small stack on the table, in which case you could make an argument for folding.
  • edited May 2013

There was 1 other shortish stack, 5-6k, the rest having about 9k plus.

• edited May 2013
    In a vacuum, it's a horrible call, but as Wilhelm says, you've already cashed for 4x your buy-in and are playing solely for the other £1, so that mitigates it somewhat.

I still think I'd fold here, I'm not getting any value
  • edited May 2013
    iTS A SAT BUT NOT A TRUE ONE AS USUALLY ITS ALL OR NOTHING AT THIS STAGE. CHECKING ON OTHER STACK SIZES IS CRUCIAL. iF IT WAS A TRUE ONE THEN CALLING CS=3 EFF WITH 85S  IS INCORRECT I'M AFRAID. yOU WILL HAVE THE SB TO PAY AND THEN HAVE A CIRCUIT TO FIND A HAND TO PUSH WITH . yOU SHOULD BE PUTTING YOUR OPPONENT TO THE TEST IN THE DECISION. nOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. HOWEVER IF YOU ARE OFF-SETTING THE CASH THEN I SUPPOSE YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU WANT AND TAKE A 60:40 CHANCE THOUGH THAT DIDN'T MATERIALISE.