You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Poor Play

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
How can you go from being quite successful to being rubbish. pulled it back a bit lately, but Saturday is was awful. Does this happen to everyone?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    It can certainly happen from time to time, definitely has to me and doesn't mean you have become a poor player over night, more likely its the general effects of varience and you just need to stick with it. 

I would also help to have a look at your hand histories, see where you are losing pots and whether it is general leaks in your game or if luck has been against you. 

I always find a few days off help me as well, especially if you are not enjoying it as more often than not if your not enjoying the game you are not playing your best and you will lose money. 

Hope that helps 

Andy 
  • edited June 2013
    Yep.  Been there many a time.

I think it happened to me initially because of a bit of variance... then I started believing that my game was poor so I changed... then I lost even more because I wasn't playing the right strategies that were winning me money before I got a kicking from variance.  I hit this negative loop.

Way I got out of it was my taking a break and forgetting the money I had lost.

Think its about separating yourself from the money aspect... reviewing your hands and asking yourself regardless if you won the hand or not whether you played it correctly.  Only then can you find out if its variance, bad play or a bit of both.

• edited June 2013

I think the clue to this is in your question, you say Saturday was awful, if you're questioning your whole game based on one days bad results, it tells me you're probably not looking at anywhere near a big enough sample size to draw any meaningful conclusions. 

Looking at your Sharkscope graph seems to back this up, you've played less than 100 games on the site.  It also looks like you had a couple of decent wins and then jumped into playing bigger games so losing big chunks each time and on the Saturday you played what looks like it was a £50.00 buyin which I imagine was a sizeable chunk of your bankroll?

The simple and short answer to your question is, no you can't become a bad player overnight.

But....... You cannot expect to win every time, that's just not how poker works, particularly Multi-Table tournaments, if you cash in one out of ten you're doing very well and one out of five would be pretty exceptional.

Also and critically, a little success does not necessarily make you a good or 'winning' player, this can only be measured over the long term by which we're talking 1000's of games ideally.

It's very easy to have a couple of wins and think we're the next Phil Ivey and get carried away by that over-confidence.

The best advice I can give is read up on good bankroll management and go through your hand histories and be painfully critical of where you made mistakes and work on plugging the leaks.