You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DUCKING THE ISSUE

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Was I the only one to be amused by Sky Poker's determination not to mention, or even display, the player name Duck Sarse on Sunday night's live show? When I first saw the name on the site I burst out laughing, pretty much most people's reaction I should imagine, but not only could it not be read out on the show they even went to the lengths of excising the second half of it from the visual display.
In this day and age it seems unnecessarily prudish given the content of other shows that Sky is happy to broadcast  and, let's be honest, you'll hear worse in any primary school playground. Anyone likely to be offended by this name isn't going to be watching a late night poker programme in the first place.
Personally, I give full marks to Mr Duck for coming up with an original and amusing name.
Come on Sky Poker, join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Just an opinion. What do others think?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    duck, rhymes with

luck
  • edited May 2013
    I agree, nice post.

It's a shame fannyfart1 didn't go deep!
  • edited May 2013

Yes, it is easy to mock Sky Poker for this, Sir, but everything for a reason, as my Grandad used to say.

The Show is repeated in daytime hours, so it is not, as you suggest, "a late night programme" & it is not thought appropriate to glorify such names.

Incidentally, the folks at Sky Poker.com, & Channel 861, do not make these rules & edicts, they come from up on high. We are obliged to conform, it is not a choice.

Anyway, I'm glad it amused you, every cloud has a silver lining, eh?

PS - I don't actually know this, but I have a sneaky feeling that the Gentleman's name is not Mr Duck, but to check it out, I'll have a quick gander later.
  • edited May 2013
    a duck today
    a **** tomorrow
    it will become a farce
    if you let in the ars*
  • edited May 2013

"Duck Sarse folds" has severe spoonerism tendancies, I would add.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism

• edited May 2013
    Chirs Moyles used to say a*s on his breakfast show all the time but Sky seems to be a bit more conservative than the BBC...

More conservative than auntie beeb? That's pretty conservative.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: DUCKING THE ISSUE:
    Chirs Moyles used to say a*s on his breakfast show all the time but Sky seems to be a bit more conservative than the BBC... More conservative than auntie beeb? That's pretty conservative.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Well the situation on Channel 861 is as dictated to others & myself from up on high, which does not necessarily mean that we, or I, agree with it, although I doubt anyone will discern the difference.

However......personally, I don't really think that Mr Moyles sets any particular standards that I would wish to follow.

"Because Chris Moyles said it" is a kite that would not fly even in a storm force wind.

Interesting debate though.  

• edited May 2013
    " Duck Sarse folds " has severe spoonerism tendancies, I would add.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoonerism
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you for that, Tikay. I was. in fact, already aware of what a Spoonerism is but I do appreciate your attempt to educate me and I take the point about the potential for inadvertant mispronunciation.

With reference to your earlier post, I wasn't intending to mock Sky Poker, or anyone else and if it came across like that I apologise but my point about other shows Sky is happy to broadcast still stands. In my opinion there are double standards at work here.

Please don't take anything I've said personally, the last thing I would wish to do is give offence to someone I have the greatest respect for.

I look forward to your next show. Hopefully the Duck will not feature.
  • edited May 2013

Thank you very much Mr Evergreen, all understood & accepted.

The spoonerism link was not specifically to you, it was to a wider audience, not everyone knows the story of poor old Dr Spooner.

I have THE most wonderful job, full of variety, but sometimes I have to deliver messages which are a little awkward, & I apologise if it came across wrong, or not as intended.

By way of an excuse, there are very few days when Clients do NOT suggest that the Business does things which do not meet with their approval, & that's fine & dandy. The painful part, for me personally, is the repeated assumption (not in this case, obviously), that because the Business does things that Clients do not like, or agree with, that Management are all daft. (For daft, insert all manner of unfortunate & acerbic adjectives....). Sometimes those assumptions are made rather forcefully. 

Sort it out sky, wtf?

;)  

• edited May 2013
    ya coulda said duck sauce it sounds like ducks ar se   and ya coulda done  barbara streisand dance :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: DUCKING THE ISSUE : Well the situation on Channel 861 is as dictated to others & myself from up on high, which does not necessarily mean that we, or I, agree with it, although I doubt anyone will discern the difference. However......personally, I don't really think that Mr Moyles sets any particular standards that I would wish to follow. "Because Chris Moyles said it " is a kite that would not fly even in a storm force wind.   Interesting debate though.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't think I'd welcome the Sky Poker folks effing and jeffing all the time, and I would agree that Moyles isn't necessarily the example everyone should follow.

It amuses me, though, that particular sequences of letters or words can be considered rude or taboo. I often wonder if this will persist in the future after generations are brought up with the internet as an omni-present force. If so, which words might people titter over in twenty or thirty years? 
  • edited May 2013
     It would be fun to see a player calling himself 2shakesofa sitting at the same table as Mr Duck.

Just a thought.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: DUCKING THE ISSUE : I don't think I'd welcome the Sky Poker folks effing and jeffing all the time, and I would agree that Moyles isn't necessarily the example everyone should follow. It amuses me, though, that particular sequences of letters or words can be considered rude or taboo. I often wonder if this will persist in the future after generations are brought up with the internet as an omni-present force. If so, which words might people titter over in twenty or thirty years? 
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Poker ?

• edited May 2013
    Your gander comment was not wasted Tikay as I got it lol