You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky poker promotions - feedback

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
Ive seen posted in about 3 different threads now complaints about the recent, or future promotions.

Thus i thought it would be a good idea to create a thread where everyone could give honest feedback on what they thought of the recent or future promotions. 

I hope that we can also all suggest improvements sky could make for future promotions.

Comments

• edited May 2013

Firstly i think the fact that the most recent on "big deal" encouraged soo many players to drop to NL4, play very few hands over 20-30 tables killed it. At one point NO NL4 tables where spawning. Now thats bad for sky surely in the long term. If the people who deposit money cant get a seat on tables, then that kills the whole infastucure of the site. 

I also personally think the payouts for the higher one was too low. As Smitalos said somewhere else 5 buy ins isnt worth getting out of bed for. Those games played as normal. Where as for all those who dropped to NL4, 75 Buy ins was the top prize. I finnished 9th and got 25 buy ins. 

For improvements, incentives to win would be much better than just hands dealt into with rake. Maybe most hands won would be better. 
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky poker promotions - feedback:
    Firstly i think the fact that the most recent on "big deal" encouraged soo many players to drop to NL4, play very few hands over 20-30 tables killed it. At one point NO NL4 tables where spawning. Now thats bad for sky surely in the long term. If the people who deposit money cant get a seat on tables, then that kills the whole infastucure of the site.  I also personally think the payouts for the higher one was too low. As Smitalos said somewhere else 5 buy ins isnt worth getting out of bed for. Those games played as normal. Where as for all those who dropped to NL4, 75 Buy ins was the top prize. I finnished 9th and got 25 buy ins.  For improvements, incentives to win would be much better than just hands dealt into with rake. Maybe most hands won would be better. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    just to pick up on this point. this is an ongoing problem and isnt isolated to just the weekend the promo was running. i have flagged it up before that there seems to be a cap on the number of tables for the level. there has been many a night where ive logged on to start a session around 9pm and theres no new tables spawning. its been like this for all the time ive played there which prob spans 2 year
  • edited May 2013

The Charlotte Jackson promotion- oh dear. I think it's been disastrous. This is not a criticism of Ms.Jackson more that SkyPoker picked the wrong person to be a poker playing ambassador. She admitted after the first night she played that she was very much a hobby player who was very ring rusty so I think she was very brave to give it a go and I hope she didn't feel pressurised to say yes just because she is a Sky employee. She was the first to admit that she played very poorly and I dread to think what any new viewer to the channel was thinking. As someone who was railing the games I sat there thinking what have they done. I was glad to see the other night that her play has improved greatly.

The bottom line is that if Skypoker wanted a poker ambassador they should have gone with someone with more poker experience to publicize their site.

• edited May 2013
    My gripe with the Sky promotions is the either favour new players (obviously, and im not knocking them for wanting more players. I wish I had joined today as what I got for joining was pitiful compared to now) or the established high end players. 

The only good thing to happen to low stakes players is the reduction in points you need to gain money back. 

These cash promotions are never any good to the players that can only play a few hours at a time so many times a week.

Maybe something like a weekly raffle using PP (they are pretty useless) to buy tickets with prizes ranging from tournament entries, cash, free bets etc.
  • edited May 2013
    I've posted my thoughts on these cash promos in the 'Cash Champ' thread so I won't labour the point too much again, just to highlight that these promos whether it be raked hands or dealt hands benefit like 0.1% of players. They don't just appeal to high stakes players as some have complained of other promos in the past, but they appeal to people who can play 12+ tables and if you can't you have zero chance.

Sure he won't mind me mentioning him, but Donald was 12tabling during the last promo, put in some pretty ridic sessions in terms of time and think he came like 9th. I have no idea what he'd have had to do to win, or what kinda volume you'd have to put in to even make last place on the table, certainly something that is physically impossible for nearly all players.

Despite the fact I don't think I ever won anything (IIRC), I think the Golden Ticket promos were a great idea because they excluded no-one. It's not too tough going for anyone to earn 50 points in a day, and even if you can't earn 50 and you only earn 20, you still got 20 tickets 'in the hat'. It meant that literally 100% of players had a chance of winning as appose to these promotions where 99% of players have no chance.

RE: Golden Tickets, the only thing I would change is probably to flatten the payouts. Rather than 1 guy getting a TV, have 1st prize smaller and bigger prizes at the bottom end (or more prizes given).
  • edited May 2013
    HAVING BEEN POINTED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION BY TINTIN(THANKS TINTIN) I FEEL THE BIG DEAL PROMO ONLY BENEFITTED   THOSE PLAYERS OF A RELATIVE,LETS SAY,COMFORTABLE BANK ROLL,(IN REPLY TO TINTIN,ON 2p/4p NORM BECAME  16/20p PRE FLOP ANY RESISTANCE ON THE FLOP WAS GENERALLY GREETED WITH A BIG ENOUGH RAISE CONSTANTLY RESULTING IN AN ALL IN SCENARIO,THIS I FOUND WAS NOT "FUN POKER" (LIMITTED RELOAD,BANKROLL MANAGEMENT TO BE CONSIDERED) O K, I AM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PYRAMID (ALONG WITH MANY ON THE SITE) RE AVAILABLE "HOBBY"FUNDS BUT, THE LARGEST STRUCTURE REQUIRES A SOLID BASE. AS I TRIED TO MAKE CLEAR EARLIER (WRONG FORUM SECTION) THIS IS IN NO WAY A SLIGHT AT THE PLAYERS,BUT AT WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE SHORTSIGHTED ORGANISERS.REGARDING THE JUNE " CHAMP CASH " PROMO, US BOTTOM FEEDERS REALLY ARE IN WITH A S HOT.AS I POINTED OUT EARLIER,LOOK AFTER THE PENNIES AND THE POUNDS WILL LOOK AFTER THEMSELVES.NOTE... IREGARD MYSELF AS A PENNY.  OTHER VIEWS APPRECIATED.   THANKS AGAIN TO TINTIN.........                                               
    Posted by deej232
    Do you win more as SUEBOLO or deej232?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky poker promotions - feedback : Do you win more as SUEBOLO or deej232?
    Posted by splashies
    Lol!
  • edited May 2013
    HAVING BEEN POINTED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION BY TINTIN(THANKS TINTIN) I FEEL THE BIG DEAL PROMO ONLY BENEFITTED   THOSE PLAYERS OF A RELATIVE,LETS SAY,COMFORTABLE BANK ROLL,(IN REPLY TO TINTIN,ON 2p/4p NORM BECAME  16/20p PRE FLOP ANY RESISTANCE ON THE FLOP WAS GENERALLY GREETED WITH A BIG ENOUGH RAISE CONSTANTLY RESULTING IN AN ALL IN SCENARIO,THIS I FOUND WAS NOT "FUN POKER" (LIMITTED RELOAD,BANKROLL MANAGEMENT TO BE CONSIDERED) O K, I AM AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PYRAMID (ALONG WITH MANY ON THE SITE) RE AVAILABLE "HOBBY"FUNDS BUT, THE LARGEST STRUCTURE REQUIRES A SOLID BASE. AS I TRIED TO MAKE CLEAR EARLIER (WRONG FORUM SECTION) THIS IS IN NO WAY A SLIGHT AT THE PLAYERS,BUT AT WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE SHORTSIGHTED ORGANISERS.REGARDING THE JUNE " CHAMP CASH " PROMO, US BOTTOM FEEDERS REALLY ARE IN WITH A S HOT.AS I POINTED OUT EARLIER,LOOK AFTER THE PENNIES AND THE POUNDS WILL LOOK AFTER THEMSELVES.NOTE... IREGARD MYSELF AS A PENNY.  OTHER VIEWS APPRECIATED.   THANKS AGAIN TO TINTIN.........                                               
    Posted by deej232
    a couple of points to pick up on here.

in normal poker, people will enter the pot with a raise. so 16p is a 4 x big blind raise which is quite standard. i know new players like to call or limp into pots but that isnt a good strategy hoping to hit a hit and in the long run you will just end up burning money in the hope that 93 off suit flops a monster. if this is what consitutes "fun" poker to you than thats fine. i played a lot over that weekend and from my own viewpoint the tables were worse than you would expect but not in the way you describe. i found a whole lot more limping than i would expect to see as some were content to see a flop just to rack up a raked hand. if the hand was raised pre and didnt ssee a flop then this hand didnt count to the promo.

i agree the promo is aimed at players who have access to not only time but some greater funds than maybe a recreational depositor has but believe me its not as large a figure as some may think it would be.

also your alias doesnt match to the post that was similar to this in the top of the posts thread. hope your not multi accounting?
  • edited May 2013
    THANKS LAMBO.I DIDNT KNOW YOU WERE A DEMOLITION EXPERT (BLOW UP MERCHANT) .......BUT....MY LUV AND I ARE VERY.CLOSE....VERY,VERY CLOSE.AS ALL OF CROCKY WILL CONFIRM (SKINT, BUT CLOSE XXXXX                                  ANY ROAD UP, WHAT ABOUT THE PROMOS???????
  • edited May 2013
    Yeh, come on Paul, give the guy a break!

• edited May 2013
    The Charlotte Jackson promotion- oh dear. I think it's been disastrous. This is not a criticism of Ms.Jackson more that SkyPoker picked the wrong person to be a poker playing ambassador. She admitted after the first night she played that she was very much a hobby player who was very ring rusty so I think she was very brave to give it a go and I hope she didn't feel pressurised to say yes just because she is a Sky employee. She was the first to admit that she played very poorly and I dread to think what any new viewer to the channel was thinking. As someone who was railing the games I sat there thinking what have they done. I was glad to see the other night that her play has improved greatly.  The bottom line is that if Skypoker wanted a poker ambassador they should have gone with someone with more poker experience to publicize their site.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Massively disagree with this, Charlotte is there due to her profile eg twitter following etc. Having a poker ambassador that is great at poker with no profile would be awful from a marketing perspective!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky poker promotions - feedback : Massively disagree with this, Charlotte is there due to her profile eg twitter following etc. Having a poker ambassador that is great at poker with no profile would be awful from a marketing perspective!
    Posted by MattBates
    But the whole thing made no sense.  What % of people did the promotion do anything for? 1%? 0.1%?

Sky need to reassess their promotions as they are consistently aimed at either the newbies (fair enough) or the players on the site that play 12 hours/day+ (e.g. cash promotion).

There is very little for the average poker player on the site to get involved with RE promotions.  One exception is KOTH which I like... but they need to aim their promotions at those players that play quite often on the site, have stayed loyal, but have yet to see the benefits.  Otherwise they'l go elsewhere.
  • edited May 2013
    Yeh, come on Paul, give the guy a break!
    Posted by splashies
    THANKS SPLASHIES(FROM BOTH OF US)...
  • edited May 2013
    I think the promos should benefit the people who put in the most time and effort to win them. This also generates the most rake and I'm sure the promo more than pays for itself.  Getting 50 points for a ticket in a promotion generates zero rake and allows someone that has played 5 minutes to win rather than someone that plays 80 hours a week.

I think the rake races should run monthly and additional promos on top.  Rake races generate traffic and most sites have them.

Before people start accusing me of saying these things because I do well in them, I'd just like to add every other site I play has a rake race.  There is no doubt that the site has increased traffic over the bank holiday weekend due to the promotion.  It obvisouly worked as they are running another one so soon. 

Good on you sky!

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky poker promotions - feedback : But the whole thing made no sense.  What % of people did the promotion do anything for? 1%? 0.1%? Sky need to reassess their promotions as they are consistently aimed at either the newbies (fair enough) or the players on the site that play 12 hours/day+ (e.g. cash promotion). There is very little for the average poker player on the site to get involved with RE promotions.  One exception is KOTH which I like... but they need to aim their promotions at those players that play quite often on the site, have stayed loyal, but have yet to see the benefits.  Otherwise they'l go elsewhere.
    Posted by gazza127
    I was discussing Charlotte as poker ambassador not whether the promotion is any good.
  • edited May 2013
    Promotions should be geared to people who spend money on poker.

You get people spending money the high volume players will come.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky poker promotions - feedback : I was discussing Charlotte as poker ambassador not whether the promotion is any good.
    Posted by MattBates
    Fair enough.  I just dont think it should have been a promotion regardless.  Better spending their money on promotions that can benefit more than just the small minority of players.

I'd like to see a promotion like a HU knockout league either using PP or a buy in...  Buy in is like 2 quid or 5 quid or like 100PP.  Each player is drawn against another and the winner goes through to the next stage against another winner until theres one person standing.  Tiered cash out... the further you go in HU the more money you win.

Might be a bit complicated to set up mind... but something that is affordable to most players (or PP) where smaller BR players can compete with higher BR players for a bigger prize on a level playing field.

• edited May 2013
    Promotions should be geared to people who spend money on poker. You get people spending money the high volume players will come.
    Posted by ajs4385
    Totally agree, promotions need to help bring in new players.
    Maybe the structure in the payout reflects the need to bring in new blood to the lower limits.
    A much better rakeback percentage would be more beneficial for priority members than running these promo's.

promo's are at the moment totally geared towards people playng as much as possible on as many tables as possible.
    This totally excludes new players to the site.

Differant objective if Sky are tyring to tempt cash grinders from other sites but a better rakeback % for priority is more of an incentive.

Summary:

Reward regs with better rakeback

use the promotions to bring in new players to spend some money

"join now and if you earn X of points this month you will receive x amount extra per point"

or

"finish with the most points this month and earn a top prize of £500"

everyone can enter the promotion but is it as a tool to get new visitors

It doesn't matter how you get them in as long as you do

What the incentive to join Sky right now ? You get £10.

What's bringing in new players to play cash ?

• edited May 2013
    Any promotion where you can predict 50% of the winners in advance is a bad promotion.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky poker promotions - feedback : Massively disagree with this, Charlotte is there due to her profile eg twitter following etc. Having a poker ambassador that is great at poker with no profile would be awful from a marketing perspective!
    Posted by MattBates
    I actually meant to say that I think they could have found someone with a profile but better poker skills would have been a better choice, somehow I missed that out. Honest Matt! Maybe not quite as high profile as Charlotte but a name nontheless. As it is we can agree to disagree as I feel it has been a failure.
  • edited May 2013
    What exactly is Charlotte's profile based on? I haven't heard of her outside the Sky Poker promotion.
  • edited May 2013
    The top 5 or so in all these volume based promo's cash or otherwise could be copied and pasted from the last promo.Yes they put the volume in but if you want reward the top earners improve the priority system.
    For thousands of players on the site what incentive is there to enter the promo code?None.
    Variety is the spice of life we used to have TKO's,Pemierships The Golden Ticket and other team events that did not need 12+ tables to get involved.Yes short term volume pays but long term?Involving everyone getting them on the site playing and on the community must have long term benefits.
  • edited May 2013
    Charlotte
    seems to have been picked due to her sky following
    if she can convert them to sky poker - big win
    if not - big fail
    personally I would have thought more marketing budget thrown on Anna would have been a more cost effective way to attempt the same
    but regardless I can see the rationale, poker ability notwithstanding
    guess we will discover the end result within the next six months or so
  • edited May 2013
    Any promotion where you can predict 50% of the winners in advance is a bad promotion.
    Posted by FCHD
    +1

They just reward people who play the most hands....getting boring now. why not mix it up a bit? Have a BH promo...most heads over a specific BH tournament in a week? Most cash won in a specific mtt in a week? Most ft's in a week? Anything but a promo involving how can play the most hands!
  • edited May 2013
    I think one of the problems with Sky's promotion strategy is the haphazard nature of some of them.

By that I mean that there are too few recurring, short-period promotions which can be marketed on a long-term basis. Promotions at the moment seem to appear, take place and are then forgotten. If more were given the chance to become established, that would surely be a good idea.

There are examples which, to my mind, could clearly be used as an incentive to new players to join and keep playing if they were a constant, consistent presence. The most striking of these would seem to be the Golden Ticket promotion because new players DON'T NEED TO BE WINNING PLAYERS to benefit from the promotion. It also benefits the existing player base. If this ran with a smaller budget on a weekly or monthly basis, it could be promoted alongside the £10 tournament token, freerolls and 100% deposit bonus as a long-term incentive to new players while not excluding existing players.

Another great example would be the Battle of the Planets promotion on Stars. I'll be starting a new thread on this shortly because I'm a big believer than improving SNG traffic will improve overall Sky Poker traffic in the long-run. Again, this is a short-period, long-term promotion rewarding low volume as well as high, although it does reward performance and not participation.

So my major gripe is that these promotions don't have a constant presence. Why not make Cash Champ a regular fixture over the last week of every month, allowing it to be promoted as such? Why not have a SNG promotion that runs on a weekly basis?

I'd love to think someone from Sky will read this... but it's 9pm on a Friday so I doubt any are around.
  • edited May 2013
    Did I really see someone complaining in this thread that the new promo was too soon after the last one? Lost for words.
  • edited May 2013
    Sky was looking for a strategist recently
    maybe they haven't found one yet
  • edited June 2013
    I would second some kind of improved rakeback promotion, something similar to happy hour.

Say maybe treble the rakeback on certain days of the month. You dont need to be glued to your computer 24/7 to get something out of it.

Plus I expect more players would play on those days, so sky will not lose out on much ££.
  • edited June 2013
    As someone who usually plays the 4NL games on Sky for a couple of hours most days, the cash promo was not good for me or for sky.  Because all the tables were full up with regs from higher limits for the whole bank holiday weekend, when I had more time thanusual to play, I decided to play on another site that weekend.  So Sky lost out on my modest contribution to their rake and may have lost me as a regular player.

When designing promos like this, I think Sky need to think about the impact of them on the people that are not taking part - surely it shouldn't be putting people off playing.

I don't think I can remember any promo that Sky has run that would have incentivised me to play a bit more than usual, except for when I was near 500 points by the end of the month and so put a bit more time in to get there.
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, folks. It's great to get some firsthand feedback like this. We understand different people like different promotions etc. so it's nice to see what the community finds more popular.

Best I can do is pass this thread on to the relevant people.

Keep it coming!