You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flop the nuts, check or bet? OOP

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Had an interesting discussion earlier!

You flop the nuts, would you check it for deception or just bet to build the pot?

I checked to let the opponent improve. Pretty similiar to a previous thread with devonfish, when he checked his 9s.
lonesome Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £10.01
Beaders10 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £4.08
  Your hole cards
  • A

elamigo Fold     
jonah54 Fold     
LARSON7 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £2.96
KKKKGHFH55 Call  £0.12 £0.30 £3.38
lonesome Fold     
Beaders10 Fold     
Flop

LARSON7 Check

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I definitely bet.

Yes you might let him catch up, but you also might let a really scary turn card come down that stops him putting a penny into the pot. Lots of draws he will pay to see, and obv if he has like sets and 2prs, he'll prob try to get it in now  cos of how wet it is.
  • edited June 2013
    You know my views on this lol glad you posted it though- as i said before i want to build a pot to play for stacks on the river, so many hands will call a cbet so we can start to get some value/build pot i.e 1 diamond draws, straight draws- sets will probably raise, two pair hands etc etc, the fact we have only put 15p in postflop by the time we get to the river is not preferable if we are not being results oriented.
  • edited June 2013
    You can't rely on the villain putting a bet in behind you.  The only way to charge him for more cards/make him pay for the cards he has is by betting.
  • edited June 2013
    Bet bet bet. Then ship it.
  • edited June 2013
    As above: Bet to build the pot and because you're expected to c-bet. Don't expect your opponent to bet if you check because you can't assume that he will. Oh, one more thing...

Pull up to the maximum!!

lol
  • edited June 2013
    aghhhh hate that u are even asking this question Henrik.

100% bet!!!!

It really is an easy game at this level!
  • edited June 2013
    gotta bet moniez to get moniez!
  • edited June 2013
    Not technically the nuts, 56 of diamonds is ;)
  • edited June 2013
    Its nl4 just frickin bet it. 

On another thread you have a flush and say you should fld it. On this thread you pretty much have the nuts and you talk of checking it. Its not how to win at nl4. It really is as simple as getting a good hand and betting 3 streets for value.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Flop the nuts, check or bet? OOP:
    Had an interesting discussion earlier! You flop the nuts, would you check it for deception or just bet to build the pot? I checked to let the opponent improve. Pretty similiar to a previous thread with devonfish, when he checked his 9s. lonesome Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £10.01 Beaders10 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.08   Your hole cards 10 A       elamigo Fold         jonah54 Fold         LARSON7 Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £2.96 KKKKGHFH55 Call   £0.12 £0.30 £3.38 lonesome Fold         Beaders10 Fold         Flop     7 9 8       LARSON7 Check
    Posted by LARSON7

Always C/betting after a raise...build pot and make the villian pay for each card..if he's flopped the k flush..it's all the way to the bank..you also have the str flush draw...defo agree with everyone here..its bet all the way..if he folds..he folds...
  • edited June 2013
    Ok thanks!

Just so gutting when they fold
  • edited June 2013

I checked my 99 hand as you know,but diference was my opponent had already raised p/flop, so I thought he had a reasonable hand,and with 2 streets left felt I would get his stack.(or lose that amount obviously)
    I was told by just about everyone that it was a mistake to check flop,and I said I would bet 1/2 pot next time.
    like you say you don't want to lose customer,but a 1/2 pot here would be better than the check.
    it's easier said than done though,isn't it....I know that more than anyone.  lol
    oh yeah,as borin says pull up to the max... every time you drop below it,and do it before the next hand is dealt.
    :)
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    bet, bet, bet......
  • edited June 2013
    Having seen the way you play earlier id suggest you stop calling raises out of pos with rag aces or k 10 they will get you in lots of trouble mate.Regards the above hand its simple...BET...........BET........BET.......
  • edited June 2013
    It's brutal you bet and every1 folds
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    tosca21 Small blind £0.02 £0.02 £3.01
    jokev10 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.76
      Your hole cards
    • A

bentley12 Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £4.21
    billy974 Fold     
    tosca21 Call  £0.10 £0.28 £2.91
    jokev10 Call  £0.08 £0.36 £3.68
    Flop

• Q

tosca21 Check     
    jokev10 Check     
    LARSON7 Bet  £0.27 £0.63 £3.94
    tosca21 Fold     
    jokev10 Fold     
    LARSON7 Muck     
    LARSON7 Win  £0.33  
  • edited June 2013
    unlucky mate,

it's unfortunate that no one has got a piece of this flop by the looks of it.
    but you have done the right thing in betting to build pot.
    if someone had 2 hearts or a q or trips or 2 pair,you would be getting a call.
    I prefer a 1/2 pot bet though,or just a click over maybe.
    keep doing it mate as every good player(not me obviously. lol) says you should,every time.
    just bad luck this time.
    :)
    dev
  • edited June 2013
    its 4 nl...bet
  • edited June 2013
    If you dont bet and suddenly start c/r on turn or river just smells awful alot like what you have.

Bet for value this flop hits a ton of his range too.
  • edited June 2013

Yeah agree with everyone else. We really should be betting here for all the reasons stated above.

As for how much to bet, we want to get stacks in by the river so if you take a little time to work out in the above hand how much you need to bet on the flop and turn to set up a pot bet river shove it will help you in future hands to get maximum value. This is something a lot at 4nl never think about but it’s vital to squeezing every last penny out of your opponent.

This is 4nl and with the amount of people that love to call it’s easier to get the stacks in so sizing becomes really important.

But the first step is to bet and don’t worry if they fold. It happens. The value you get from betting in other hands will make up for the times they fold.