You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Thoughts

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
 Big blind  £0.10 £0.10 £9.66
 Your hole cards
  • K

Fold     
 Fold     
 Fold     
ClintonH83 Raise  £0.30 £0.40 £9.75
 Raise  £0.80 £1.20 £8.86
ClintonH83 Call  £0.60 £1.80 £9.15
Flop

• K

Check     
ClintonH83 Bet  £0.90 £2.70 £8.25
 Call  £0.90 £3.60 £7.96
Turn

Check     
ClintonH83 Bet  £1.80 £5.40 £6.45
 All-in  £7.96 £13.36 £0.00
ClintonH83 Call  £6.16 £19.52 £0.29

Would anyone else call here? I expected if he was going to play he'd re raise pre so i didnt really give him credit for much of a hand.
He check/calls the flop, check/shoves the turn?? What can he have that didnt worry him on the flop? Either way i thought if i was beat which i honestly didnt believe i was i had a flush draw i could hit

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Fold pre

Congrats on your anniversary

• edited June 2013
    Don't mind opening this on the button but just fold to the 3bet. We're not getting exploited by 99% of players by opening the button wide so if they 3bet, it's cos they have a hand they want to 3bet with and not because they've noticed us opening wider.

C-bet fine.

Turn I probably check back. Just don't think we'll get called by worse enough and if we're semi-bluffing then I don't think we'll ever get a better hand than ours to fold.

As played, fold turn, but with the price we've ended up giving ourselves (2to1), it's probably pretty close to a call if we ever think 2pr/trips can give us the best hand.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: Thoughts:
    Don't mind opening this on the button but just fold to the 3bet. We're not getting exploited by 99% of players by opening the button wide so if they 3bet, it's cos they have a hand they want to 3bet with and not because they've noticed us opening wider. C-bet fine. Turn I probably check back. Just don't think we'll get called by worse enough and if we're semi-bluffing then I don't think we'll ever get a better hand than ours to fold. As played, fold turn, but with the price we've ended up giving ourselves (2to1), it's probably pretty close to a call if we ever think 2pr/trips can give us the best hand.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Looking back at it again i agree with what you've said... I got sucked into him being one of them kind of players and forgot that sometimes they do have a hand lol

I expected him to re raise pre and to check raise all in at some point but thought it would be the flop not the turn! Id decided he was blagging but he had pocket 9's
  • edited June 2013

ps. Which is so obvious now haha

• edited June 2013
    Would be checking back on that turn and see what villain does on the river. 
  • edited June 2013
    played it the way i would of done 

sigh when opponent shoves but u have top pair plus 2nd nut draw have to go with it 
  • edited June 2013
    I figured him for 99 before you said it, it really does make perfect sense.

I mean, taking the preflop call out of the equation the flop bet is fine, the turn in a vacuum looks bad because we got shoved on, but I think checking behind or betting are fairly viable options. I would prefer checking, though.

Here's the reasoning- if he flats the turn then open shoves a blank river, can you call? With the stack sizes and pot, that's what you're looking at. If he shoves the turn (as he did) you're in a bad spot. If he folds, you were almost definitely ahead at this point, and there's not a huge amount of river cards that change that (and you have position).

When you check behind, if you miss the flush you've still got top pair as a bluffcatcher for a small value bet on the end. If he open shoves, you can get away easily. If he checks, you can peg him for maybe second pair to try to extract some value. If you hit your hand, it plays out the same way- only whatever happens, you will bet or raise.

I'd only be worried about showing weakness by checking the turn if I have nothing to catch bluffs with on the river- here, if he picks up on your turn 'weakness' you can add a heap of bluffs to give you the price to call most rivers.