You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Brum- strange live spot

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Level 3 Blinds 100/200

Starting stack was 7500 Hero (me) ~ 7800. Villain has ~ 6500. Turbo structure. £110 mtt. 

Playing 8 handed

Utg Limps for 200
Utg+1 (Villain) limps for 200
MP Limps for 200
All others fold

Hero in BB raises to 1000 with Jc Js- ok?

Utg folds 
Utg+1 (Villian) click raises to 2000
MP folds

Hero action? It is 1k to call and villain has ~4300 behind. If we shove (assuming they call) and lose we have ~ 1500 left or 5bbs

I had no real reads on the villain apart from one hand where he bluffed from MP with 63os. Hero has been reasonably active. Villain did not appear uncomfortable and I was almost certain they would call a shove. 

Thoughts? Fold or Shove...? I assume noone peels... 

TIA

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Your raise pre is fine imo

Urgh puke after the limp/click 3bet. I think it's a fold.
  • edited June 2013
    shove or fold

prefer shoving

puke when oppo shows u QQ

When you say reasonably active, exactly what have they been doing ?
    Are they raising, are they limping or limping behind - have they been limp/raising.
    What hands have they shown ?

Have you been sleeping at the table ? )

without reads a fold is ok

• edited June 2013
    he is putting you to the test
    your read is that he is happy to gamble his tournie life on that hand
    the question is, are you? (yeah, you'll have a few chips left but meh)

probably more hands you are beating in his range than vice-versa
    but this isn't cash its a tournie
    one life only
    not only that it's an SPT - extra brag points for cashing

no probs with folding or shoving

& correct - no call - you just let him catch-up or bluff at you - he shoves any flop - if there is no J you fold

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT Brum- strange live spot:
    shove or fold prefer shoving puke when oppo shows u QQ When you say reasonably active, exactly what have they been doing ? Are they raising, are they limping or limping behind - have they been limp/raising. What hands have they shown ? Have you been sleeping at the table ? ) without reads a fold is ok
    Posted by rancid
    I have been reasonably active and also talking alot and probably generally annoying my table. I have had a few hands and have taken a few pots down, just small ones.

Only seen one hand (63os) from the villain. 
    I believe this is the first time they have limp raised. There has not been a great deal of limping in general on the table, I believe this was the first limp from utg. noone at the table worries me. 

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT Brum- strange live spot : I have been reasonably active and also talking alot and probably generally annoying my table. I have had a few hands and have taken a few pots down, just small ones. Only seen one hand (63os) from the villain.  I believe this is the first time they have limp raised. There has not been a great deal of limping in general on the table, I believe this was the first limp from utg. noone at the table worries me. 
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    How active has vill been, have they been raising previously ?
    Is this the  first time they have limped - do they like getting involved in pots.
    Is oppo limping 88 and clicking it back to you because you been 3 betting them a lot.
    Could oppo be waiting to spring a trap on you but springs it too early because they so stoopid, is oppo stoopid to now limp/raise AA/KK/QQ as a trap lol
    Why would they now raise, so obvious - easy for you to fold right or not )
    Why does oppo look so comfotable, surely if it's a trap - he should look uncomfortable or trying not to give anything away.
    Is oppo really that dumb, what was oppo doing when bluffing in the 63o hand - same composure - did they act comfortable ?

hihihihihihihi I HAVE A HAND I HAVE JUST LIMP/RAISED YOU - may aswell hold a sign up or have TIKAY reads out his hole cards on the mic

--

seriously - live poker is skills -

-- shove--

• edited June 2013
    HI G
     Agree its shove or fold.
    He can use that bluff against you no doubt but thats meta game isnt it.
     Risk/reward leaving you with 5 BB or a nice chance to bully a little and expand your starting hands. I guess you've never been afraid to take that chance in order to set up a smoother path in later levels as well as having experince in bullying G so i say shove.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm shoving there...... not happy about it. Not sure if one of the stronger players would limp/min with 4k behind? I feel like if I had AA KK QQ or AK there I would limp/shove to stop you peeling it off.

I'm feeling villain has AQ but really range is AK AQ 88+.

• edited June 2013
    with how annoying your face is, and the fact he can see you, i'd jam and hit a jack if we're behind.

also lol at you being a 'hero' :---p

more inclined to fold if utg LRR, rather than utg1
  • edited June 2013
    with how annoying your face is, and the fact he can see you, i'd jam and hit a jack if we're behind. also lol at you being a 'hero' :---p more inclined to fold if utg LRR, rather than utg1
    Posted by beaneh

My face tilts people, thats gotta be good innit! :) 

Fwiw I folded and he showed two red jacks! (woulda been hard to hit one!)

Thanks for comments all, Rancid especially, I was thinking all that stuff during tanking.. but concluded I didnt have a clue what was going on so I had to fold! 

Never been in a live spot like it! 
  • edited June 2013
    Live this is almost always always KK+ thus looks like a fold. 
  • edited June 2013
    Live this is almost always always KK+ thus looks like a fold. 
    Posted by The_Don90

the overlimper LRR not the open limper. makes dat difference imo
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT Brum- strange live spot : the overlimper LRR not the open limper. makes dat difference imo
    Posted by beaneh
    Ah i misread ty for correcting. 

What sort of range do u assign to on over limper in this spot? Live and readless  
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT Brum- strange live spot : Ah i misread ty for correcting.  What sort of range do u assign to on over limper in this spot? Live and readless  
    Posted by The_Don90

hands he wanted to overlimp, that now hes over valuing, super strong hands that hes playing bizarrelly, pretty hands he wanted to see a flop with and is now doing weird things with.

put yourself in their shoes, this isn't online, they can see greggs stupid face grinning at them as he raises everyhand with his right hand, cocktail with umbrella in his left hand, sipping away.... how can you not play awfully you'd be so tilted
  • edited June 2013
    Make it bigger pre and sigh-shipit over limpR from an overlimper. And if you're me, you can just decide to flop quads anyway even if he has Aces, AND gambling is fun as fook.

Jammyjammyjammy
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT Brum- strange live spot : hands he wanted to overlimp, that now hes over valuing, super strong hands that hes playing bizarrelly, pretty hands he wanted to see a flop with and is now doing weird things with. put yourself in their shoes, this isn't online, they can see greggs stupid face grinning at them as he raises everyhand with his right hand, cocktail with umbrella in his left hand, sipping away.... how can you not play awfully you'd be so tilted
    Posted by beaneh
    So is it + or - ev to have an annoying face in live poker iyo? :)

You should know! 
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks for the replies all.

Had I known that the villain was a forum reg at the time I would have probably shipped, as I have a bit of history with that player and they probably know I can raise light there. 

Anyway... I am still happy with the fold because it was a tricky spot and sometimes risk aversion (when we are unsure of our opponants range) is the best way to go even in a turbo. Isn't that right EvilPingu? :)

Edit- it was not evil pingu in this hand, I was just reminding him of his inability to fold jacks with 1000000 bbs :)
  • edited June 2013
    Just seen something similar live. 
    2nd level
    2nd limper calls a big bet from sb
    667 flop
    bet raise raise shove sighcall
    sb QQ
    limper KK

also the limper must be an internet player, as he doesn't know how to stack chips
  • edited June 2013
    Just seen something similar live.  2nd level 2nd limper calls a big bet from sb 667 flop bet raise raise shove sighcall sb QQ limper KK also the limper must be an internet player, as he doesn't know how to stack chips
    Posted by GELDY
    Sounds more like an inexperianced player to me Geldy. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: SPT Brum- strange live spot : Sounds more like an inexperianced player to me Geldy. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    not sure Don

this was a very specific play from him. after the hand he asked the guy how could he possibly have called the shove, given that he had limped pre. as far as he was concerned his limp pre followed by getting it all in had turned his hand face up and he was therefore confused with the final call. to me the sign of a trappy guy used to playing people who can decipher his betting patterns.
    (to which the response was - he was effectively pot committed)
  • edited June 2013
    Alright Gregg

Hadn,t seen this thread before. but as you called it in OP, although this was an SPT and a £110 buy in event it still felt like a turbo. there was lot of talk beforehand of chipping up early, hence why i had been pretty active early on.

In this spot i did click it back quickly as limp - raising or limp shoving from UTG usually means AA or KK or thats what i was hoping you,d think. When i,d put that bet in , it was all going in anyway.

Who knows - I might have hit a flush but congrats on going on to cash. 

Looking back now i did get far to involved early on with some very mediocre hands although i was trying to give myself a loose image for when the big hands game. Unfortanlely the JJ was the biggest hand i came accross

Interesting to hear your thoughts on  a spot in a live game tho.WP

Paul (The villain)
  • edited June 2013
    click back is always to induce hard to fold here as stacks so shallow but cnt see how ya winning unless opponent has ak but surely they jam over ya 1k raise looks like ya crushed to me just hate the min raise yuck 
  • edited June 2013
    Alright Gregg Hadn,t seen this thread before. but as you called it in OP, although this was an SPT and a £110 buy in event it still felt like a turbo. there was lot of talk beforehand of chipping up early, hence why i had been pretty active early on. In this spot i did click it back quickly as limp - raising or limp shoving from UTG usually means AA or KK or thats what i was hoping you,d think. When i,d put that bet in , it was all going in anyway. Who knows - I might have hit a flush but congrats on going on to cash.  Looking back now i did get far to involved early on with some very mediocre hands although i was trying to give myself a loose image for when the big hands game. Unfortanlely the JJ was the biggest hand i came accross Interesting to hear your thoughts on  a spot in a live game tho.WP Paul (The villain)
    Posted by MP33
    Hi Paul, at the time, I did not realise this was you! Only after the hand i thought wasn't Paul Robinson in seat 6! I prob get it in if i knew it was u!

:)
  • edited June 2013
    Alright Gregg Hadn,t seen this thread before. but as you called it in OP, although this was an SPT and a £110 buy in event it still felt like a turbo. there was lot of talk beforehand of chipping up early, hence why i had been pretty active early on. In this spot i did click it back quickly as limp - raising or limp shoving from UTG usually means AA or KK or thats what i was hoping you,d think. When i,d put that bet in , it was all going in anyway. Who knows - I might have hit a flush but congrats on going on to cash.  Looking back now i did get far to involved early on with some very mediocre hands although i was trying to give myself a loose image for when the big hands game. Unfortanlely the JJ was the biggest hand i came accross Interesting to hear your thoughts on  a spot in a live game tho.WP Paul (The villain)
    Posted by MP33

the problem is that the situation you got yourself into is where you have a hand that is pretty good, and you are representing really really good. you should have a weaker hand to do this or the really strong hands not something inetbween that could cause you problems.