You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Standard pre flop decision when everyone is roughly 100bb deep

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Right so situation came up earlier on a table when i had a opened then faced a 3bet and a flat in front, just wanted to check that its completly standard to flat with these stack sizes with a pair, in this case 9s but am i right in assuming it would be ok with any pair from 2s-9s up essentially looking to set mine and not overplaying just the one pair? also if the other player doesn't flat here i was weighing towards a fold is that wrong the 3bet is fairly large and from a tight player in the sb so giving them alot of credit and im not sure if set mining against one oppo in this spot is the right play?  the fact both players were in made it alot easier to call to set mine pre.
x
Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.94
lhawk1991 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £7.49
  Your hole cards

x
Call   £0.10 £0.25 £9.38
lovejoy61 Fold        
pepo Fold        
benc
Raise   £0.40 £0.65 £14.68
x
Raise   £1.70 £2.35 £8.24
lhawk1991 Fold        
x
Call   £1.65 £4.00 £7.73
benc Call   £1.35 £5.35 £13.33

Comments

• edited June 2013

If 2nd player 4 bets, easy fold.

Ideal stacks for set mining, as long as we are confident can stack opponent with there aces kings queens when we hit our set. 

8-1 to hit our set. Someone mentioned before as long as they are about 70 bigs behind we have the implied odds to make the call.

• edited June 2013
    Yep i agree, how about if limper folds do we still  to set mine against the 1 oppo with all pairs 2s-9s, i'm trying to gain a perspective on the situation rather than this specific hand.
  • edited June 2013

If you reckon it's a tight player and has a very narrow range here/ big pairs/ AK maybe AQ

And will call off with say Aces Kings on a 9/10 high board. For sure.

I wouldn't be mad keen on calling with 2-6's but i suppose it is the same principal.

• edited June 2013

when the person in the SB does a raise we can't guarantee that he is ahead for sure I wouldn't rule out the chance that he could be holding AQo  AKo or KQs AJs if the flop then came 8high It might be ok to make a call because with hands such as AK knowing he gets called on the flop the chances are he will start putting you on 1010 JJ or a set so I couldn't see him betting the turn too unless he has a flush draw too.

• edited June 2013
    2nd x has a vvvvvv strong range which is gr8 for us, the other x's range is full of kak which is bad for us. 

But weak range x will probably overplay hands post flop, (good for us). He's probably set mining quite often too, but also will have suited broadways and maybe some suited Ax also, so the boards like A9x where we might struggle to get value post flop v just the tight range (when he has KK/QQ) will sometimes still get us action from the fish in the middle.

The cold 3b is quite big, due to us having to 4x over the limp, it's probbbbably too expensive to set mine? Technically. Mathamatically? Idk. 

I wudnt be folding though. 

We have position v a nutted range in the hands of a TAG who's first to act post flop, and what looks like a range that will sometimes flop well (in the eyes of a loose passive player) in the hands of a loose passive player. 

:)

• edited June 2013
    If you can only win by set-mining then the minimum you need to be able to win to break even is 7.5x the amount of the call. Here, we're being asked to call £1.35 so we need to be able to win £10.13 just to break even.

That's the amount we need to win on average in the long-run just to break even if we win every time we hit our set. Unfortunately there will be times when we hit our set and lose or hit our set and don't get paid enough, so in truth you need to be able to win considerably more than 7.5x the amount of the call in order to set-mine profitably. The closer to that 7.5x number you get, the more certain you have to be that you will get paid every time and have the best hand every time.

So here, we can win the £4 in the pot already, plus a maximum of £8.24 from either one of our opponents (The 3-better). So if the third player doesn't put another penny in post-flop, the most we can win if we always win when we hit our set is £12.24 (less the rake). That's just 9x the amount of the pre-flop call.

That 9x is just not enough because you simply can't be sure you'll get it all every single time you hit your set. You also can't be sure you'll win every time you hit your set.

You can't really factor the third player's stack into your implied odds because players tend not to stack off three-handed in 3-bet pots without good equity. So it's unlikely that you'll get both of the other players to put significantly more in post-flop and when they do, you'll frequently find that one of them at least has good equity against your set with a big draw of some kind.

Basically, if you can only win this pot by hitting your set, you don't have the implied odds to call the pre-flop 3-bet.
  • edited June 2013
    ip with good implied odds 3way makes this a call imo yes

if things are shallower we can just fold, or if it's just hu or w/e we'll have to make a tougher decision based on the guy who 3bet. 
  • edited June 2013
    I've run some numbers on our implied odds on the bigger stack:

If we get all-in on the flop versus the bigger stack with no more money from the third player, the pot will be £21.83. The maximum rake at NL10 is £1.60, I think at 7.5% so we lose £1.60 from this pot. Now it's £20.23.

If we assume that the best scenario for getting it in on the flop is against an overpair, we'll have roughly 91% equity. So £18.41 of the pot at that stage is "ours". Take our own stake away, from the point before we call pre-flop (£9.59), and we make a profit of £8.82.

That is if we always get the lot.

Our minimum break even is £10.13, so we can see that set-mining against the 3-better is -EV. We'd need to add a minimum of £1.31 in dead money from the third player just to make it up to our break even point.

All three stacks going in the middle is pretty unlikely but even if we get that, our equity is likely to be lower than 91% so we can't just say "add the third stack" to our implied odds.

I think those numbers are right but it's late so I might be messing something up. Check my figures:

4 + 1.35 + 8.24 +8.24 = 21.83

21.83 - 1.6 = 20.23

20.23 x 0.91 = 18.41

18.41 - 9.59 = 8.82

If those numbers are right, it seems impossible for this to be a +EV set-mine in the long-run.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Standard pre flop decision when everyone is roughly 100bb deep:
    If 2nd player 4 bets, easy fold. Ideal stacks for set mining, as long as we are confident can stack opponent with there aces kings queens when we hit our set.  8-1 to hit our set. Someone mentioned before as long as they are about 70 bigs behind we have the implied odds to make the call.
    Posted by LARSON7
    This isn't right. We need to have a minimum of 7.5x the bet we're facing if we're purely set-mining. This is because we miss 7.5 times for every time we hit. So if we're being asked to call 10BB and can only win 70BB, that's a losing call if need to hit the set to win, since we'll lose 75BB for every chance we have to win 70BB.

Even then, 7.5x is only enough to break even if our set has 100% equity (which it won't), we're 100% certain to always get all the money in (which we won't be) and there's no rake.
  • edited June 2013
    it's a fold pre

u call here your burning money

• edited June 2013
    This is v common and something I always wonder too - should I be calling? Borinloners post is great as always and helps clarify the situation for me. We are not only winning if we hit our set surely? We can win on low boards sometimes or funky draws. Does this not make it closer to a call?
  • edited June 2013
    I agree with all the posts here are saying more or less the same thing..pot odds...equity..and calling this an easy fold pre/flop... But I would honestly like to know if anyone is really goin to fold any pair pre..and NOT see a flop..with hind sight, you could say 'Yes, I should have folded'...., and players will call these 3 bets with any pair and fold the flop if they don't set or the flop comes down big.....I was told when I first started this game..if you can't beat the board...fold..but preflop??..we have only a guess the villian has 3 bet us with a monster starting hand...it could be an over bet on a small pair...also..it's standard practice to raise on the button with any half decent hand or try and steal the blinds...whats to say he's not calling your 'bluff'...
    What was the outcome anyway?
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks for the feedback, i discussed this with a friend at the time and realised it was a situation i wasn't sure about, i thought i should be calling mulitway but not against just the one 3betting oppo, but obviously i wanted to be  making sure that automatic thought process is correct which i now realise wasn't (thanks borinloner for running the numbers it took a couple of reads). Thanks for the responses, the result doesn't matter in this particular situation, but i will post it as it re-affirmed my thoughts that the 3betting oppo is always mega strong here so i'm always essentially set mining.
    benc Call   £1.35 £5.35 £13.33
    Flop

x
    Bet   £3.00 £8.35 £5.24
    z
    Fold        
    benc Raise   £6.30 £14.65 £7.03
    x
    All-in   £5.24 £19.89 £0.00
    benc Call   £1.94 £21.83 £5.09
    x
    Show
    • K
    • K

benc Show

Turn

• Q

River

• A

benc Win Three 9s £20.43   £25.52
  • edited June 2013
    ok so my veiw is that in general 'set mining' in a 3bet pot this deep is bad..
    this is because - we flop a set and dont get paid
          - flop a set and still lose 
          - even some cases (rare) flop a set and have to fold
    we all know this bla bla bla but goin back to the original questions- is this a standard call- can we set mine here?

imo thinking WE HAVE to set mine here is incorect

the definition of set mining for me is playin fit/fold- if you dont hit you dont play and jus fold- i sometimes may do this here with smaller pairs dependant on reads. but we have a strong hand IP so doin calcs on a pure set mine is pointless. given dynamics id happily call 88-JJ and  play poker IP - ppl are not only 3b KK/AA..
    im not always callin but im when i do its not a pure set mine.!!
  • edited June 2013
    Yep in this specific situation oppo is a tight reg whose sb 3betting range is AA-KK-QQ-JJ-AK and maybe even AK is debateable so we are crushed if we are wanting to play poker ip so i have to assume i'm always set mining with 10s and below here, with some opponents i agree we can call and play some poker.
  • edited June 2013
    thats fine then jus reads wernt added but it was auto assumed that we set mine with anypair.
    jus gettin the point that i belive callin juss to set mine in every given situation is wrong

plus u asked for a perspective on the situation rather than this specific hand.
  • edited June 2013
    Yep sorry should of added more info about oppo in opening post, thanks for the feedback.
  • edited June 2013
    benc pm sent - study hard )
  • edited June 2013
    What you doing if flop comes 332 and he cbets? just fold? you just playing to set mine?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Standard pre flop decision when everyone is roughly 100bb deep:
    it's a fold pre u call here your burning money
    Posted by rancid
    Halle-freakin-lujuah!! We have a winner, ladies and gents! LnarinOO gets the assist, a couple of infractions but v.solid as per.

Took about 15 posters itt, but we got there boys. nh wp gg.
  • edited June 2013
    What you doing if flop comes 332 and he cbets? just fold? you just playing to set mine?
    Posted by BigHawk89
    Against this opponent yep i would lay it down on that kind of flop, i know its nitty but against this type of opponent they just bash pot and i have come to realise i can't level myself and just call them down or get it in on flops like that. I'm still very much a work in progress and obviously with nl10 being filled with nitregs who just sit and wait for big pairs and pot pot pot  i have to adapt to that, this was a situation which i was clueless about and thats why i posted. I'm well aware that we are not always set mining i just wanted to find out whether i should or shouldn't be set mining with stack sizes with very solid reads that oppo will be very strong here.
  • edited June 2013
    Got your pm Rancid, will read up on that concept thanks.
  • edited June 2013
    ok so my veiw is that in general 'set mining' in a 3bet pot this deep is bad.. this is because - we flop a set and dont get paid       - flop a set and still lose        - even some cases (rare) flop a set and have to fold we all know this bla bla bla but goin back to the original questions- is this a standard cal l- can we set mine here? imo thinking WE HAVE to set mine here is incorect the definition of set mining for me is playin fit/fold- if you dont hit you dont play and jus fold- i sometimes may do this here with smaller pairs dependant on reads. but we have a strong hand IP so doin calcs on a pure set mine is pointless. given dynamics id happily call 88-JJ and  play poker IP - ppl are not only 3b KK/AA.. im not always callin but im when i do its not a pure set mine.!!
    Posted by LnarinOO
    Well, the question was asked:

"...am i right in assuming it would be ok with any pair from 2s-9s up essentially looking to set mine and not overplaying just the one pair?"

The answer to that question is "No, it's not okay to set-mine here". It's tough to prove that without working out the implied odds for set-mining. Nobody is suggesting we should always be set-mining pocket pairs.

Whether we can call for value with history on the 3-better is another question. Heads-up, we could definitely call for value if we give him a wide 3-bet range. However, this 3-bet is pretty huge and we'll be playing a 54BB pot against two opponents knowing we're going to see at least one overcard to our 99 about 80% of the time. In that context, against the two ranges and an effective stack of 82BB, 99 would seem to be a marginal hand.

It would be nice to have answers to questions like "Does the 3-better c-bet wide OOP three-handed?" and "Does the limp-caller play face-up post-flop?".

Of course with reads we can play in position and trust ourselves to make good decisions. Even then we'll probably make the wrong decision plenty of times. Without reads we should probably assume that the 3-better doesn't have a super-wide range and just fold.