You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Just a thought

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
There have been so many threads criticising Free Rolls / Cash for points lately
And so much made about the importance of encouraging new business.

Why not for one month of the year, instead of reward points. Have a series of tournaments
run for seven consecutive days (because then there would be no excuse for not playing) using the cash that would have been paid in rewards used as prize money for the purse?

If half the cash was used to fund seven tournaments players could choose the night they wanted to take part
and the top twenty in each event could take part in a high roller event for the other half of the cash.

To reward loyalty. One chip could be awarded for each loyalty point earned. So whether you are an occasional recreational player or a high level grinder your allotment of chips is proportional to your contribution to the site.

If the month was kept secret until halfway through the month it wouldn't affect volume detrimentally but with potentially the biggest prize in Sky poker history it could attract the new customers the site needs to evolve!

I know some players grind for a living but surely a tournament like this for just one month a year could be a life changer. The grinders would have a chip advantage and if they are as good as some tell us on the forum, it would be easy money.

Its ony a thought but I'd be intersested in comments because i'm sure better suggestions will be posted on this thread. 

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Just a thought:
    There have been so many threads criticising Free Rolls / Cash for points lately And so much made about the importance of encouraging new business. Why not for one month of the year, instead of reward points. Have a series of tournaments run for seven consecutive days (because then there would be no excuse for not playing) using the cash that would have been paid in rewards used as prize money for the purse? If half the cash was used to fund seven tournaments players could choose the night they wanted to take part and the top twenty in each event could take part in a high roller event for the other half of the cash. To reward loyalty. One chip could be awarded for each loyalty point earned. So whether you are an occasional recreational player or a high level grinder your allotment of chips is proportional to your contribution to the site. If the month was kept secret until halfway through the month it wouldn't affect volume detrimentally but with potentially the biggest prize in Sky poker history it could attract the new customers the site needs to evolve! I know some players grind for a living but surely a tournament like this for just one month a year could be a life changer. The grinders would have a chip advantage and if they are as good as some tell us on the forum, it would be easy money. Its ony a thought but I'd be intersested in comments because i'm sure better suggestions will be posted on this thread. 
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    i dont dislike the idea but i'm assuming new players have no chance of winning this big prize (because they had no poker points the month before because they had no account) so therefore this tournament wont be a big reason to join the site.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Just a thought:
    In Response to Just a thought : i dont dislike the idea but i'm assuming new players have no chance of winning this big prize (because they had no poker points the month before because they had no account) so therefore this tournament wont be a big reason to join the site.
    Posted by huuuuume
    With the free tournament tokens and the 200% cash match, if the tournament was publicised, new players could have a great chance of doing well
    The new loyalty scheme takes points down to zero at the start of the month. If they've played on other sites the chance of taking down a mega tournament doing what they do already could be a massive incentive to join Sky poker and play more.
    Which would bring more money for regulars to compete for. Hopefully it would increase numbers for regular MTT's once again -improving payouts.
    That would be my take on it
    (Obviously only the points earned in the month of the tournament would count for chip stacks)
  • edited June 2013

Has the £10000 freeroll gone for new players

• edited June 2013
    If I wanted to play an MTT I would, but I dont.

Will keep the cash from points please.

Plus hardly fair as all people no matter how many points they earnt will get a shot at the top prize.

If it was an opt in idea that cost say £10 worth of points, thats fair enough, but it should never be compulsary.
  • edited June 2013
    If I wanted to play an MTT I would, but I dont. Will keep the cash from points please. Plus hardly fair as all people no matter how many points they earnt will get a shot at the top prize. If it was an opt in idea that cost say £10 worth of points, thats fair enough, but it should never be compulsary.
    Posted by calcalfold
    Cash for points is a concession, which theoretically could be withdrawn at any time.
    Some of us contribute to the site, and may prefer a tournament as opposed to Cash for Points once in a while.
    We dont deposit cash to fund grinders, we deposit to play poker!

If chips were allocated in the same way as C4P, grinders would have a significant advantage and if a recreational player did win, it would bring much needed publicity to the site.

As has been said many times before, there are fewer players contributing to the site and without an influx your C4P will diminish anyway

A Mega tournament based on loyalty might bring increased volume therefore greater C4P in the long run.

• edited June 2013
    I dont think my 2000ish has any chance of competeing v someoe with 60,000 im happy with my £20 
  • edited June 2013
    I think this is a good idea, obviously some fine tuning of the details are needed but the foundations are good.

Think a cap would be needed on stacks, say if you earn 500 points then you 1000 chips (and this is the minimum you can start with) cos anything less would be silly and there's a max of say 15,000 starting stack regardless of points earned cos it would ruin it imo if some sickos start with like 100,000 stack and everyone else has 5k or w/e

As the OP said, some people forget that C4P is not a wage and is not anyone's right. The reward scheme should always be aimed predominantly at the players at the bottom of the pyramid.
  • edited June 2013
    I dont think my 2000ish has any chance of competeing v someoe with 60,000 im happy with my £20 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Ypur £20 would be safe 11 months of the year so long as c4p is still running
    I was only suggesting that 1 single month a year we had an alternative reward.
    As Lambert said, it could be capped, and players with less than say 1,000 points would have to play in a heat first to qualify.

Or maybe for one month of the year they could set up special hu, dym, cash tables and mtts where the percentage that normally goes into reward points could go directly into a prizepool for the tournament.
    Then players would have the choice of taking part or not.