You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Minimum BR

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi, 

Very new to the Sky communtiy but after playing and meeting a few people at the spt birmingham i plan to get a lot more involved, been reading a few of the diarys on here and looking at maybe doing my own cash diary.

Am interested as to what people think my opening roll should be for 0.02/0.04 and at what points in my roll i should jump up to the next level.

Kev

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Minimum BR:
    Hi,  Very new to the Sky communtiy but after playing and meeting a few people at the spt birmingham i plan to get a lot more involved, been reading a few of the diarys on here and looking at maybe doing my own cash diary. Am interested as to what people think my opening roll should be for 0.02/0.04 and at what points in my roll i should jump up to the next level. Kev
    Posted by kevod
    Hi Kev

Welcome to the forum.  The bankroll you need to play NL4 depends on a few factors:

1)  How easily you can reload if you bust

If you can reload every month then you can take a more aggressive stance to bankroll management.  If you are not in a position to do this, you should probably start with a bit more and hope you won't ever have to reload.

2)  Your edge (basically how good you are compared to the NL4 player pool)

The better you are, the lower the variance.  If you start crushing then you can take a more aggressive stance to bankroll management.

3)  How much the money means to you

Bankroll management isn't an exact science and you should tailor how many buyins you need based on how comfortable you are pulling up a certain % of your bankroll.

I would advise starting with £100 and buying in for the maximum (£4) each time you play, topping up every time your stack falls below the maximum.

Hope this helps.

W
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Minimum BR:
    In Response to Minimum BR : Hi Kev Welcome to the forum.  The bankroll you need to play NL4 depends on a few factors: 1)  How easily you can reload if you bust If you can reload every month then you can take a more aggressive stance to bankroll management.  If you are not in a position to do this, you should probably start with a bit more and hope you won't ever have to reload. 2)  Your edge (basically how good you are compared to the NL4 player pool) The better you are, the lower the variance.  If you start crushing then you can take a more aggressive stance to bankroll management. 3)  How much the money means to you Bankroll management isn't an exact science and you should tailor how many buyins you need based on how comfortable you are pulling up a certain % of your bankroll. I would advise starting with £100 and buying in for the maximum (£4) each time you play, topping up every time your stack falls below the maximum. Hope this helps. W
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Thanks for the quick reply, i think we were on the same table briefly in bham? The name looks familar any way.

£100 was what i had ear marked to start at so im glad you have said that, i have played a small amount of cash sessions over the past couple of weeks and i have managed to finish most sessions with a small profit, also throwing in a few £1.10 HU games in at the same time.

Based on this i should be moving up to 0.04/0.08 once i have £200?

Sorry if im asking stupid questions but ive never really been a cash player, more of a MTT player!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Minimum BR : Thanks for the quick reply, i think we were on the same table briefly in bham? The name looks familar any way.  £100 was what i had ear marked to start at so im glad you have said that, i have played a small amount of cash sessions over the past couple of weeks and i have managed to finish most sessions with a small profit, also throwing in a few £1.10 HU games in at the same time. Based on this i should be moving up to 0.04/0.08 once i have £200? Sorry if im asking stupid questions but ive never really been a cash player, more of a MTT player!
    Posted by kevod
    We may well have shared a table, I seem to remember being moved round a lot. 

Not stupid questions at all.  Moving up should be a liquid process.  Once you hit £200 you're likely to be playing well and your confidence should be high, so you could start taking shots at NL8, probably with a table of NL4 open at the same time to help ease the step-up.  However, if you want to progress up through the levels quickly, you could start taking shots at NL8 with the profits you make at NL4 quite soon, say, when you hit £160, as long as you are prepared to drop back down if you lose the buyin.  

This strategy should fast-track your progress, both in terms of the stakes you play and the quality of player you are, as you will be playing against better players than you are used to at NL4 and will have to force yourself to get better in order to compete at the new level.  Obviously though, this strategy is higher variance than just waiting to hit a certain threshold of buyins.

I hope that made sense, it was a bit jumbled.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Minimum BR : We may well have shared a table, I seem to remember being moved round a lot.  Not stupid questions at all.  Moving up should be a liquid process.  Once you hit £200 you're likely to be playing well and your confidence should be high, so you could start taking shots at NL8, probably with a table of NL4 open at the same time to help ease the step-up.  However, if you want to progress up through the levels quickly, you could start taking shots at NL8 with the profits you make at NL4 quite soon, say, when you hit £160, as long as you are prepared to drop back down if you lose the buyin.   This strategy should fast-track your progress, both in terms of the stakes you play and the quality of player you are, as you will be playing against better players than you are used to at NL4 and will have to force yourself to get better in order to compete at the new level.  Obviously though, this strategy is higher variance than just waiting to hit a certain threshold of buyins. I hope that made sense, it was a bit jumbled.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Makes alot of sense and is exactly what i was hoping to get from making this thread! Will get started on this tomorrow i think and start a thread to keep a record.

what kind of C4P would you expect id get in a month from this? Say playing 1-2 hours a night with 2 cash tables up and a few £1-3 HU games on the go?
  • edited June 2013
    what willhelm said is pretty spot on.

i'll address the c4p bit. in general forget about it. you wont make much in roads into a big bonus only playing 2 tables at nl4 for a couple of hours a night, at the end of the month you will prob be looking at around 200-300 points for a couple of quid bonus.

i play lots at nl4. i can 12 table for 10 hours a day and be very lucky if i get over 200 points for that time, granted im prob playing tighter than i would do if only on 2 tables. imo just concentrate on the playing and whatever you get is just a bonus
  • edited June 2013
    what willhelm said is pretty spot on. i'll address the c4p bit. in general forget about it. you wont make much in roads into a big bonus only playing 2 tables at nl4 for a couple of hours a night, at the end of the month you will prob be looking at around 200-300 points for a couple of quid bonus. i play lots at nl4. i can 12 table for 10 hours a day and be very lucky if i get over 200 points for that time, granted im prob playing tighter than i would do if only on 2 tables. imo just concentrate on the playing and whatever you get is just a bonus
    Posted by TINTIN
    Thanks, i thought that would be the case. Is it based on what you rake then?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Minimum BR : Thanks, i thought that would be the case. Is it based on what you rake then?
    Posted by kevod
    yeah you earn points in acordance to what rake you pay in the hand. its a weighted contribution system. i try n find the page with the details but if someone else knows where it is could they post it.

for quick reference if you get £4 in a pot and is match by the other player you get 1.6 points so you can imagine that you wont be making many points with lots of small pots
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Minimum BR : yeah you earn points in acordance to what rake you pay in the hand. its a weighted contribution system. i try n find the page with the details but if someone else knows where it is could they post it. for quick reference if you get £4 in a pot and is match by the other player you get 1.6 points so you can imagine that you wont be making many points with lots of small pots
    Posted by TINTIN
    Here's a link to the promotion page: Sky Poker Rewards

At a cash table, every pot you contribute rake to will see you earning poker points. Outside of Happy Hours or the Early Bird promotion, you'll earn 6 points for every £1 you contribute in rake. At NL4 7.5% of the pot is raked, if the hand goes to a flop. Pots won pre-flop are not raked. I believe the maximum amount that can be raked in any one hand at NL4 is £1.60.

As TINTIN says, don't worry about rakeback too much at the lower stakes because it won't make much difference to you. Just to give you some perspective, though, I played for about three and half hours the other night on four tables and got 92 points from that. So it really does depend on your style how many points you get. You also earn points from MTT's and Sit and Go's at the rate of ten points per £1 in fees.