You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Conflict Between Celestial Bodies (SNG Thread)

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
Some time ago the blind structure of the regular 6-max sit and go's was altered after some discussion on this forum. That was very pleasing and I think the structures were dramatically improved. Some buy-in levels were also removed to consolidate traffic and reduce waiting times. This was all good news, in my opinion.

Unfortunately no promotion work was done in order to draw attention to the regular SNG lobby. I think this is a missed opportunity.

For anyone not familiar with the "Battle Of The Planets" on another site, it's a sit and go promotion which rewards a player's performance across a sample of 20 games within a week (there's also a higher band that runs across a sample of 100 games but that's not relevant here). Points are awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place and a league table at the end of each week decides the prizes.

The benefit of this short-period, long-term promotion is that recreational players can stretch to playing 20 times in a week so they don't feel it excludes them in favour of high-volume players. It also rewards performance rather than participation, so the games are more enjoyable, which encourages people to keep playing. I think most importantly from a business point of view is that it's possible to market it over the long term because the promotion never ends. It simply restarts week on week.

So would it not be a good idea for Sky to run a similar promotion for SNG's, albeit not on the same scale as the other site?

I must emphasise that I would view it as imperative that either i) DYM's would not be considered as part of this promotion (it would seem impractical to reward DYM 'wins' in this way, and would do nothing to increase regular SNG traffic) or ii) a separate league to reward DYM 'wins' be set up within this structure.

I don't want to speculate on the particulars of any such promotion because I don't want to narrow the debate too much. I just would like players' and Sky Poker's opinions on whether a long-term, short-period rewards promotion such as this would be a good idea. I can't understand why it doesn't already exist, to be honest.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    This sounds like a wonderful idea. I learnt my poker playing SNG and love playing them but since I joined sky 6 years ago I have rarely played them because it takes far to long to get a game going. Not to mention the fact that its mainly DYM's or turbo SNG's that get filled and I prefer the 10 seaters and standard formats.

There is never any promotions about them so they get forgotten about and something like this would hopefully get traffic in them up. I would love to see this going any maybe even a monthly version that amalgamates the 4 weekly leagues into one Top 6 playoff (the top 6 winners over 4 weeks) thats shown on the TV channel as a way of promoting it with an added prizepool. Doesnt have to be a lot just something to encourage people to play.
  • edited June 2013
    Nice one Borin

I'm not a large volume player by any means but I do enjoy the competitive edge of a league on top of playing. Most of the promotions I ignore as they are irrelevant in my situation. I'd certainly consider having a go at such a challenge. One success and you may find I play many more games on a regular basis along with a number of other. Increased traffic fans increased volume is an aim for sky. Targeting lower volume players should be in the wherewithal of sky poker as it makes sense. Seems a no brainier to me. Good suggestion Borin, yet again.
  • edited June 2013
    Good idea.  A friend of mine joined a few weeks ago, unfortunately it coincided with major lobby issues, so I told him to try again, but he's a SnG fan and gave up because no games were running. Shame really. Anything that drives volume on SnGs (and Lambert did run a comp just after the structures were changed to do with consecutive wins, that didn't get much interest tbh) would be a good thing.