You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Suited connectors and gappers

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Why does everyone seem to think these hands aren't profitable to play? Especially one gappers like 5,7 or 9,7 suited, they can make a very disguised straight, 2pr etc. I mean fair enough, if i'm in early position then i will fold them, but hijack+ i will always open for a raise, and if i'm in the blinds facing a raise from late position, i will 3bet them. They are good hands to crack big pocket pairs with, so obviously we have great implied odds with those sorts of hands.

These hands have been the most profitable for me, not to mention the most fun to play (that is irrelevant i know, but i wouldn't play if i wasn't having fun lol)

I'm confident i can outplay most people post flop, does that have to be something you need in order to play those hands?

Maybe its just me, its my style of play i guess haha.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Great in multi way pots. Great in position with just the one/maybe 2 oppo. Great when deep stacked in a tourney/cash table. 

Difficult to play out of position. Difficult to play in latter stages of tournaments. And its like a slap in the chops when you flop some kind of monster straight and flush combo draw, happy to pile the chips/money in and....brick brick. 
  • edited June 2013
    Agree skeg. Deffo have to be deep stacked to get the most of them though. Just make sure the effective stack is big enough to obtain the implied odds needed to mess about with them.
  • edited June 2013
    Who said suited connectors and suited gappers aren't profitable to play?
  • edited June 2013
    Hi S,
    Imo play if you're deep stacked by all means but short stacked not really. Certain hands are much more profitable in certain positions and for certain stack sizes. Being a good post flop player will help too. 
     SC's and gappers are always nice to hit as they tend to be disguised. Its 'rub your hands with glee' time when you can see a big bet and you know you've probably the nuts.....thats what you like most probably!! 

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Suited connectors and gappers:
    Who said suited connectors and suited gappers aren't profitable to play?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Can't remember who it was, but on a couple of threads (one of mine) where hands were posted about playing suited one gappers, some people were calling it spewy and loose etc to play them lol.
  • edited June 2013
    I think the biggest reason they are so profitable to play is the fact that they are so easy to play. It's like set mining with a small PP below say 77. If you don't hit then your done with the hand and move on. With broadway cards other than AK your always worried about being out kicked or if you do make two pair it's more likely that someone else can have a straight (or draw) as these hands are played more than say hands like 57, 78, 79 etc etc. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Suited connectors and gappers:
    I think the biggest reason they are so profitable to play is the fact that they are so easy to play. It's like set mining with a small PP below say 77. If you don't hit then your done with the hand and move on. With broadway cards other than AK your always worried about being out kicked or if you do make two pair it's more likely that someone else can have a straight (or draw) as these hands are played more than say hands like 57, 78, 79 etc etc. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    I disagree with this. I think gambling hands like this are perfect for opening up pre flop (even 3 betting sometimes in position). It gives us more ways to win the hand. We can hit it bang in the face and have a disguised monster on our hands, we can hit semi bluffing draws which allows us to c-bet with plenty of outs to hit if called and it also allows us to represent certain hands on certain flops. It also helps our image if we get to showdown.