You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was it wrong of me to call the turn

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic

my reads on this villain are he is very tight and it is very rare for a raise to be made. 

Donttelmum Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.86
BillyWiz68 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.26
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

xRaise  £0.12 £0.18 £4.54
craigcu12 Raise  £0.36 £0.54 £5.45
Arcticmoss Fold     
Donttelmum Fold     
BillyWiz68 Fold     
xCall  £0.24 £0.78 £4.30
Flop

• K
  • J

xCheck     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.40 £1.18 £5.05
xRaise  £1.19 £2.37 £3.11
craigcu12 Call  £0.79 £3.16 £4.26
Turn

• A

xCheck     
craigcu12 Bet  £0.40 £3.56 £3.86
xAll-in  £3.11 £6.67 £0.00
craigcu12 Call  £2.71 £9.38 £1.15
xShow
  • J
  • J

craigcu12 Show
  • A
  • K

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Hey Craig,

It's a tough 1, and i'm doing my stack here too.

But against this sort of player, and i have been getting a bit better at this, sometimes i can fold, where as before i was calling all the way. Calling the flop, we definatly have to go with it on the turn, as he could be doing this with 2 pairs, as well as a set.

But at this level, when we are reraised by a tight reg, it almost always is a set.
  • edited May 2013

with your reads it looks like a comfortable fold on the flop.

• edited May 2013
    luls we read him very tight but we 3bets him preflop utg+1 vs utg and then bet call a KJ9 flop, basically he reps AA/KK/AK/JJ/99 leaving us drawing pretty thin.
  • edited May 2013
    Hi Craig,

It's tough, but I think a lesson well learned. Given his tight nature, his UTG raise seems suspicious, while his flat call to your re-raise pre-flop should indicate 9s, 10s or maybe Js, with some other AK sort of hands also in his range.

On the flop, his check - raise is so strong, given his image, this should be a long think before you make that call. Out of interest, what do you believe his image of you to be? Does he give you credit for As, Ks if you show strength? Does he three-bet light on the flop? All this information will send you in the right direction.

His shove on the turn really narrows his range so much. Would a super-tight 0.02 / 0.04 player go all in without the stone cold nuts? Probably not. I think he gives you credit for hitting an A or a K, with an AK two-pair at the top of your range, all hands that his set dominates.

Your bet sizing is spot on though pre-flop and on the flop, hope this helps!
  • edited May 2013
    what i should have known was given the amount of times he will fold if a cbet is made post flop i don't know at all why i bothered calling.
  • edited May 2013
    pre is fine. Post flop you only have one pair on a flop which people never ever bluff at. He has no value hands that you beat.