You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT's

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Hi L

I wouldn't class mysellf as being very good at MTT's but i would like to give an opinion. Getting past the middle stages of MTT's can be done with TAG play and not too many chances taken, i feel. It's that change of gear that's needed after that which will propel you into the cashes and particularly the top three which you should always aim for.
The AA is perfectly played imo.
The AQo hand , for your stack size, is perfectly played by yourself and the call call by A8s is perfectly acceptable too though he should always raise pre imo. There are shove/call charts for certain stack sizes which are available and will make these decisions for you should you be readless.
Good luck in MTT's

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Hey!

Is there any decent winning MTT players would mind looking over a few MTT hands sometime/ given a bit of feedback on hands how they were played?

I'm decent enough at Cash and HU Games, but MTT's have really been a weak point the last while. The last time i won an MTT (online) was months ago. I seem to get into the mid to late stages, like 30% of the field left and struggle from there on in. I know that's my weakness in tournies.

I played an MTT tonight, there was 60 left out of 200 plus, then this hand happened, Pocket Aces Busted with 10s leaving me 800 chips. I won a hand taken me up to 2300, then got this in with AQ against chip leaders A8 suited, flop came down giving him a straight and flush draw, straight hut!

I was playing quite well, and i know i'm just unlucky with the aces hand, but take out getting a monster and getting a call, at this stage in a tournie i'm not sure what the optimal way to play is.

If any good MTT player would be up for a chat sometime about the mid stages of a Tournie/ Strategy around this send me a message or let me know on here. Thanks
    blacc Fold     
    williwont Fold     
    YfragLDN Call  150.00 375.00 20712.50
    beesting30 Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  450.00 825.00 4405.00
    Avaty All-in  3950.00 4775.00 0.00
    YfragLDN Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  3575.00 8350.00 830.00
    LARSON7 Show
    • A
    • A

Avaty Show

Flop

Turn

River

• Q

Avaty Win Three 10s 8350.00
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    beesting30 Small blind  100.00 100.00 1160.00
    LARSON7 Big blind  200.00 300.00 2160.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

Avaty Fold     
    williwont Fold     
    YfragLDN Call  200.00 500.00 24367.50
    beesting30 Fold     
    LARSON7 All-in  2160.00 2660.00 0.00
    YfragLDN Call  2160.00 4820.00 22207.50
    LARSON7 Show
    • A
    • Q

YfragLDN Show
    • A

Flop

• J

Turn

River

YfragLDN Win Straight to the Jack 4820.00  
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks Prof, 

That's my weakness in MTT's "the change of gear" i would say i'm not very good at this at all.

The aces hand above, plays itself, really easy. But outside of big starting hands, i'm not sure how to "change gears"

Early doors in tournies is pretty straight forward, as is the later stages where most are really shallow.

It's just the middle ground i struggle with. Quite often i'll get deep, but am sitting shortish stacked past the bubble.
  • edited June 2013
    Standard stuff, dont know what feedback your expecting tbh

Hand 1.  You got what you wanted aa all in pre.

Hand 2. 10 bigs with aq standard shove.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: MTT's:
    Standard stuff, dont know what feedback your expecting tbh Hand 1.  You got what you wanted aa all in pre. Hand 2. 10 bigs with aq standard shove.
    Posted by seppe
    lol yeah mate, my post wasn't very clear. I wasn't looking for feedback on those hands, they play themselves.

I'm seeing if anyone would be up for given me a bit of help with the mid stages of a tournie, talking through some things, maybe look at a few hands.
  • edited June 2013
    I play a load of MTTs and im not too shabby at them even if i do say so myself.  I'll happily take a look at some things if you want.

But as you say a lot of hands do play themselves when you are shortstacked around the bubble, but if you want to ask my opinion on anything specific im happy to bounce some ideas around.  Itd be nice for me too to see what other players think of specific situations.
  • edited June 2013
    I know it sounds obvious but try not to let your stack dwindle as you approach the bubble. It's a great time to chip up and steal blinds. And don't be afraid to try a potentially risky move if you think you can get it through. 

Fortune favours the brave. 
  • edited June 2013
    I know it sounds obvious but try not to let your stack dwindle as you approach the bubble. It's a great time to chip up and steal blinds. And don't be afraid to try a potentially risky move if you think you can get it through.  Fortune favours the brave. 
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    agree with your bubble crack but fortune certianly does not favour the brave and telling him to try risky moves isnt going to help him either because in my experience the majority of people struggle to fold bottom pair on sky, larsson just play TAG and learn how to play certain stack sizes correctly and you will be fine, theres some goot mtt players on sky but there far outweighd by the bad ones, i win fairly consistntantly and im probably a below average player but people will donate there chips to you without you having to do to much!!! gl
  • edited June 2013
    What is important is to get the value from the hands you win which will give you the ability to last through a period without a hand.
    so maybe more focus on squeezing out the value early on is all you need to be targeting for now
  • edited June 2013
    If you want feedback, might be better to post better examples... I mean, that's just two ultra standard spots, if you really want the advice either no hands or hands you feel you could improve on would be better. I don't see the point of those hands...

In my opinion, the mid to late stages are entirely dependent on chip stacks. If you have a smallish stack (sub 12bbs) just look for spots and hands to get your chips in the middle. With a middling stack (anywhere up to 35bbs) I'd be much tighter in opening range, looking solely to open premium hands or in good spots for steals (i.e big 3bet shoves preflop). The reason here is, you don't want to open too many pots and get shoved on- because you're committing large percentages of your stack each time. With a large stack (upwards of 35bbs), you can start bullying the table wherever possible, but do your best to avoid clashing with other large stacks. Focus on attacking the guys you cover at least twice over- they have to really think twice about firing back at you, and you have the advantage of having a playable stack even if you lose. If you lock horns with similar chip stacks, you need to have something massive to go all the way- you're risking a great shot at a win by tangling with them.

That leads to the other concern- watch the stack sizes closely. If they cover you by too much, they can call you wider- so bet your range accordingly, you can get better action from premium hands, but be careful of bluffing. Similarly, small stacks will call wider too out of desperation, so be careful when raising against them. The 10-25bb range is the best to attack, because they have the same problem I said earlier- any chips put in are dangerously close to pot committing.

My opinion is the late stages are where aggression rules. People tighten up massively for the most part in an attempt to ladder up, but the top is where the cash is at. Aim for 1 big cash in 10 rather than 4/5 mincashes in 10.
  • edited June 2013
    think of it like this..... your a good cash player, and thats great you should totally dominate the early stages of the MTTs, early on play it like you would a cash game, you have 100BB so alot of fold equity and alot of implied odds

Once you reach 50BB this is where your game suddenly changes, if your in a speed MTT you cant open too many pots and fold them because the blinds catch up with you so quickly, however if your in 10 minute blinds then your in good shape to steal some blinds and risking a little bit, (remember the gap concept) you have to have a better hand to call a raise with then you need to raise a hand, so start using your position (alot of sky poker MTT players do not understand the gap concept, and will call in the hope to get lucky) these people are great, because they miss 2 in 3, so most of the time they are chucking chips away to you if you play it right.

Once you get down to 30BB again if its a speed your now prety much looking for opportunitys to stack off, in the 10 minute blind levels you have a lot more leniency but your looking to play your strong hands strong, 

Once the blinds go up again if you havent stacked off yet then you will be down to 15BB if you have anything less then 15BB your only move really is all in, but you can be selective how often you do this and with what hands, by this time you know your opponents and what they are playing

The final straw is 5BB if you ever get this low your looking to get all your chips in regardless, you will get called but your looking for 2 live cards at a minimum you will only be 40% chance of surviving unless they wake up with a PP, but you shouldnt be getting this low.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: MTT's : agree with your bubble crack but fortune certianly does not favour the brave and telling him to try risky moves isnt going to help him either because in my experience the majority of people struggle to fold bottom pair on sky, larsson just play TAG and learn how to play certain stack sizes correctly and you will be fine, theres some goot mtt players on sky but there far outweighd by the bad ones, i win fairly consistntantly and im probably a below average player but people will donate there chips to you without you having to do to much!!! gl
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Perhaps I worded it wrong as I'm not telling him to go crazy and start making moves with 9 high. What I meant was again to do with the bubble. If you can identify any players at your table that are just looking to sneak into the money then look to isolate and apply maximum pressure on them.

People play too tight around the bubble, then too loose once it has burst, when it probably should be the other way round.
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks everyone for your responses, some really fantastic posts.

I've sent you a pm gazza.
  • edited June 2013
    Am happy to help Larson if you PM me.
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks everyone for your responses, some really fantastic posts. I've sent you a pm gazza.
    Posted by LARSON7
    replied
  • edited June 2013
    A few tips:

You can get away with not giving 100% attention to an MTT early on when your probably multi tabling and have deep stacks but if you go deep I recomend you close down most tables and concentrate on what you and others are doing. If you get to the final two tables I recomend watching how others are playing on the other table so you have information on them if you meet them later on.

Constantly monitor the chip stacks at your table and how each player is playing them. For exmple, are some short stacks limping too much; are some big stacks involved in most hands; is there a mid stack allin 3 betting alot etc. You need as much information as possible at hand as you well know. 

Just make sure your bets and raises have a reason and you are aware who you will call and who you will fold to BEFORE YOU ACT. If they come over the top which will happen more often late on you will have a much easier decision to make. 

• edited June 2013
    MTT Tournie tonight, about 30 left, get it in AK against AQ and lose! Average is 16 k, this would take me to well above average.

Since i started this thread, i've played 5 tournies, and 3 times i've got knocked out when i've got it in with a dominating Ace lol
    Sparko11 Small blind  200.00 200.00 5715.00
    damac Big blind  400.00 600.00 28426.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • K

thedoge12 Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  800.00 1400.00 11648.25
    -LEON- Raise  1200.00 2600.00 14547.50
    c_a_f_c10 Fold     
    Sparko11 Fold     
    damac Fold     
    LARSON7 All-in  11648.25 14248.25 0.00
    -LEON- Call  11248.25 25496.50 3299.25
    LARSON7 Show
    • A
    • K

-LEON- Show
    • A
    • Q

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

-LEON- Win Two Pairs, Queens and 8s 25496.
  • edited June 2013
    MTT Tournie tonight, about 30 left, get it in AK against AQ and lose! Average is 16 k, this would take me to well above average. Since i started this thread, i've played 5 tournies, and 3 times i've got knocked out when i've got it in with a dominating Ace lol Sparko11 Small blind   200.00 200.00 5715.00 damac Big blind   400.00 600.00 28426.00   Your hole cards A K       thedoge12 Fold         LARSON7 Raise   800.00 1400.00 11648.25 -LEON- Raise   1200.00 2600.00 14547.50 c_a_f_c10 Fold         Sparko11 Fold         damac Fold         LARSON7 All-in   11648.25 14248.25 0.00 -LEON- Call   11248.25 25496.50 3299.25 LARSON7 Show A K       -LEON- Show A Q       Flop     8 2 4       Turn     Q       River     8       -LEON- Win Two Pairs, Queens and 8s 25496.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Just variance. Unlucky. All I would say IMO in early position I would make that 2.5 BB as you don't really want a multiway pot. In late pos a min raise is fine. Just a general rule, it's table dependant. Some tables a min raise is all you need but mostly ppl do like to call and if you get one invariably you'll get another. 
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to MTT's:
    Hey! Is there any decent winning MTT players
    no
  • edited June 2013
    Hi L

3 bad beats isn't extraordinary tbh. consider yourself owed by the poker gods!.

Utg, raise a little bit more...maybe 2.5-3bb. It stops marginals playing even sppr's. Btw, i think you should obliterate Leon's name in the eg above. He doesn't want his tendancies advertised. TBh his raise is poor really and should be 2 !/2 xbb and if this is one third of the eff stack then he should consider AI shove. The raise has no effect whatsoever really. You made the correct play overall and would do the same in the future. Thats fine...keep it up m8!
  • edited June 2013
    Played another MTT on another site.

Was sitting with 10k, 40 left (20 was the bubble) i was about 17th in chips.

Sitting with pocket queens in BB, guy raises, table maniac bets to 2.2k i 4 bet Jam! Initial raiser folds, maniac calls with Ace 8 spades, flop x x x all spades lol

Bit brutal lol

I'm gonna play in the community, 3 games for a fiver 2 morrow night. Never played in it before, but sounds like good fun.

Thanks to the people who said they didn't mind looking at some hands. I'll take a note of crucial/ critical/ interesting hands  and have a look at them later.

Update: Since i started this thread i've played about 8/9 Mtts, ran deepish in most, went out early in 2. I've min cashed once and final tabled once, ending up 4th, getting it in AJ vrs KK, with 10 bb.
  • edited June 2013
    hey m8 i`m not a great mtt player mainly cash for me but hands you have spoke about and posted are just vul getting in ahead and losing this why mtt variance can be so brutal because when you get sucked out on your out this why i prefer cash because if i get sucked out just reload and win my money and some back.

also seen wacko90 posted saying pm for advice I would defo snap this opportunity up the guy is a machine in mtts and don`t even think he plays that many which makes his results even more scary lol.

but gl in improving your mtt game.
  • edited June 2013

Should i just ship this pre?

Or did i do the right thing min raiseing to try andinduce a shove pre?

Bass2Dark Small blind  500.00 500.00 15250.00
    saiman78 Big blind  1000.00 1500.00 7850.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q
    • Q

day4eire76 Fold     
    59 Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  2000.00 3500.00 19917.50
    mcg899 Fold     
    Bass2Dark Fold     
    saiman78 Call  1000.00 4500.00 6850.00
    Flop

saiman78 Check     
    LARSON7 Bet  2250.00 6750.00 17667.50
    saiman78 All-in  6850.00 13600.00 0.00
    LARSON7 Raise  9200.00 22800.00 8467.50
    LARSON7 Unmatched bet  4600.00 18200.00 13067.50
    saiman78 Show
    • J

LARSON7 Show
    • Q
    • Q

Turn

River

saiman78 Win Straight to the Jack 18200.00
  • edited June 2013
    20bb in the cutoff, I prefer the minraise. Think its slightly too much to be open shoving, and both blinds have jamming stacks (more so the SB than the BB). Had someone raised in front of us, then its an easy all in.

Gotta say, it's awful play from the villain and he got pretty lucky. The only saving grace is that you had him well covered.
  • edited June 2013
    min raise all day long with no action before you. ofc if you get 3 bet stick it in pre.

I see you posted this hand because you lost it... you wouldnt be thinking about the raise pre if you'd won.  Try not to be results orientated.  Its the correct play.
  • edited June 2013

I ended up playing a bounty hunter tonight, ended up with no Bounties but min cashed (i wasn't trying to!)

Really happy with how i played, apart from my exit hand (below)

I ran well at the start of the tournie getting up to about 5k.. Lost a bit, then the blinds got up 2 150/300, 200/400 3/6 and i was card dead, grinded a 10 bb stack for like an hour, then manged to get an above average stack, done 3 k on one hand, then my exit hand occurred!

I think i need to ship this pre? Fold or shove? I think it's a mistake calling like i did. On that flop i'm doing my money every day of the week.

no bad beats this tournie!

thisltedu Small blind  400.00 400.00 1822.50 FIELDY1978 Big blind  800.00 1200.00 12105.00   Your hole cards J A       jan1965 Raise  1600.00 2800.00 16517.50 danny420 Fold     LARSON7 Call  1600.00 4400.00 14130.00 thisltedu Fold     FIELDY1978 Call  800.00 5200.00 11305.00 Flop    2 J 6       FIELDY1978 Check     jan1965 Bet  800.00 6000.00 15717.50 LARSON7 All-in  14130.00 20130.00 0.00 FIELDY1978 Fold     jan1965 Call  13330.00 33460.00 2387.50 jan1965 Show 2 2    LARSON7 Show J A    Turn    8       River    10       jan1965 Win Three 2s 33460.00

• edited June 2013
    Personally i like a shove pre. 4bb already in the pot and you have 20bb  before calling.  Thats 1/5 youre stack you can add.... plus you rarely know where you are in a hand with AJ flop wise.

• edited June 2013

Shove or fold pre. Flatting is probably the worst option with >20bb. Be more decisive pre when this shallow. 

As played, almost impossible to get away from.

• edited June 2013
    Only played 1 tournie today, well a free roll haha for a seat to the mini tonight.

10 Qualified for the Mini.

Had another deep run but ended up being knocked out about 20th out of 250th.

This is my exit hand, is this a fair enough to shove Ace 7, given my staack(under 10 bigs) and position?
    Zeroth71 Small blind  1000.00 1000.00 58212.50
    queefy Big blind  2000.00 3000.00 29961.25
      Your hole cards
    • A

Zip_Flash Fold     
    Rkin2 Fold     
    LARSON7 All-in  16747.50 19747.50 0.00
    Zeroth71 Fold     
    queefy Call  14747.50 34495.00 15213.75
    queefy Show
    • J
    • Q

LARSON7 Show
    • A

Flop

• K
    • Q

Turn

River

queefy Win Two Pairs, Queens and 6s 34495.00  49708
  • edited June 2013
    Shoving here is the only thing you can do with 8 bigs.  You run into a better hand... unlucky.  But you cant wait for aces when youre this short as you'll just get blinded out or youl get to a stage where people are calling any two cards to knock you out and even aces dont hold up too good in a multiway pot.

Loose call by villain though I think as he doesnt need to risk over half his starting stack with such a mediocre hand.
  • edited June 2013

With 8bb, you should be shoving almost any 2 cards if it's folded to you on the button. So A7 is a no brainer.