You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

AK right or wrong.

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Deep in torn my KK got done on an all in v AQ so i waited for a spot to shove and thought this was my opportunity,So correct shove or not?ty chris-27- Big blind  400.00 400.00 11822.50  Your hole cards A K    MELLOR85 Raise  1200.00 1600.00 14417.50 Tom281189 Fold     tiamac58 All-in  4280.00 5880.00 0.00 est1967 All-in  10078.00 15958.00 0.00 chris-27- Fold     MELLOR85 Call  8878.00 24836.00 5539.50 MELLOR85 Show Q Q    tiamac58 Show J J    est1967 Show A K    Flop  4 2 9    Turn  7    River  10    MELLOR85 Win Pair of Queens 24836.00  

Comments

• edited June 2013

I had over 8 bigs but ty anyway.

• edited June 2013
    ?

You potentially crush the range of the guy shoving 10.5bb over the open raise. If you know the original raiser only opens a very narrow range utg then you could pass, but 25bbs and AK, think most people are going for it in the same position.

When the cards go on their backs I bet you're reasonably happy with 2 very live cards. Down to the poker gods after that.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: AK right or wrong.:
    ? You potentially crush the range of the guy shoving 10.5bb over the open raise. If you know the original raiser only opens a very narrow range utg then you could pass, but 25bbs and AK, think most people are going for it in the same position. When the cards go on their backs I bet you're reasonably happy with 2 very live cards. Down to the poker gods after that.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    +1

You need to have strong reasons to believe that one of these players only has a super-narrow range in order to fold. Without that information, you're holding a premium hand versus a 3-betting range that can be pretty wide and an open-raising range than can also be pretty wide. You will frequently go heads-up against the short stack with a dominating hand here and when you don't, it's still unlikely that you will be dominated by AA or KK since you hold one of each.

The 4-bet shove is fine here.
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks,Funnily enough id just been sat at that table so had no reads but was happy to see JJ QQ tbh but didnt win the races.
  • edited June 2013
    Good shove spot, especially if it's a bounty tournament and there are also two head-prizes up for grabs. You gotta win these races to win tournaments.

Just one point, the fact that you lost KK<AQ before has absolutely nothing to do with it. That hand has gone and should be forgotten, it has zero influence on your decision here.
  • edited June 2013
    Im struggling to find why you are asking this question in the first place. This is a standard ABC situation in tournies. I dont say this to be mean but only because of this: You are playing results here by asking this. If you had won the flip and tripled up (happy days!) then you wouldnt be asking. Everyone makes the right play and loses as easily as it wins. But what about the times you make the wrong decision and win? Do you wonder if that was right? 

All im saying is that if your not sure about a situation then ask, it shouldnt matter if you won or lost the hand.
  • edited June 2013
    Im struggling to find why you are asking this question in the first place. This is a standard ABC situation in tournies. I dont say this to be mean but only because of this: You are playing results here by asking this. If you had won the flip and tripled up (happy days!) then you wouldnt be asking. Everyone makes the right play and loses as easily as it wins. But what about the times you make the wrong decision and win? Do you wonder if that was right?  All im saying is that if your not sure about a situation then ask, it shouldnt matter if you won or lost the hand.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    I have to be honest im so confused by your comments/garbish.

I posted right or wrong about my shove AFTER an oppo had already pushed all in and a min raise before that,So was wondering if i could of folded in that posistion regardless weather the hand won or not..
    So when you say just ask,,,I DID.
  • edited June 2013
    Right... A fold would be very very bad imo.

If the shortie was not involved you would reshove over the opening min raise. Isolating the shortie is the correct thing to do in this situation as their range includes lots of aces that we crush as well as other stuff like pairs that we are not in bad shape against. 

You may get a fold from the OR too because our shove appears very strong and if we run into AA or KK so be it. 
  • edited June 2013
    Right... A fold would be very very bad imo. If the shortie was not involved you would reshove over the opening min raise. Isolating the shortie is the correct thing to do in this situation as their range includes lots of aces that we crush as well as other stuff like pairs that we are not in bad shape against.  You may get a fold from the OR too because our shove appears very strong and if we run into AA or KK so be it. 
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Yep that makes perfect sense.

Tbh i sensed utg had a monster with his min but when oppo jammed i thought id shove over the top and hopefully utg would fold 10s or js. Tbh i was really happy when i saw there hands but sadly no poker gods on my side lol.

TY for the advice all..Matter closed.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: AK right or wrong. : I have to be honest im so confused by your comments/garbish. I posted right or wrong about my shove AFTER an oppo had already pushed all in and a min raise before that,So was wondering if i could of folded in that posistion regardless weather the hand won or not.. So when you say just ask,,,I DID.
    Posted by est1967
    All im saying is if you had won that hand would you ask the question? I think not.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: AK right or wrong. : All im saying is if you had won that hand would you ask the question? I think not.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    LOL  you obviously dont no me,yes ive posted hands when ive won to see if the play was correct or not..Closed matter ty