You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Looking at your cards in live poker...

edited June 2013 in Poker Chat

Sparked by a recent conversation...

When you play live at an SPT or similar, how do you look at your cards?

- Do you look at both the same time or one at a time?
- Do you wait for your turn or look as soon as you get them?
- Do you look at them horizontally or vertically?
- How much do you 'cover' your cards when reading them?

Comments

• edited June 2013
    My action is always exactly the same:

- After cards are dealt, put cards one on top of other and position them infront of me horizontally.
    -Wait until it's my turn to act, then turn the cards 90 degrees, shield with my left hand and lift the left hand corner with my right hand.
    - Once I've looked at the cards, turn them back 90 degrees and position them horizontally exactly as before, then take my hands away from the cards and sit back before making any further action.

I do this exactly the same regardless of whether I intend to enter the pot or fold.
  • edited June 2013

Here is Trip5's guide......

- Do you look at both the same time or one at a time? - As I have to always squint, looking at one is a bonus, two is just a no no.
    - Do you wait for your turn or look as soon as you get them? - As soon as someone shouts at me that it is my turn, I look.
    - Do you look at them horizontally or vertically? - I am usually horizontal.
    - How much do you 'cover' your cards when reading them? - Sometimes my head does fall onto them which covers them. There are also times I cover my cards with dribble.

PS....what is lokking?
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Lokking at your cards in live poker...:
    Here is Trip5's guide...... - Do you look at both the same time or one at a time? - As I have to always squint, looking at one is a bonus, two is just a no no. - Do you wait for your turn or look as soon as you get them? - As soon as someone shouts at me that it is my turn, I look. - Do you look at them horizontally or vertically? -  I am usually horizontally. - How much do you 'cover' your cards when reading them? - Sometimes my head does fall onto them which covers them. There are also times I cover my cards with dribble. PS....what is lokking?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    We spotted the typo at the same time as you!

Changed it.
  • edited June 2013
    Have no set way, look as soon as I get them.
  • edited June 2013
    Here is Trip5's guide...... - Do you look at both the same time or one at a time? - As I have to always squint, looking at one is a bonus, two is just a no no. - Do you wait for your turn or look as soon as you get them? - As soon as someone shouts at me that it is my turn, I look. - Do you look at them horizontally or vertically? -  I am usually horizontal. - How much do you 'cover' your cards when reading them? - Sometimes my head does fall onto them which covers them. There are also times I cover my cards with dribble. PS....what is lokking?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Brilliant, I can confirm this as I was sat next to trip5 at 3am in the side event on the SPT at Birmingham, funniest 2 hours poker ever, what a legend, ROFLMAO
  • edited June 2013
    Here is Trip5's guide...... - Do you look at both the same time or one at a time? - As I have to always squint, looking at one is a bonus, two is just a no no. - Do you wait for your turn or look as soon as you get them? - As soon as someone shouts at me that it is my turn, I look. - Do you look at them horizontally or vertically? -  I am usually horizontal. - How much do you 'cover' your cards when reading them? - Sometimes my head does fall onto them which covers them. There are also times I cover my cards with dribble. PS....what is lokking?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Scarily accurate!!!

xx
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Lokking at your cards in live poker... : Scarily accurate!!! xx
    Posted by TRIP5

...and there is also the squeal when you see AA.

• edited June 2013
    - Do you look at both the same time or one at a time?
    Depends.  I'm a bit cack-handed.
    - Do you wait for your turn or look as soon as you get them?
    I used to wait my turn but now I just look straight away.  Waiting your turn just slows the game down.  If everyone did it you might see 10 flops an hour.
    - Do you look at them horizontally or vertically?
    See answer to first question.
    - How much do you 'cover' your cards when reading them?

I don't know.  A bit.
  • edited June 2013

My action is always exactly the same: - After cards are dealt, put cards one on top of other and position them infront of me horizontally. -Wait until it's my turn to act, then turn the cards 90 degrees, shield with my left hand and lift the left hand corner with my right hand. - Once I've looked at the cards, turn them back 90 degrees and position them horizontally exactly as before, then take my hands away from the cards and sit back before making any further action. I do this exactly the same regardless of whether I intend to enter the pot or fold.
    Posted by Slykllist
  • edited June 2013
    I don't even look @ them

I just use the power of position

#bawsee
  • edited June 2013

i do start off in a tourney doing the same thing and wait to look until the acton is on me, but if im having a few pints find myself looking before acton gets to me lol

• edited June 2013
    is it a rule that you dont lift your cards off the table?. never see players lifting cards up to there face.. thax..
  • edited June 2013
    It is pretty much a rule that if your opponent sees your cards, you're gonna have a hard time pulling that bluff trigger.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Looking at your cards in live poker...:
     i do start off in a tourney doing the same thing and wait to look until the acton is on me, but if im having a few pints find myself looking before acton gets to me lol
    Posted by BARBIE59
    didn`t think you drank alcholol while playing!
  • edited June 2013
    I didn't know he was playing.... *hic*
  • edited June 2013

well only 1 or 2 like lol playing? donnating? not much diffrence lol

• edited June 2013
    holdem
    one
    wait
    vertically
    very
    and pause
    and if i am not folding i place them down, cover with my card protector/s and make my play
    only downside is that while covered and contemplating, the next to act occasionally acts out of turn
    "sorry, didn't realise he still had cards"

omaha
    whatever
    asap
    any
    maybe
    i mean, four cards to look at and memorise, give us a break

• edited June 2013

I just hold them to my chest and then pull them up to my face and then hold them tightly against my chest.

Sometimes I may just pick them up and glare at them at arms length.

Failing that I'll wait untill someone yells at me that it's my turn then procced to slow the game down.

Then I'll spend another 10 minutes, messing about with my chips and then FOLD!

• edited June 2013
    I always put one card on top of another, put my card protector on them until it's my turn to act and then i lift the corner of the bottom card and flick it down to see the 2nd card afterwards haha. And every time i fold, i always throw toss them like 5ft in the air hahaha :P
  • edited June 2013
    lol at all the responses itt

I just wait for the 70x62 pixels to show me what I've been dealt.
    Then I raise-4bet-6bet it, with a big fck-off grin on my face.

Doesn't everyone??

Sometimes I cover up the river if I want a real sweat, trying to bink/fade flushes. Expert move, only for the pros tho (Y)
  • edited June 2013
    Oh, your meant to look at them!