You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What is villain repping?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Late into the tournament (last 4 I beleive).  Villain is a bit loose pre which has been noted... He likes his draws too.

Is this a fold so late on?  He just seen me bust two players with premium hands.  Surely he knows I could easily have a set.  I can't put him on anything other than the flush or a complete bluff.
BLUEM0ON13 Small blind   400.00 400.00 28350.00
x
Big blind   800.00 1200.00 38216.25
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

gazza127 Raise   1600.00 2800.00 26813.75
ajw1310 Fold        
BLUEM0ON13 Fold        
x Call   800.00 3600.00 37416.25
Flop

• A

x Check        
gazza127 Bet   1800.00 5400.00 25013.75
x Call   1800.00 7200.00 35616.25
Turn

x Check        
gazza127 Bet   5400.00 12600.00 19613.75
x Call   5400.00 18000.00 30216.25
River

• K

x All-in   30216.25 48216.25 0.00
gazza127 Fold        
x Muck        
x Win   18000.00   18000.00
x Return   30216.25 0.00 48216.25
He said he had a pair of tens in the chat window which was clearly a lie unless he had a 10 of spades as well as another spade.  QJ of spades makes a whole lot of sense to me as he picks up a lot of equity on the turn, and it explains the call on the flop.  Can't see him holding many other hands.

Too tight?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    any two spades
    a pair of tens - whcih turned 3 tens could also make some sense. 
  • edited May 2013
    disgusting spot

I honestly don't know what I would have done. It looks like a flush that got there, but If he is loose and capable of moves it could well be an attempt to bully you off the hand.. who knows! You didn't press call so we don't know!

On a side note- turn sizing is prob a little heavy for me. I know there are lots of draws but I prefer ~4.5k 

• edited May 2013
    Whether he had trips, a straight or a flush here is really neither here nor there.. but we need to look at our bet sizing preflop and on the flop. A min raise pre makes it cheap for the villian to call with any pair, connecting cards (i.e QJ) or suited spades....   why didn't we make it 3xBB pre?..and a half pot bet on the flop shows weakness and also gives enough value for the villian to call. so why didn't we bet the pot or shove and show our dominance and kill the had at this stage.
    Also you mention you are last for or the tournie..are we in it to win it?..if so then the shove on the flop was the move...if the villian wants to risk his stack and he gets lucky then at least you tried and went out with your head held high.....I'll probably be critised for this post but this is my take and observation on the hand...
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: What is villain repping?:
    Whether he had trips, a straight or a flush here is really neither here nor there.. but we need to look at our bet sizing preflop and on the flop. A min raise pre makes it cheap for the villian to call with any pair, connecting cards (i.e QJ) or suited spades....   why didn't we make it 3xBB pre?..and a half pot bet on the flop shows weakness and also gives enough value for the villian to call. so why didn't we bet the pot or shove and show our dominance and kill the had at this stage. Also you mention you are last for or the tournie..are we in it to win it?..if so then the shove on the flop was the move...if the villian wants to risk his stack and he gets lucky then at least you tried and went out with your head held high.....I'll probably be critised for this post but this is my take and observation on the hand...
    Posted by larry1959
    this is terrilble advice, min raising is totally standard at this blind level, nobody 3 x raises at this level anymore apart from people stuck in a time warp, and why in the hell you would want to lose all value in just shoving the flop with tptk is beyond me, the hand is played perfectly just a horrible spot on the river!!
  • edited May 2013
    personally at this stage of the mtt min-raising is fine
    on the flop i think as long you bet 1/2 pot upwards on this board if also fine
    turn I also think is fine don`t think I play this hand any different tbh.

river sucks but really most time when an opponent just check calls 2 streets and then the draw comes in and all sudden they bet big think we have to give them credit unless they are thinking player and can rep the flush but don`t think many good players c/c 2 streets and then overbet allin on a bluff here hoping you fold or having hit river yourself.

also think if opponent had a set/2pr/or even 78 for straight think a lot of players raise turn with the 2 flush draws on board,so I don`t think they would overbet allin with these hands on river after a possible flush came in.

so yeah river is fold for me but you played hand spot on imo.
  • edited May 2013
    Whether he had trips, a straight or a flush here is really neither here nor there.. but we need to look at our bet sizing preflop and on the flop. A min raise pre makes it cheap for the villian to call with any pair, connecting cards (i.e QJ) or suited spades....   why didn't we make it 3xBB pre?..and a half pot bet on the flop shows weakness and also gives enough value for the villian to call. so why didn't we bet the pot or shove and show our dominance and kill the had at this stage. Also you mention you are last for or the tournie..are we in it to win it?..if so then the shove on the flop was the move...if the villian wants to risk his stack and he gets lucky then at least you tried and went out with your head held high.....I'll probably be critised for this post but this is my take and observation on the hand...
    Posted by larry1959
    In Response to Re: What is villain repping? : this is terrilble advice, min raising is totally standard at this blind level, nobody 3 x raises at this level anymore apart from people stuck in a time warp, and why in the hell you would want to lose all value in just shoving the flop with tptk is beyond me, the hand is played perfectly just a horrible spot on the river!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    yup! lol :D

* Best edit, +1 to therock. As stacks go shallower there's no need to 3x Larry. Also no need to shut down the hand when we're significantly ahead most of the time. Quite the opposite, in fact.
  • edited May 2013
    repping a flush obviously lol  looks like hes got there aswell
  • edited May 2013
    Posted by larry1959
    Its hard for me to take this post seriously. Why do we want worse hands to fold? I get zero value from a shove pre (3x pre is probably even worse)... and a full pot bet on the flop? Why would I want him to fold Ax or the flush draw? I have him dominated and want to maximise value from calling hands. If that river card is a total blank ive maximised value from a winning hand. Its just a horrible spot.

Consensus is right fold then? 
  • edited May 2013
    i think its a fold cant see much ya beating tbh no wrose 2 pair are going to shove on a nasty river 
  • edited May 2013
    I think you played the hand just fine.
    I don't love it but I think I do a call here.

Based on your reads I'm ruling out a set and a flush draw here.
    I think he would be 3 betting preflop any pairs and play a flush draw much more aggressively.

They will often show up with a worse 2 pair here or total air
  • edited May 2013
    I think you played the hand just fine. I don't love it but I think I do a call here. Based on your reads I'm ruling out a set and a flush draw here. I think he would be 3 betting preflop any pairs and play a flush draw much more aggressively. They will often show up with a worse 2 pair here or total air
    Posted by Jac35
    a competent player would play a flush draw more aggressivley, this is sky remember. its a flush draw all over from an in experienced player, chases his draw hits and then bombs the river cos hes never heard of a vbet
  • edited May 2013
    think i'd still call, then curse myself when he shows the flush.
  • edited May 2013
    I think you played it well. Its a tough fold on the river.
  • edited May 2013
    your headline is not the right question
    what he is repping is clear - it's a hand that beats you
    what he actually has is the problem
    ask yourself how many times is it worth your tourney life calling to find out if he really has it, given that you have a very playable stack should you fold?
    I would probably rate it not as a #sigh fold but as a #ffs fold
    the possible exceptions would be if you felt you were being totally outplayed anyway, and hence had nothing to lose by making the hero call,
    or if it was a very cheap tournament wrt your bankroll and you thought it was worth getting notes on the villain