You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

silly question but here goes big blinds on cash tables

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
How about normal cash tables having 200 bb starting stack instead of 100bb 

and mastercash tables 400 bb instead of 200 bb i like super deep cash games :)

Comments

• edited June 2013
    super deep zzzzzz
  • edited June 2013
    Agree

Play cash live  and mostly games will have a 200bb buy in. Far more play.
    Much better than every 3bet hand preflop becoming all in on the flop.
  • edited June 2013
    Your just going to end up with the nitty players getting even tighter as they know they can win bigger pots when they do hit big. Less need to steal blinds etc.

I think the blind and stack structure is just fine as it is.
  • edited June 2013

it's not a bad idea Steve.

but would new players want to be sitting with £8 on nl4 tables?
    I know I wouldn't.
    and would nl10 players want to be sitting with £20 on every table?
    I know I wouldn't.
    obviously each player would have the choice as to how much to sit down with,but if 2-3 players were sitting with the max then wouldn't you also need to be doing the same,or risk playing at a disadvantage?

I think they are just fine as they are.

couldn't sky introduce 400bb deep stack tables as an extra to what we already have, for those wishing to play 'deep stack' poker?

:)
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: silly question but here goes big blinds on cash tables:
    it's not a bad idea Steve. but would new players want to be sitting with £8 on nl4 tables? I know I wouldn't. and would nl10 players want to be sitting with £20 on every table? I know I wouldn't. obviously each player would have the choice as to how much to sit down with,but if 2-3 players were sitting with the max then wouldn't you also need to be doing the same,or risk playing at a disadvantage? I think they are just fine as they are. couldn't sky introduce 400bb deep stack tables as an extra to what we already have, for those wishing to play 'deep stack' poker? :) dev
    Posted by devonfish5
    What disadvantage?
  • edited June 2013
    As long as they don't increase the mininum sit down (again) I'd have no problem with increasing the maximum
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: silly question but here goes big blinds on cash tables : What disadvantage?
    Posted by HiJoker
    the disadvantage of only sitting with 200bb (the amount you have always played with) against someone now sitting with twice your stack,ie;the proposed 400 bb's
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: silly question but here goes big blinds on cash tables : the disadvantage of only sitting with 200bb (the amount you have always played with) against someone now sitting with twice your stack,ie;the proposed 400 bb's
    Posted by devonfish5
    In any form of poker the effective stack is all that matters. If you are in a tournament with 15xBB, it doesn't really matter if you're opponent has 1000xBB because you should be playing the way you would with 15xBB and against you, he should be playing the way he would if he had 15xBB too.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: silly question but here goes big blinds on cash tables : In any form of poker the effective stack is all that matters. If you are in a tournament with 15xBB, it doesn't really matter if you're opponent has 1000xBB because you should be playing the way you would with 15xBB and against you, he should be playing the way he would if he had 15xBB too.
    Posted by Lambert180
    This.

Also, I think 100bb is fine. You have Deep & MC tables if you want to play 200bb+ vs everyone.

All you have to do is observe any game at any stakes, to see that recreational players like to buy-in a lot shorter than the average buy-in for a reg, and some people, recs and regs alike still min buy-in for 30bb at the cash tables. There was an uproar when the min BI went from 20bb to 30bb (which I still think was an iffy decision tbh), so imagine what it would be like if we increased it even further.
    UberDeep stacked poker is very intimidating for the average player, and even if a rec were to sit down with as much as 100bb at a 200bb max table, like OP is suggesting, it can be offputting and make them feel uncomfortable, out of their depth.
    100bb poker in NLHE still leaves a tonne of room for play, not to mention the times when people double through each other for deeper stacks. A typical hand could involve a 3bet, cbet, turn bet, river shove, i.e. enough room for stacks to go in quite easily every time there's a 3bet pot. Unless they were Cash Games with antes, I see no benefit to recreational players whatsoever in increasing the max to 200bb. (as ante games usually make for much bigger pots and can attract alot of gamblers etc)

As far as buy-in amounts go, nothing needs to, or should be changed, for these reasons imo.