You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How would I extract maximum value from this?

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancegarry1954Small blind £0.02£0.02£0.54jamboGJBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.92 Your hole cardsJQ   baccymanFold    MorkOfOrkFold    greggo1410Raise £0.12£0.18£4.40slackaliceCall £0.12£0.30£2.84garry1954Call £0.10£0.40£0.44jamboGJCall £0.08£0.48£3.84Flop  K910   garry1954Check    jamboGJCheck    greggo1410Bet £0.12£0.60£4.28slackaliceCall £0.12£0.72£2.72garry1954Fold    jamboGJFold    Turn  3   greggo1410Check    slackaliceCheck    River  7   greggo1410Bet £0.28£1.00£4.00slackaliceFold    greggo1410Muck    greggo1410Win £0.66 £4.66greggo1410Return £0.28£0.06£4.94

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Bet it bigger on the flop. (why didn't you?)

Then bet big on the turn (why didn't you?)

Then bigger on the river.
  • edited May 2013
    Forget about this one specific hand.

Over time it is best to BET BET BET with the nuts at Nl4, bet at least 30p on the flop (that's an extra 18p already)

• edited May 2013
    Yup, bigger on the flop. Bet the turn and bigger on the river.

• edited May 2013
    Wanted to keep player in the hand after the flop as there was a lot of folding.
    Turn I tried to check-raise.
    River I can't explain why I bet so low.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: How would I extract maximum value from this?:
    Wanted to keep player in the hand after the flop as there was a lot of folding. Turn I tried to check-raise. River I can't explain why I bet so low.
    Posted by greggo1410
    Keep them in the hand with what? If they have a K, T or 9 theyll probably call. If they have a J or Q theyll probably call. Stop thinking about "i need to keep EVERYONE in this hand even if they have nothing" and start thinking "how can i get paid the most money by the person with the 2nd best hand?" and the answer is always BET, and bet BIG.

You opponents are trying to make a hand so the only way to get money is to charge them a lot to see the next card. People at nl4 will always pay you off.
  • edited May 2013
    I know I'm repeating what others have said but....

There's 4 people in the hand, you can bet your bottom dollar someone has hit this flop or is drawing... and you will get a caller even if you bet close to the pot value. And then by the turn card the pot has grown so much more and will be exponentially greater in value down the line... that's how you get paid!

bet 40p on the flop - 1 caller and the pot is now £1.28 - even if the turn is folded to your next bet you've already made more cash..  if they want to call streets down the line then you've built the pots up subsantially and hence forth the bets will be bigger....

every now and then the pots may not get past the flop but they extra cash you're building on the occurances that you're getting called, or better still raised! will more than make it worth it...

• edited May 2013
    Thanks for the advice, look forward to using it in the future
  • edited May 2013
    Bet turn. Overbet river.
  • edited June 2013
    Bet 3/4 pot or pot on flop.
    Bet 3/4 pot on turn.
    Shove river.

If they fold you were never getting paid anyway and you win a small pot. If they don't fold then you win a big pot.

The way you play it, they folded and you won a small pot. If they call the river, you win a small pot.