You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Top Pair Good kicker/ flush draw

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Just wondering, is this a fold pre in the small blind?

On the flop i just ship it, even if im dominated, i have outs, is the shove ok?
LARSON7 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.76
MorkOfOrk Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.34
SNOOKY118 Sit out     
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • Q

yk93 Raise  £0.16 £0.22 £9.07
Reyes01 Fold     
phelper73 Call  £0.16 £0.38 £4.39
LARSON7 Call  £0.14 £0.52 £2.62
MorkOfOrk Fold     
Flop

• K

LARSON7 Check     
yk93 Bet  £0.52 £1.04 £8.55
phelper73 Fold     
LARSON7 All-in  £2.62 £3.66 £0.00
yk93 Call  £2.10 £5.76 £6.45
LARSON7 Show
  • K
  • Q

yk93 Show
  • A
  • K

Turn

• A

River

LARSON7 Win Flush to the Ace £5.32  £5.32

Comments

• edited May 2013
    not a bad hand to peel with
    not a bad flop to shove with
  • edited May 2013
    Depends on what the opponents are like for me with the preflop decision, there's room for folding, calling or 3betting all depending on what the opponents are like.

Postflop when he full pots it, I don't think he's ever folding to a shove. Similar to what TommyD said in another post...

This is essentially a semi-bluff and we can't really ever expect the villian to fold to a shove here I don't think, which means the bluff bit aint working. So once we know we're getting called, it's just about how we fair against his range, and I don't think we'll fair too well.

Against some opponents we can just call, against others it might be a fold.

P.S. You don't KNOW you have outs, if he turns up with Ac, you could be in pretty awful shape depending on his kicker.
  • edited June 2013
    Its NL4. No problems here.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Top Pair Good kicker/ flush draw:
    Depends on what the opponents are like for me with the preflop decision, there's room for folding, calling or 3betting all depending on what the opponents are like. Postflop when he full pots it, I don't think he's ever folding to a shove. Similar to what TommyD said in another post... This is essentially a semi-bluff and we can't really ever expect the villian to fold to a shove here I don't think, which means the bluff bit aint working. So once we know we're getting called, it's just about how we fair against his range, and I don't think we'll fair too well. Against some opponents we can just call, against others it might be a fold. P.S. You don't KNOW you have outs, if he turns up with Ac, you could be in pretty awful shape depending on his kicker.
    Posted by Lambert180

good points,
    but as it was not three bet pre
    and the shove is bigger I think there is more fold equity in this example
    especially as the pot bet looks like someone scared of the flush
    which the shove is repping
  • edited June 2013
    Why are we talking about semi-bluffing and fold equity when the hero has top-pair, good kicker?

When you shove it has to be because you think you'll be called by more weaker hands than stronger hands and that this is the best way to extract value. If you can call and have your opponent barrel off with the bare club draw or a Kx hand, then calling is better. (Calling is probably better for pot-control, anyway)

As it is you have to think that your shove will be called by flush draws and Kx more often than by flushes and better made hands. It might be but I don't think it's the best choice. It's not a semi-bluff if we shove, though, it's just a marginal value shove.

Pull-up to the maximum.
  • edited June 2013
    i woulda folded pre..............KQo isnt a great hand and regularly gets into trouble.

im never calling from the SB here either. raise or fold