You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Your ideal mentor...

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat

Inspired by another thread...

If you could choose a mentor (who plays on Sky Poker now) to teach you all they know about poker - who would it be and why?

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Your ideal mentor...:
    Inspired by another thread... If you could choose a mentor (who plays on Sky Poker now) to teach you all they know about poker - who would it be and why? Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Lambert180 or cenachav have gave me some good advice so one of them two probably
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor...:
    In Response to Your ideal mentor... : Lambert180 or cenachav have gave me some good advice so one of them two probably
    Posted by greggo1410
    +1
  • edited June 2013

Richard Orford. He could do it in the 1st break in tonight's show if he wanted.

In return, I would teach him how to do a proper Wembley wave.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Your ideal mentor... : Lambert180 or cenachav have gave me some good advice so one of them two probably
    Posted by greggo1410
    +1 for sure. Incredible
  • edited June 2013
    lol u fold because very good all round player thats what needed to be a total player
  • edited June 2013
    Posted by greggo1410
    Taking too much advice from me is not going to be +ev!

I would love to be mentored by Stu Rutter. For some reason every thing he says seems to make sense to me and helps me improve as a player
  • edited June 2013

Interesting choices there greggo... I like both of those guys. I'm not saying I'd consider being mentored by either of them but I suppose it depends how far you've progressed in your own understanding. I'm sure they could help relative novices a great deal as well as offering a good sounding board for other players on a similar level.

Probably a silly question this one, Sky_Poker. We can all think of aliases of players we consider to be "good" but who's to say they'd be able or willing to mentor others?

I think the only one I could say with confidence would be CoxyLboro, since I know he has some experience in coaching. He could probably help me with my discipline problem if I really thought of it as something that needed fixing. Aside from him, I'm unaware of anyone who's done this sort of thing before.

• edited June 2013
    Easy choice for me....tommyd
  • edited June 2013
    Beanah
    I think I could handle the harshnish !

lol_raise....

failing that then Anna Fowler for some one on one.........swish.....................
    Had to lower the tone...soz...

• edited June 2013
    Smitalos to help me at cash

Because it would be fun! 
  • edited June 2013
    Interesting choices there greggo... I like both of those guys. I'm not saying I'd consider being mentored by either of them but I suppose it depends how far you've progressed in your own understanding. I'm sure they could help relative novices a great deal as well as offering a good sounding board for other players on a similar level. Probably a silly question this one, Sky_Poker. We can all think of aliases of players we consider to be "good" but who's to say they'd be able or willing to mentor others? I think the only one I could say with confidence would be CoxyLboro, since I know he has some experience in coaching. He could probably help me with my discipline problem if I really thought of it as something that needed fixing. Aside from him, I'm unaware of anyone who's done this sort of thing before.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Fair point, it probably depends on what you feel your skill level is - I guess you'd wan't to be mentored by someone a bit better / more experienced than you? They will have very likely played at your level before and they'd be able to tell you what they did to improve their game.

That said, an alternative view from someone at your level might give you a different perspective too. Also, say you were good at tournaments, you might want to improve your cash game and get help from a cash player. So many options!

Interesting thread.
  • edited June 2013
    Definitely Coxy, has a solid proven track record of crushing pretty much every format on the site at pretty much any level going. I also have first hand experience of how good a coach he can be.

P.S. Thanks Greggles, not sure I'd be the best choice lol, but as Borin says I could happily teach someone the basics of the game
  • edited June 2013
    Nagrom/Bawfizzle so i could go and crush higher stakes HU sngs.
  • edited June 2013
  • edited June 2013
    MattBates
    has a totally different style which should be very additive to my play
    TommyD obv
    evilpingu and rancid could definitely add some value
    and if Borinloner can teach as well as he can post then for sure

• edited June 2013
    Beanah I think I could handle the harshnish ! lol_raise.... failing that then Anna Fowler for some one on one.........swish..................... Had to lower the tone...soz...
    Posted by rancid
    nah you prob couldn't. 

ask greghogg we did a session and he left in tears after 3 minutes.
  • edited June 2013
    Grantorino,  his advice in the clinic, IMO,  is ALWAYS spot-on. If he's not available I'd prob go for Solack or ryan83 - they ALWAYS seem to be on GAryQQQQ's results threads! 
  • edited June 2013
    2guys1acct

Alas, I can't afford him.
  • edited June 2013
    Nagrom/Bawfizzle so i could go and crush higher stakes HU sngs.
    Posted by benc
    +1 to Bawfizzle
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor... : Fair point, it probably depends on what you feel your skill level is - I guess you'd wan't to be mentored by someone a bit better / more experienced than you? They will have very likely played at your level before and they'd be able to tell you what they did to improve their game. That said, an alternative view from someone at your level might give you a different perspective too. Also, say you were good at tournaments, you might want to improve your cash game and get help from a cash player. So many options! Interesting thread.
    Posted by Sky_Poker

I think that if you were going to offer up a mentoring system for Total Player there has to be something special about it, that you can't get by chatting with players on the same level as you. From that point of view, I wouldn't think anyone like Lambert, rancid, Percival, myself or many other forum regs would be particularly good. We can talk about the technical elements of the game pretty well, but we can't talk about how we "beat NL50 and turned pro" or anything like that.

I know that Lambert, the_Don and others have a Skype group anyway so you wouldn't be offering those players or players like them anything distinctive without professional mentorship or coaching.

You want to be tutored by someone who has a thorough understanding of almost all aspects of the game. It's possible to win consistently at certain levels or games with only a relatively narrow understanding and there are many on Sky who manage this. These players would not be good tutors despite their results. In the same way, there are players who have all the knowledge and understanding of poker needed to mentor others but lack the social or communicative skills to do so effectively.

That's why I would say CoxyLboro because, to my knowledge, he ticks all the boxes. Any mentor scheme should really be centred on players who've mentored or coached before.
  • edited June 2013
    MattBates has a totally different style which should be very additive to my play TommyD obv evilpingu and rancid could definitely add some value and if Borinloner can teach as well as he can post then for sure
    Posted by GELDY
    Don't say things like this. Take a look at my scope graph and compare it to the other guys you mention. You'll see I don't belong in their company. (Not that results always reflect ability but in this instance they do)
  • edited June 2013
    MattBates would be my ideal choice.

His MTT game is awsome imo and I would love my game to progress/move into this direction.

I have been watching his game for months now and it seriously impresses me how he accumulates chips so easily.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor... : nah you prob couldn't.  ask greghogg we did a session and he left in tears after 3 minutes.
    Posted by beaneh
    Yes because I realised that you took my food money for the week and I couldn't eat! :)
  • edited June 2013
    i change my answer

Phil Ivey 

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor... : Yes because I realised that you took my food money for the week and I couldn't eat! :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    So that's why his bankroll doubled after your session!

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor... : Don't say things like this. Take a look at my scope graph and compare it to the other guys you mention. You'll see I don't belong in their company. (Not that results always reflect ability but in this instance they do)
    Posted by BorinLoner
    you have said yourself that you play worse than your commentary
    you always provide a clear point of view, broken down component by component
    for anyone who has not yet got into a frame of mind to think hands through like that
    you could provide a great uplift 
  • edited June 2013
    Grantorino,  his advice in the clinic, IMO,  is ALWAYS spot-on. If he's not available I'd prob go for Solack or ryan83 - they ALWAYS seem to be on GAryQQQQ's results threads! 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Jeez! Just after I posted this I realised the ideal mentor for me would be GaryQQQ!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor... : Yes because I realised that you took my food money for the week and I couldn't eat! :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG

as if you'd not eat.

I didn't realise I charged soooo much :p
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor... : you have said yourself that you play worse than your commentary you always provide a clear point of view, broken down component by component for anyone who has not yet got into a frame of mind to think hands through like that you could provide a great uplift 
    Posted by GELDY
    I guess I'll have to start crushing the tables so people stop thinking of me as good at talking and terrible at playing.

I'd also prefer to be considered as a contender for the total player thing, rather than some sort of low-stakes mentor for n00bs. lol
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Your ideal mentor... : I guess I'll have to start crushing the tables
    Posted by BorinLoner
    BorinLoner FTW