You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Volume

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat
"I like this place. And willingly could waste my time in it."

It's always nice to open with a bit of Billy.  So.  Volume.

I was fortunate enough to be at the SPT last weekend, and in amongst a lot of very drunken random conversations someone asked me: "What sort of volume do you put in?".  My initial reaction to the question was to bashfully chuckle and explain that I'm only a recreational player, and tend to stick to small stake MTTs and Satellites into the bigger tournaments on Sky (I only play on Sky).

But then I started speaking...

Well.... I play the Monday DTDs, they're always good fun, and then Tuesday they've got the cheap main event so I like to play the mini and main (and try to do well for the TV!). Wednesday HitSquad have a SnG game that I'll play (prior to that I'd play a lot of comps for the Community Night), and then Thursday the show's on and it's a bounty hunter with a big field so I'll try a Semi into that and play the mini.... you've got the idea by now.

A friend of mine recently asked what the plan was for my poker, why am I suddenly playing so regularly, and what do I want to get out of it?  The honest answer (and I've seen some recent posts suggesting that what I'm going to say next is utter tripe) is that I want to progress with my game, and to feel a sense of achievement every now and again along the way. I wanted to become part of something, part of this great Community that I heard Tikay eulogising over on the TV one night having stumbled across the channel.  I'm not here to make millions, I'm not even here to make hundreds.  I'm here to share an experience, and to feel a sense of personal achievement.  Clearly I'd be less keen if I lost every time and the hobby became expensive, but profit wasn't and isn't the key motivation.

Because of that, if I have the balance right, I shouldn't be able to describe the amount I play as 'putting in volume'.

So?  What's the point?

I really wanted to ask those 'recreational regulars' out there how you structure your time at the tables and how that fits around a day job (preferably MTT-ers as I imagine time management is easier with cash).  I'm playing, then I'm railing, then once again it's stupid o'clock with work in the morning.  Do you strictly play the same tournaments at the same times on the same nights, do you set yourself limits?  I have heard people say that relationships have suffered due to playing too often, and if I'm honest I can see it.

I work full-time and have a couple of kids, so time in the evenings and at weekends is at a premium. I came back from a brilliant weekend in Birmingham and promised the other half that I would reduce the time that I spend playing.  I said I'd continue to play Mondays and try to qualify for other SPTs.  Unfortunately, the satellites for DTD started the very next day!

There's a lot there, so apologies for that.  If anyone can relate to the above, offer advice, tell me to get lost - whatever - it's all appreciated.  Doesn't sound like I've given much scope for interactive debate, but I'm interested in views and will obviously answer any questions as they come (when I can squeeze in a bit of time..).

Comments

• edited June 2013
    HI bbMike

On a personal level, i play as much or as little as i want. I never feel that i need to play x amount of hands, tourneys, dyms etc.

I want to enjoy it and so the the thought of "i must make x amount of points today" just isn't me.

In the summer i play less because i love my golf. In the winter i play more.

I admit when i'm running bad (doing chunks, playing bad) , i may play more one night to try and retrieve a situation. This obviously isn't good but just what i do.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Volume:
    I admit when i'm running bad (doing chunks, playing bad) , i may play more one night to try and retrieve a situation. This obviously isn't good but just what i do.
    Posted by Jac35
    Thanks Paul. I tend to find that if I'm knocked out of an evening tournament early I'll register for another at similar stakes, more likely if I felt I'd played well and got unlucky, but in either case. These secondary tourns never go as well, inpatience will normally rear its head. During the day I'll be looking forward to the poker ahead, so an early exit can be deflating. There's no win here though as invariably if I do manage a deep run in a later tournament it's even later to bed! 
  • edited June 2013

Yo BB!

It was good to meet ya at the w/end mate. Glad you enjoyed the SPT experience.
    Your selections of games sound very similar to mine TBH, so try not to change too many of them but maybe drop some occasionally and add some different ones every now and again.I am saying mix it up a bit and try and play the ones you enjoy. For example, the £2K BH @ 9.30pm could be one you could try a couple nights of the week.
    Never chase C4P's. Only play if you are relaxed and in the right frame of mind.

ALWAYS make time for the family. If need be, have a poker break - even if you are on a heater.

Hope some of this makes sense.
  • edited June 2013
    Yo BB! It was good to meet ya at the w/end mate. Glad you enjoyed the SPT experience. Your selections of games sound very similar to mine TBH, so try not to change too many of them but maybe drop some occasionally and add some different ones every now and again.I am saying mix it up a bit and try and play the ones you enjoy. For example, the £2K BH @ 9.30pm could be one you could try a couple nights of the week. Never chase C4P's. Only play if you are relaxed and in the right frame of mind. ALWAYS make time for the family. If need be, have a poker break - even if you are on a heater. Hope some of this makes sense.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Hi Alan, yes it ALL makes sense!

I think the later games could suit me better. The mrs starts work very early (5am) so is normally off to bed between 9 and 9.30, and as such I get free reign after that anyway. I don't like rushing the kids to bed because I've got a game about to start or I'm in a 5 minute break.

Great to meet you too. Technically it was my second SPT after London although for that I didn't travel, didn't stay too late, and didn't play any side games (think the Sat night one got cancelled) so Birmingham was certainly more of an event. Now hooked!

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Volume : Hi Alan, yes it ALL makes sense! I think the later games could suit me better. The mrs starts work very early (5am) so is normally off to bed between 9 and 9.30, and as such I get free reign after that anyway. I don't like rushing the kids to bed because I've got a game about to start or I'm in a 5 minute break. Great to meet you too. Technically it was my second SPT after London although for that I didn't travel, didn't stay too late, and didn't play any side games (think the Sat night one got cancelled) so Birmingham was certainly more of an event. Now hooked!
    Posted by bbMike

Also try a couple of them all in sats for the 9pm game then. Out of my BR to buy in direct ATM, but so good to play. I have lost my binkability in these of late, but always try a couple each night I am on. I think they are 8.30pm onwards and there is usually 4+.(£3 for a £55/£110 BI ticket)
  • edited June 2013
    I play 2p - 4p cash games and with the profit I make I enter as many Deep Stacks as I can. If I cash in them I'll use winnings to enter bigger buy-in tournaments. 

In other words I'm satelliting in with my own winnings.
  • edited June 2013
    I'm satelliting in with my own winnings.
    Posted by greggo1410
    You are, but a) this is the perfect formula for going busto and b) you'll be spending a lot of time at the tables treading water. Let's talk about efficiency of volume, rather than bankroll management.

Maxally, I did bink a 2k BH seat by courtesy of the random second place award in all-in sats last month. Took a couple of heads, happy days. I don't have a bankroll as such but I know if I start regging into £55 games every other evening I'll soon have a problem! Prefer the bigger fields, and the TV games but agree later games and mixing it up 'taking a shot' every now and again will keep it fresh.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Volume : You are, but a) this is the perfect formula for going busto and b) you'll be spending a lot of time at the tables treading water. Let's talk about efficiency of volume, rather than bankroll management. Maxally, I did bink a 2k BH seat by courtesy of the random second place award in all-in sats last month. Took a couple of heads, happy days. I don't have a bankroll as such but I know if I start regging into £55 games every other evening I'll soon have a problem! Prefer the bigger fields, and the TV games but agree later games and mixing it up 'taking a shot' every now and again will keep it fresh.
    Posted by bbMike

Hi mate, I only meant to attempt the sats to see if you could bink a seat, not buy in direct.
  • edited June 2013

Hey Pal,

Basically play the same games myself also the 200gtd and the mega on a Friday.Im never home early enough to try and sat into many tourneys with work.Volume wise mine is maybe a bit different.As I work in advertising my work revolves around two week cycles.So week one I always get to play more and can play the 9.30bh or the later speed bounty hunter with starting chips of 4000.Were as in the week two my volume drops as I have early starts.

Pat

• edited June 2013
    Understood Max thanks. Bubbled the 2k Sat last night, making 20p :)

Need some structure to stop myself reg-tilting, played too much last night again.

Cheers Pat, sounds like you have the timetable discipline that I'm lacking at the moment. Need to have a word with myself!