You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Heads Up: Should I be losing my stack here?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hey guys, I've been playing on the site for about a year now but I'm fairly new to the forum, so go easy on me!

Playing a £0.02 / £0.04 heads up cash game, I donate my stack with a weaker flush. The villain is a solid player, who doesn't three bet too often but though I would call his three-bet pre-flop to mix up my game a little with a decent ish hand. I pretty much raise 90% of my hands on the button.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
tomllew22 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.29
PopeyBoy Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.29
  Your hole cards
  • J

tomllew22 Raise   £0.06 £0.12 £3.23
PopeyBoy Raise   £0.12 £0.24 £4.17
tomllew22 Call   £0.08 £0.32 £3.15
Flop

• Q

PopeyBoy Check        
tomllew22 Check        
Turn

PopeyBoy Bet   £0.16 £0.48 £4.01
tomllew22 Call   £0.16 £0.64 £2.99
River

PopeyBoy Bet   £0.32 £0.96 £3.69
tomllew22 Raise   £1.00 £1.96 £1.99
PopeyBoy All-in   £3.69 £5.65 £0.00
tomllew22 All-in   £1.99 £7.64 £0.00
PopeyBoy Unmatched bet   £1.02 £6.62 £1.02
tomllew22 Show
  • J

PopeyBoy Show
  • K

PopeyBoy Win Flush to the King £6.12   £7.14
My question is: should I have avoided this? I feel heads up my flush is good a lot of the time. Or is that fishy thinking?

I'm really looking to work on my heads-up game. It's the variant of poker I enjoy the most but I'm nowhere near as competent as a 6 max-game, so any general tips also would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if that thread exists somewhere, please point me to it !

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I personally bet the flop here, probably ends the hand there and then and if we're called we have outs. 

Meh sick runners.
  • edited May 2013
    given he has hit the flop I don't think you will get away from it
    have to get it all in on the river
  • edited May 2013
    Cheers for the feedback guys. In hinsight betting the flop would have been a better play long term, I was just trying to mix it up a bit because I c-bet very often on the flop hit or miss, so sometimes check the flop in position with air or a strong hand / draw for deception.

Glad to hear it wasn't a complete mistake then!
  • edited May 2013
    Agree with the above, heads up we need to shove the river here.

When you play heads up cash at 2p-4p does the rake not just eat away at your money?

I would love to play cash heads up, but the last time I done it before I knew it both me and my opponents starting stack were down by about 40p and there was no serious swings either way!
  • edited May 2013
    I don't actually mind the check back on the flop having been 3bet pre as alot of the time we will face a check raise on the flop and be put to a tough decision with just the straight draw whereas checking back our draw is disguised and we can pick up more equity on the turn as we do with the flushdraw, then from the turn the hand plays itself. Definetly getting it in on the river, ul.