You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I give up!

edited July 2013 in Poker Chat

I have tried to return to playing cash on SKY tonight only to have my attempts thwarted by the magical phrase 'High CPU isage by skypoker.exe'.
 I may not own the most up to date piece of technological equipment on which I attempt to play my poker, but what is most frustrating is that I can happily play 4 cash tables, whilst running HEM, on numerous other sites e.g. stars, mr hills, without any lag or poor performance from my laptop.
 On Sky I am getting lag on one table, load up 2 and it is like playing in stutter mode, get to 3 and we disconnect or freeze at least once an orbit, haven't dare attempt 4 as I have visions of my laptop going into meltdown.
 There will be some of you out there who say 'get a new machine', but why should I fork out £500 to play on Sky. 
 I have been given the opportunity to test the new BETA software from next Friday and I am really hoping that this fixes the issue.
 So it is with a heavy heart I dissappear again to play on a site where my laptop is fine, until a hopeful return in a week.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    > in b4 Sky reps tell you it's your fault

Sure as sugar hope the new software will be better for CPU usage. Either way, technology should catch up soon-ish anyway, fingers crossed!
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: I give up!:
    /> in b4 Sky reps tell you it's your fault Sure as sugar hope the new software will be better for CPU usage. Either way, technology should catch up soon-ish anyway, fingers crossed!
    Posted by Smitalos
    Its defo not. 

I had a pretty decent gaming machine, which would barely run 4 tables. - But would run 98% of games with highest graphics settings without breaking sweat - i forked out £300 for a new motherboard, processor and ram. Suddenly i can 12 table without breaking sweat. 

Its the pc thats the problem, but tbh you shouldn't need to have a machine with a redic amount of raam and a strong quad core just to run 4 blooming tables. 

Expessially when you consider most of the poker population is recreational who wants to spend £300+ to have a machine good enough to lose money to smitalos anyways. 
  • edited June 2013
    yea the sw is terrible, i can play 10+ stars on this machine but if i open anymore than 4 sky tables it lags like crazy.
    I had a chat with a air programmer about it as i know FA about air and he said its probably down to bad coding as he's done air dev on some really basic HW (similar spec to a sat nav unit)
    With a £1k machine your lucky if u can run 20 tables (mini) on sky without lag.... and no its not my cpu, ram, gfx card or my internet connection!
    thankfully i cant play 20 tables anyway so my other box is fine :)
  • edited June 2013
    myself cant play early evening on sky have to wait till 11 ish. tables lags like 1o,as first post says the outher site i play is ok,3 tables np. skys software must be very heavey on useage. pity.
  • edited June 2013
    myself cant play early evening on sky have to wait till 11 ish. tables lags like 1o,as first post says the outher site i play is ok,3 tables np. skys software must be very heavey on useage. pity.
    Posted by wayne1958
    now that does sound more like an issue with your network connection.... the time of day or night makes no difference here only the machine i use.... and i have bandwidth varying from 2mbit-100mbit all which work fine. even tunnelling through a vpn when using untrusted networks i have no time of day issues.
  • edited June 2013
    I bought a completely standard/average laptop from Amazon about 3 years ago for just under £300 and I can 7table without the slightest hint of lag, while having Skype, FB etc open.

Just looking at my system info now...

It's an I3 (2.53GHz)
    4Gb RAM (3.8 usable apparently)

I don't think the above is anything special... it can't have been anyway to get for £300 years ago.
  • edited June 2013
    I3 is a very good processor. 
  • edited June 2013
    I agree I3's are good but they're out there cheap depending on what bits you're willing to compromise on...

I just googled 'Amazon Laptops', click top option in google, set filter to £200 - £300, top of the list

I3 for £290, obv whether you wanna go Fujitsu is up to you, but that laptop would have no problem 6-7 tabling imo if mine can.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujitsu-LIFEBOOK-i3-3120M-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B00BQ9HY8U/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1371901434&sr=1-3
  • edited June 2013
    Paul whats the price differance between and I3, I5 and I7 if you can see, i would say those are the 3 best processors on the market by my opinion, the higher the number the better the ability. 
  • edited June 2013
    Don't overlook the AMD processors, still more bang for your buck if you ask me, especially at the lower price points.
  • edited June 2013
    The point is if you have a pc/internet that does everything you want to do apart from play on sky poker why should you have to pay x amount more with no guarantee of success.
    3 pc's 2 broadband suppliers later by the by.
  • edited June 2013
    Frankly, you shouldn't have to. If there's a major issue affecting tons of potential players then the responsibility lies with Sky to fix it or potentially lose customers. Even though it gets mentioned a lot on the forum, I'd wager that serious lag only affects a tiny percentage of the entire player base and in some of these cases I'd bet it isn't entirely the fault of Sky.

Personally if I wanted to play 6-7 tables, and on site A I could do this, and on site B, I explored every avenue (tidying up my PC to reduce background CPU usage etc) and I could still only run 2 tables, then I probably wouldn't play on site B. Everyone has the freedom to play wherever they feel they get the best deal overall.

The new software is coming which no longer uses flash and so should be less processor heavy but in the mean time I just don't see the point in moaning. It's not like Sky have a magic button that could suddenly stop everyone lagging but they've decided to just annoy a load of customers and not press it for a laugh.

P.S. Yeah AMD can't be overlooked either. IMO you can't really be looking to buy a brand new PC/Laptop for much less than £300. Dohhh asked recently for links to good set ups that could run 12 tables on Sky and got plenty around the £300 mark. Obv if you already own one and it's very old then not much you can do about it, but if you're buying and you look around, I can't see why you'd have any problem finding a PC that can handle Sky and still be cheap.
  • edited June 2013
    Why do you assume the new software will be less processor hungry?

When has a new release of any software been less resource-heavy than the previous one?
  • edited June 2013
    Remember only a fraction of players post on the forum.I see the subject of lag brought up in chat at the table alot.
    I only play poker on here.Was going to expand on to other sites and the whole FT issue kicked off.Plus wanted to play in £'s not $'s,I know others do it now but do I trust them?
    Guess I will have to wait for the much vaunted new software and re-evaluate.
  • edited June 2013
    Why do you assume the new software will be less processor hungry? When has a new release of any software been less resource-heavy than the previous one?
    Posted by FCHD
    I guess it's down to the new software not being Flash based. Most people know Flash is a cancer of the computing world (which is why Apple didn't support it on their platform). It's horrifically badly written and is very CPU intensive. So we assume the new version will be bettererer because it isn't based on Flash-AHAH! :)

Modern programmers make me sick. I used to count CPU cycles and optimize code to remove one or two. These days it's just all bloatware.

• edited June 2013

I just don't see the point in moaning. It's not like Sky have a magic button that could suddenly stop everyone lagging but they've decided to just annoy a load of customers and not press it for a laugh.

I don't see any one moaning where just stating facts and hoping sum one may have any ideas , but im sure sky  appreciated you coming to there defence and if you're very lucky they may send you a sky badge  to put next to your blue peter one .lol....

• edited June 2013
    I just don't see the point in moaning. It's not like Sky have a magic button that could suddenly stop everyone lagging but they've decided to just annoy a load of customers and not press it for a laugh.     I don't see any one moaning where just stating facts and hoping sum one may have any ideas , but im sure sky  appreciated you coming to there defence and if you're very lucky they may send you a sky badge  to put next to your blue peter one .lol....
    Posted by wayne1958
    Who was defending Sky?
    Have you posted on the wrong thread perhaps?

• edited July 2013

lags out when I was 3 in a heads up tourney. lost me money.. again.

• edited July 2013
    lags out when I was 3 in a heads up tourney. lost me money.. again.
    Posted by phillfy63
    Put the Sky Poker site on Home when you are playing and don't leave it on the screen where the tables are filling up. This cured the problem for me in an instant. Sky was virtually unplayable in the evenings, like playing in slow motion, always timed out of hands, always losing money because of it. It was driving me up the wall but this solves it because leaving Sky on Home doesn't use up any of your computers CPU, but the table selection screen is heavy on the CPU and causes the lag.
  • edited July 2013
    I have a computer company and all the kit yoiu can wave a stick at, just dont have the ability to multi table!!!! Works fine for me, LOL
  • edited July 2013
    i refuse to multi table because of the lagging.  but i,m glad, because i couldn,t handle the bad beats x 4.
  • edited July 2013
    Skypoker.exe is not responding.  Windows is checking for a solution.  Was starting to think I'd set this as my screen saver.  I don't know the technical details, all I know is sky freezes and lags regularly and I have NEVER experienced it on any other site.