You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flop flush, facing shove on river after overbet

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I raise with suited connectors, get one caller and flop a flush, oppo was a fish and is known for chasing draws at any price and calling down light so after calling 2 streets i put him on a higher flush draw but after i overbet the river, he shoves over the top on a double paired board, should i call? Only hands i thought he could have that beat me was pocket queens or a slowplayed higher flush than mine.

Seat 1: turboleo99 ($1.71 in chips)
Seat 3: Gr3nF1sH ($1.33 in chips)
Seat 5: Hero ($8.10 in chips)
Seat 6: WINPLANET ($0.83 in chips)
Seat 8: LorAAndMS ($14.55 in chips)
Seat 10: fcbn1 ($2.63 in chips)

fcbn1: SB $0.02
turboleo99: BB $0.05

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [7d 8d]

Gr3nF1sH: Fold
Hero: Raise To $0.15
WINPLANET: Fold
LorAAndMS: Call $0.15
fcbn1: Fold
turboleo99: Fold

*** FLOP *** [2d 3d 4d]

Hero: Bet $0.20
LorAAndMS: Call $0.20

*** TURN *** [2s]
Hero: Bet $0.60
LorAAndMS: Call $0.60

*** RIVER *** [Qs]
Hero: Bet $2.50
LorAAndMS: Raise To $13.60 and is all in
Hero: ???

I think i should have bet smaller on the river rather than the overbet to be honest as i didn't have the nuts.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    If our opponent is known to chase draws, then we should definitely be betting bigger on the flop and turn.

The overbet on the river should definitely narrow our range a lot, so when he raises we ought to be pretty convinced that our 8-high flush is no good. There aren't even many flushes we're beating. What hands did you hope he would call this overbet with, though? If he had a draw that he missed, he obviously folds. Does he play an overpair like this?

After he fails to 3-bet pre-flop why are we thinking he might have QQ?

Bet bigger on the flop and turn and bet a less polarizing amount on the river. As it is I don't think we can call unless we think he's turning missed draws into bluffs often. Have you seen this before? It seems very unlikely that he's value-raising with worse hands.

It's not a double-paired board, btw. Also, we shouldn't only overbet when we have the nuts as that's going to be very transparent. If you plan to overbet, you should do it because it can be called by more hands you beat than hands that beat you. You should also do it as a bluff occasionally if you're going to overbet at all.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Flop flush, facing shove on river after overbet:
    If our opponent is known to chase draws, then we should definitely be betting bigger on the flop and turn. The overbet on the river should definitely narrow our range a lot, so when he raises we ought to be pretty convinced that our 8-high flush is no good. There aren't even many flushes we're beating. What hands did you hope he would call this overbet with, though? If he had a draw that he missed, he obviously folds. Does he play an overpair like this? After he fails to 3-bet pre-flop why are we thinking he might have QQ? Bet bigger on the flop and turn and bet a less polarizing amount on the river. As it is I don't think we can call unless we think he's turning missed draws into bluffs often. Have you seen this before? It seems very unlikely that he's value-raising with worse hands. It's not a double-paired board, btw. Also, we shouldn't only overbet when we have the nuts as that's going to be very transparent. If you plan to overbet, you should do it because it can be called by more hands you beat than hands that beat you. You should also do it as a bluff occasionally if you're going to overbet at all.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Yeah thats why i said i shouldn't have overbet the river in the first place, I don't think he was ever going to call with worse, so straight after i did it i knew i made a mistake lol. I do overbet as a bluff occasionally as well, it seems to work every time.

I have seen him just call a raise pre-flop with a big pocket pair before so it was a possibility he had an overpair like QQ, and limp/raise as well (but the time he limp raised with KK, i had AA)

How much should i be betting on the flop and turn then? Full pot?

That is like the 3rd time i've said a double paired board when it's just a paired board.. what am i like haha.