You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

LEARNING THE GAME

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
HELLO THERE WAS WONDERING WAT THE BEST BOOKS ARE TO READ AND WHERE ONLINE TO SEE TRAINING VIDEOS MOST ONLINE VIDEOS U AVE TO PAY AND DONT REALLY WANNA PAY FOR A VIDEO UNLESS I AVE TO CHEERS

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I've been refreshing my brain with this series. Free on Utube but  MTT strategy only. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5615BAC92B3CDFE
  • edited May 2013
    forget books, they are rubbish, if your not willing to pay on a training site although i would reccomend you do then there are some really good videos by acesupmttpoker, here is one of his videos.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: LEARNING THE GAME:
    I've been refreshing my brain with this series. Free on Utube but  MTT strategy only. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF5615BAC92B3CDFE
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    CHEERS GUYS MUCH APPRECIATED
  • edited June 2013
    forget books, they are rubbish, if your not willing to pay on a training site although i would reccomend you do then there are some really good videos by acesupmttpoker, here is one of his videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQcrePl-J-I
    Posted by THEROCK573
    What a moronic generalisation.

A good poker book, is a great tool for any newbie to have as a start to their learning process. To totally disregard them, well, words fail me!

OP, I will pm you some details of this book that I have found very good.
  • edited June 2013
    Yeah Gripsed (1st comment vids) is run by a high stakes cash player and his vids are decent quality. Nearly all his vids are based @ beginners so they'll be brilliant for you and the guy who makes most of them pretty funny and easy to learn from
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: LEARNING THE GAME : What a moronic generalisation. A good poker book, is a great tool for any newbie to have as a start to their learning process. To totally disregard them, well, words fail me! OP, I will pm you some details of this book that I have found very good.
    Posted by calcalfold[/QUOTE

not really moronic, its my opinion,ive read many poker books and to be honest there so outdated its unreal. and its much easier to learn by watching videos rather than reading about poker half of which is incorrect in todays game i might add.  what you reading at the minute poker for plonkers?? heard its a best seller.
  • edited June 2013
    Books aren't outdated as such because there are new poker books being released regularly! and by good players too!

books aren't needed because there is plentiful information on forums - more advanced too probably
  • edited June 2013
    Books aren't outdated as such because there are new poker books being released regularly! and by good players too! books aren't needed because there is plentiful information on forums - more advanced too probably
    Posted by percival09
    well all the books ive read are outdated, my books are rubbish comment was in comparison to training videos, i wasnt saying that every single book on the market was garbage like the king of micros is suggesting.
  • edited June 2013

What are you even on about "outdated"?

Explanation of various plays, ranges, equity, odds etc dont get outdated. They are what they are.

I have no idea what you think you are on about.

A sensible approach would be to use all the tools at your disposal, to include Books, forums, hand history reviews, videos etc etc.

• edited June 2013
    lol but now you're the one being smart by saying books are outdated for sure

very hypocritical thread

we are in the 21st century is a lol argument

books are useful, as are forums/training vids etc it just depends what the most effective way for you to learn is
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: LEARNING THE GAME : no a sensible approach would be just to sign up to a training site , we are in the the 21st century, and also stop being so smart all the time, you no exactly what outdated means. you think nobody else is allowed to have an opinion and that your view is correct all the time, the books ive read have not been very good, this is a fact . now this is the last time il ever reply to you because i think your a cocky little xxxx who needs a good slap.
    Posted by THEROCK573

Rock,

No need to get so heated dude.

When I see a post something like the above its just gives the impression that the poster lacks the intelligence and or skills needed to have a reasoned debate. They then get defensive and lash out as that is the only mechanism they have left. Im sure this isnt the case with you, but its the vibe that you are giving out.

Perhaps it too much time spent watching "gangster rap" films innit :)

I am not disagreeing that forums and training sites are useful. but books totally have their place.

Please explain to me why reading about fold equity/hand ranges/implied odds et all in books is outdated? I am not asking this because I am "cocky" or any of the othe lovely things you said about me. I just want to try and understand your point as it may be valid, but I need to understand it before I can take it on board.

Best

ccf