You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Shortstacked / Shorthanded

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
3 People
20BB myself
How do i play? Is this acceptable?
5.75bh

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
HeroSmall blind 1000.001000.0040235.00
xBig blind 2000.003000.0052888.75
 Your hole cards
  • K

VillianRaise 4000.007000.0089876.25
HeroAll-in 40235.0047235.000.00
xFold    
VillianRaise 74470.00121705.0015406.25
VillianUnmatched bet 37235.0084470.0052641.25
HeroShow
  • K

VillianShow
  • A

Flop

• K

Turn

• A

River

VillianWinPair of Aces84470.00 137111.25
Also if anyone knows any books relating to shorthanded/shortstack play please tell me really need to improve in this area

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Well played, unlucky.
  • edited June 2013
    Shove is loose, and I personally wouldn't just 3b-jam it in here, but it's not terribad.

Learn to flop flushes in this spot imo. Can't believe you decided to flop a K instead, leaving him the 3outer. Poor imo.

nh ul gg
  • edited June 2013
    also think shove is quite loose.. dont mind a stop n go as a 2nd option to get villan off the dominating hands that wil call ur pf jam.. dont back down should u miss tho ;)
  • edited June 2013
    i dont think its loose what so ever, 3 handed with 20bbs, button should be opening a lot wider than k10, unlucky in my book.
  • edited June 2013
    Its actually an annoying spot, i dont really want to 3b fold, dont think we get called by worse if we jam, hate peeling OOP, and hate folding. 

I didn't want to post purely because i think all those options have some arguement. Really dont feel harsh, many play it this way i think. 
  • edited June 2013
    -

3 handed K10s, if btn been opening a lot and you know oppo will not call too wide then shove is ok

if you run into top of vill's range you can still hit a flush )

• edited June 2013
    Hi G

More of a tricky one than normal. 3 hdd your playing range is much wider. 20 bb's a lot talk about pushing even though a lot of charts consider 12-13 bbs as max. I'd be a little worried that its someone who has you well covered who may just take a punt but from charts i've seen KTs is a top 10% hand for pushing but only a top 15% hand for calling though it should be noted that a raise has come first. If the btn has been active as the table has been reducing then i feel a shove is a good decision here.  Two live cards, enough fold equity, suitedness adds 2% to your equity and you shouldn't be far off a flip against Ax. You were just a little unlucky to be against AT. TBH at this stage  you can't afford to wait in my opinion especially 3 hdd. It is a problematic one as the charts are based on being in a ertain position with a certain stack and either facing an ai or considering if you should ai after all folding to you. Though i haven't read the others yet, i wouldn't be surprised if there' a mix bag of results here.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Shortstacked / Shorthanded:
    .. - 3 handed K10s, if btn been opening a lot and you know oppo will not call too wide then shove is ok if you run into top of vill's range you can still hit a flush )
    Posted by rancid
    This

It's shove or fold.
  • edited June 2013
    Hi G More of a tricky one than normal. 3 hdd your playing range is much wider. 20 bb's a lot talk about pushing even though a lot of charts consider 12-13 bbs as max. I'd be a little worried that its someone who has you well covered who may just take a punt but from charts i've seen KTs is a top 10% hand for pushing but only a top 15% hand for calling though it should be noted that a raise has come first. If the btn has been active as the table has been reducing then i feel a shove is a good decision here.  Two live cards, enough fold equity, suitedness adds 2% to your equity and you shouldn't be far off a flip against Ax. You were just a little unlucky to be against AT. TBH at this stage  you can't afford to wait in my opinion especially 3 hdd. It is a problematic one as the charts are based on being in a ertain position with a certain stack and either facing an ai or considering if you should ai after all folding to you. Though i haven't read the others yet, i wouldn't be surprised if there' a mix bag of results here.
    Posted by profman15
    This number should be doubled when there is a raise in front of us.
  • edited June 2013
    Well shoving is unexploitable but not necessarily the most profitable.
  • edited June 2013
    also think shove is quite loose.. dont mind a stop n go as a 2nd option to get villan off the dominating hands that wil call ur pf jam.. dont back down should u miss tho ;)
    Posted by LnarinOO
    What happens when we hit top-pair, though? We're not stop-and-going when we hit are we?

If we're not just shoving the flop with top-pair, it's pretty transparent when we have nothing. Not that all opponents are going to follow that line of thinking, but this is why I hate the stop-and-go.

Of course, if our opponent is thinking along those lines we should be shoving top-pair because they'll call us light... but that's probably just levelling ourselves.