You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

I don't usually post hands but....

edited June 2013 in The Poker Clinic
My boyfriend suggested I did as I cannot stop storming around our flat and I have just nearly kicked the cat. 
I need advice from poker fans.
How did he have the odds to call all the way down?
Did I play it badly?
Did I have to shove on the end?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
R0C066Small blind £0.10£0.10£15.67
tatoheadBig blind £0.20£0.30£39.67
 Your hole cards

bigsquid01Fold    
izzysteerRaise £0.60£0.90£11.90
R0C066Call £0.50£1.40£15.17
tatoheadFold    
Flop

R0C066Bet £0.20£1.60£14.97
izzysteerRaise £1.10£2.70£10.80
R0C066Call £0.90£3.60£14.07
Turn

R0C066Check    
izzysteerBet £1.80£5.40£9.00
R0C066Call £1.80£7.20£12.27
River

• A

R0C066Check    
izzysteerBet £5.40£12.60£3.60
R0C066Call £5.40£18.00£6.87
izzysteerShow

R0C066Show
  • A

R0C066WinPair of Aces£17.10 £23.97

Comments

• edited June 2013
    I probably bet more turn.  Like £2.50 because the board is so wet.   He picks up 4 more outs on the turn... so he's not getting baaad odds.  But thats assuming you dont have a club (which you do).  Not great play by him.  If I get called again... I just check behind on river... especially because its an ace.
  • edited June 2013

It's all fine to the river.

With 99s we have show down value, it's hard for him to call your £5 bet without a hand that's beating you.

What do you do if he re-raises you? You only have £3 behind

If you shove it's only another 3 pound for him  2 call. Havin gone all the way and hut his card i doubt he's folding.

I would have just checked the river for a cheap show down.

• edited June 2013
    As said, think about WHY you bet on the river. 

Extremely unlikely he's going to call a bet with anything that you beat, so just check behind. 

(Was all ok up to then IMO) 
  • edited June 2013
    Hmmm, I think you are right about the river.
    I shouldn't have shoved it-but in my defense I was pretty sure he didn't have the A of clubs simply from his rubbish 20p bet into a 1.60p pot and did put him on some sort of straight draw. I guess my thinking was to rep the A (AK/AQ) of clubs on the end by jamming. 
    He did take quite a while thinking but I totally agree that I messed up on the end and I really didn't think he had an ace.
  • edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: I don't usually post hands but....:
    Hmmm, I think you are right about the river. I shouldn't have shoved it-but in my defense I was pretty sure he didn't have the A of clubs simply from his rubbish 20p bet into a 1.60p pot and did put him on some sort of straight draw. I guess my thinking was to rep the A (AK/AQ) of clubs on the end by jamming.  He did take quite a while thinking but I totally agree that I messed up on the end and I really didn't think he had an ace.
    Posted by izzysteer

If you put him on a draw/ pair draw combo then when you bet the river your not 'repping' the A, your value betting your 99 looking to get called by worse unless your turning your hand into a bluff. 
    Really though as others have said checking back the river is optimal. When we make the river bet over time were going to win the pot by making our opponent fold (very likely to be an inferior hand) or get called by better and lose an extra £5 when we could have just checked back. It's going to be pretty rare that we will extract value by getting called by a worse hand unless we have solid reads. So your basically turning your hand into a bluff when we have showdown value and can have the best hand a decent % of the time.  
    However if we have say QJ with a club, and we were barreling with equity, then the river is a good card to bet as we are certainly betting as a bluff as we have no showdown value with Q high and we can have alot of A in our range and can therefore get better hands to fold with that bet.

Pre flop, flop and turn were all played well though.

• edited June 2013
    In Response to Re: I don't usually post hands but....:
    In Response to Re: I don't usually post hands but.... : If you put him on a draw/ pair draw combo then when you bet the river your not 'repping' the A, your value betting your 99 looking to get called by worse unless your turning your hand into a bluff.  Really though as others have said checking back the river is optimal. When we make the river bet over time were going to win the pot by making our opponent fold (very likely to be an inferior hand) or get called by better and lose an extra £5 when we could have just checked back. It's going to be pretty rare that we will extract value by getting called by a worse hand unless we have solid reads. So your basically turning your hand into a bluff when we have showdown value and can have the best hand a decent % of the time.   However if we have say QJ with a club, and we were barreling with equity, then the river is a good card to bet as we are certainly betting as a bluff as we have no showdown value with Q high and we can have alot of A in our range and can therefore get better hands to fold with that bet. Pre flop, flop and turn were all played well though.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    I concur and really appreciate everyone's advice and have definitely taken it on board.

I will certainly being using the forum more now as it's nice to discuss hands with people who quite clearly know what they are talking about rather than friends who often bored stiff.

Again thanks guys!
  • edited June 2013
    think u have played it fine till the river 

ya turning ya hand into a bluff as u only get called by a hand thats beating u so save the £5.40 and check it as u have a decent enough showdown hand 

• edited June 2013
    the opponent has played it so badly lol 

i mean what is he doing in the pot by the turn but its how we play the hand not the opponent 
  • edited June 2013
    high quality poker replies but everyone seems to have missed one critical point

you should have kicked the cat

i mean they have 9 lives