You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Last nights show

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Firstly let me say I thought last nights show was great. I think the show is much improved by covering one MTT. I was in stitches when James and Sam were corpsing and loved the banter but I have an issue with the hands being shown.
I realise that action hands are being shown and most of the hands sent in by players were their bad beats but are these really the best hands to show?
Seeing all these bad beats gives the inexperienced players (who I think SKY are targeting) the wrong impression ,how many times on this forum have we had someone new to SKY come on here complaing how its fixed and bad cards always get there. Any one who has played enough games on here know that is no more or less than anywhere else or live but new players do not realise this. Seeing these hands on the TV just gives them more fuel for their make believe fire.
Last night even Sam was calling out the cards for the beat because we know it wouldnt be shown otherwise.
I believe it would be more interesting and informative to show maybe 10/20 hands in a row from 1 table. Yes they might all be raise and take it but this gives the inexperienced a better view on what poker is really like.
Of course you would throw in the odd huge pot hand ( maybe a bad beat because it is part of poker) to see how someone became chip leader or a hand that someone has sent in with a tricky spot and interesting talking point.

I realise this is very easy to talk about and much much harder to actually do in the confines of a live show. I hope this is not taken as a dig at the show because as I have said covering a whole tourney is great and the presenters were class.

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I think there's a real danger that this sort of thing would make poker look boring, particularly in the early levels of the super roller.

Generally speaking, poker isn't that interesting to watch. It's not normally that interesting to be involved in either, which is why so many of us play multiple tables. I don't think it's a good idea for Sky Poker to habitually make the game look boring. Although I agree that once in a while this sort of thing isn't a bad idea, which is why I'd like 'Analyse My Play' to occasionally return to featuring one player for an hour in a tournament.

I wouldn't like an hour of that every week though. I think it would get old pretty quickly.
  • edited May 2013
    Yep it had me woooooowing as all the best hand were getting beat on the river.
  • edited May 2013
    Didn,t watch last night but kind of agree that in tournaments its just the knockout hands that are generally shown and all the hands shown go to showdown. I,d like to see more tactical hands shown although if they don,t go to showdown we are none the wiser what each person had so can understand it from that point of view.

I like seeing the hands that are masked but these only seem to be the ones which ppl have requested. Could we not see more of these in live tournament play where we may get to see some good/bad folds and bluffs
  • edited May 2013

Morning Jonjo.

I think that is a terrific Post, & you make some excellent points, & you make them well.

Not an excuse, or blaming anyone, but the usual "Hand-Picker" was absent on Sunday, and a different chap was selecting hands to be shown. 

I agree with you 100%, too many back to back "car-crash" hands can get a bit tiresome & predictable.

I quite like the idea of showing, say, 20 consecutive hands, or 3 orbits, or whatever, from a single table, to show what poker is really like. The problem with that is that real poker, "as played", can be very slow, but on the upside, it enables us, & the viewers, to start to get "reads" on what players may or may not do.

Anyway, I'll pass your comments onto the Producer, & see what he thinks.

It's all about our usual friend - Mr Balance.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Last nights show:
    Morning Jonjo. I think that is a terrific Post, & you make some excellent points, & you make them well. Not an excuse, or blaming anyone, but the usual "Hand-Picker" was absent on Sunday, and a different chap was selecting hands to be shown.  I agree with you 100%, too many back to back "car-crash" hands can get a bit tiresome & predictable. I quite like the idea of showing, say, 20 consecutive hands, or 3 orbits, or whatever, from a single table, to show what poker is really like. The problem with that is that real poker, "as played", can be very slow, but on the upside, it enables us, & the viewers, to start to get "reads" on what players may or may not do. Anyway, I'll pass your comments onto the Producer, & see what he thinks. It's all about our usual friend - Mr Balance.
    Posted by Tikay10
    BIB I'm all in favour of this. Although we have had lots of poker coverage on the TV and 861 over the years it's always about the action hands and tends to give a false impression of the game. Most of us learnt about poker through the TV and some players seem to think they have to play every hand going. Anything that may better educate new players or improve poor play is surely a good thing. But done in moderation.
  • edited May 2013

Another good Post - as ever - by Daggy.
  • edited May 2013
    Tikay i missed Sundays show so im might sound like a complete idiot here. 

As far as im aware right now the channel is focusing on trying to attract new players. While i find watching AA v KK every hand very boring, surely going the show every hand for 3 orbits approch isn't really going to sell to many new players. Not in an mtt anyways i don't think. 

Cash it might can work purely because more hands will see a flop. Again im not 100% convinced. 

Obviously the correct balance has to be found and thats why the boffins are paid to do a job because its insanely hard to find the correct balance. 

What I'd really like to persoanlly see more of is hands where there is an extremely difficult decision at somepoint in the hand. Although thats probably not something that will appeal to new players so I won't hold my breathe. 

Edit: also as a request can more MTTs get a TV symbol please, this might help shows such as the poker clinic. 
  • edited May 2013
    I think the 20 hand run is a good thing maybe in the 3/4 stage of the tourney as more hands are played when people need to get a boost on chips or need to double up.

Players need to learn the good and the bad side of poker.

Maybe on that point you could pick say one player in a tourney who you shadow for the night and see how they get on with the tourney.

Maybe following a player for a hour would work if that player is happy to be followed.
  • edited May 2013
    20 hands shown is a good idea if newbies watch the show they gonna think the site is rigged as jonjo pointed out ya only show hands that are car crashes good hands losing to bad hands etc